Ashley Sanford racing in Australia this weekend (1 Viewer)

Canopys have been around since the 1950's. The Dragliner from 1955, and the Glass Slipper from late 50's come to mind. Larry Bowers in 1972. Wonder why they never caught on in T/F? Oh yeah, weight...

Canopys have been around since the 1950's. The Dragliner from 1955, and the Glass Slipper from late 50's come to mind. Larry Bowers in 1972. Wonder why they never caught on in T/F? Oh yeah, weight...
Just wondering how long have you’ve been going to the races you seem to know a lot

Hi Sam. I was born in Los Angeles and my first track was San Fernando Drags in 1961, when I was around 14. I'm 72 now. Have loved drag racing all these years. I like to read about the races and find out about what makes the cars tick. We have some really smart people who post on Nitromater, and I have learned a lot from them. I have been blessed to see a lot of drag racing history over the years. The one that comes to mind is Don Garlits at Lions Drag Strip in 1970. That is where he had the accident that cut his front engined dragster in half; also took off the front half of his right foot. Horrible accident, I thought he'd been killed. I was in the grand stands on the starting line, so saw the whole thing. One year later, Garlits came back to Lions with the "back motor" car, his version of the rear engined dragster. He won Pomona in 1971 with that car and he turned Top Fuel upside down. By 1972, almost everyone had switched and the cars you see today are a direct result of Garlits' 1971 car. I didn't realize then how Garlits' accident would change the sport, but it did. I guess you could say I have a sense of history about drag racing. I know some things about the 1950's, when everything started. Didn't see it, but have seen photos, etc, so I know about things like the Bustle Bomb, Lloyd Scott, who broke the 150 MPH barrier in 1955, and people had thought that would be the final barrier in drag racing. The car was a twin, had an Olds engine in the front and a Cadillac in the back, & Scott sat in the middle. Was heavy, but it was fast. Stuff like that is interesting to me, cuz it shows how drag racing has progressed over the years. Anyhoo, that's my story. Just for yuks & grins, if you go on Google and type in Cliff Morgan Drag Racing, an article comes up that was published by Phil Burgess at NHRA, and it tells a little about me and shows some photos I took years ago. I do give free autographs. :)

Hi Sam. I was born in Los Angeles and my first track was San Fernando Drags in 1961, when I was around 14. I'm 72 now. Have loved drag racing all these years. I like to read about the races and find out about what makes the cars tick. We have some really smart people who post on Nitromater, and I have learned a lot from them. I have been blessed to see a lot of drag racing history over the years. The one that comes to mind is Don Garlits at Lions Drag Strip in 1970. That is where he had the accident that cut his front engined dragster in half; also took off the front half of his right foot. Horrible accident, I thought he'd been killed. I was in the grand stands on the starting line, so saw the whole thing. One year later, Garlits came back to Lions with the "back motor" car, his version of the rear engined dragster. He won Pomona in 1971 with that car and he turned Top Fuel upside down. By 1972, almost everyone had switched and the cars you see today are a direct result of Garlits' 1971 car. I didn't realize then how Garlits' accident would change the sport, but it did. I guess you could say I have a sense of history about drag racing. I know some things about the 1950's, when everything started. Didn't see it, but have seen photos, etc, so I know about things like the Bustle Bomb, Lloyd Scott, who broke the 150 MPH barrier in 1955, and people had thought that would be the final barrier in drag racing. The car was a twin, had an Olds engine in the front and a Cadillac in the back, & Scott sat in the middle. Was heavy, but it was fast. Stuff like that is interesting to me, cuz it shows how drag racing has progressed over the years. Anyhoo, that's my story. Just for yuks & grins, if you go on Google and type in Cliff Morgan Drag Racing, an article comes up that was published by Phil Burgess at NHRA, and it tells a little about me and shows some photos I took years ago. I do give free autographs. :)
Nice story cliff I just read it a I enjoyed it I loved your pictures I liked the swap rat 17 and Prudhomme’s 1,200 pound digger. I wish I could see the races back then, thank you

It sounds like she’s going to be racing with AJ but she said one of their deals feel Thur. But it looks like she has a deal with Visio

Yep. Just wondered if anyone else heard. They had a great company on board that would have been a perfect fit but at the last minute the boss unfortunately had second thoughts.

Yep. Just wondered if anyone else heard. They had a great company on board that would have been a perfect fit but at the last minute the boss unfortunately had second thoughts.
Who was it, so I know not to buy their stuff (kind of joking, kind of not).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't she supposed to drive for DSR at one time? Would be great to see her in the NHRA!

yeh i was wondering if they are ever going to announce something.... i always thought you keep things on the downlow till the money is in the bank. for months now we keep reading about a "possible" deal with Ashley, AJ and Red Wings....

AJ had the deal(s) lined up. Everything was a go. Then the rug got pulled at the last possible minute on the major source of funding at the PRI show, unfortunately. Very well known company with a good reputation that's been a big supporter of a lot of great teams and events.

I didn't realize Red Wings sponsored JFR for the countdown last season(2018). Came across that during a Google search. I don't guess that could have any impact on them working with her, could it?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back