Beckman ends bristol run in quarterfinals (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]BECKMAN ENDS BRISTOL RUN IN QUARTERFINALS

BRISTOL, Tenn. (June 20, 2010) - Under hot, steamy conditions for the third straight day at the 10th annual NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway, No. 5 qualifier Jack Beckman raced the Valvoline/Mail Terminal Services Dodge Charger Funny Car into the quarterfinal round before being bumped out by Del Worsham.

The California native first defeated Jim Head in the opening round, besting him by 16 feet with a 4.243-second elapsed time at 285.47 mph to Head's losing 4.296/268.17. When he faced Worsham in the quarterfinal, Beckman launched first by three hundredths of a second but, when both cars lost traction, Worsham recovered first to take the win with a 4.530/206.74 to Beckman's losing 5.120/208.17.

For the second round, the track temperature had risen to 138 degrees. "Any time the track is 138 degrees, short of the officials getting out there and hosing it down with ice cold water and then letting it dry, there's just not much you can do," said Beckman, who holds on to fourth in the class point standings.

"Backing down 8000 horsepower is a very slippery slope to walk on. And Del and I both smoked the tires. It's exciting for a driver to have a chance to win it in a pedalfest, and we just smoked them a little bit earlier.

"It's frustrating. And I think it's great that I'm frustrated because I know that we're so close to being back in the winner's circle and maybe doing it a couple of races in a row. Just having that anticipation knowing that this team and this car are that good is encouraging.

"I think every single Sunday we're capable of winning, so when we don't it's disappointing and I think that's a great position to be in, to always expect to win. So, I expect in seven more days we're going to get that trophy in Norwalk," he added, with a smile.

Next up is the fourth annual NHRA Nationals at Norwalk, Ohio, June 25-27.

UNOFFICIAL FUNNY CAR POINT STANDINGS, after 12 of 23 events:
1. John Force, 933 (winner today)
2. Robert Hight, 875
3. Matt Hagan, 807
4. Jack Beckman, 778
5. Ashley Force Hood, 768
6. Bob Tasca III, 759
7. Ron Capps, 697
8. Del Worsham, 666
9. Tim Wilkerson, 665 (runner-up today)
10. Tony Pedregon, 605

Attachments