Arana boys to headline NHRA Tour de Charity this Saturday in Sonoma (1 Viewer)

SONOMA, Calif. (March 18) -- Pro Stock Motorcycle points leader Hector Arana Jr. and his rookie-of-the-year candidate brother Adam Arana will take on a group of select race fans this Saturday as part of Sonoma Raceway's 11th annual NHRA Tour de Charity.

The fundraising event is hosted by Speedway Children's Charities, with all proceeds going to Sonoma County youth groups. The Arana brothers follow a long line of NHRA competitors who have raced fans for charity on Sonoma Raceway's kart track.

"It's always an honor to be able to represent Lucas Oil and to be able to do something for charity," Arana Jr. said after his season-opening win in Florida aboard the Lucas Oil Buell. "We're really excited to represent Lucas Oil and we love go-karts. We're looking forward to racing on that awesome track in Sonoma."

Arana Jr. won the Auto Club Road to the Future Award as the NHRA's top rookie in 2011, while Adam is hoping to do enough in his inaugural campaign on his ProtectTheHarvest.com-sponsored Buell to repeat the feat this season.

"It's cool to be able to represent Forrest and Charlotte Lucas and to help out Speedway Children's Charities," Adam said. "I've always dreamed about flying across the USA representing Lucas Oil and Protect The Harvest. It's very neat. That's definitely one of the perks of racing and having such a great sponsor: We get to do lots of cool stuff. I'm glad Forrest and Charlotte are allowing me to race, and I'm so excited to go to Sonoma."

The event has raised nearly $110,000 since its inception in 2003. And while the race will be in good fun, the Aranas are racers - and brothers.

"I'll take him out if I have to," Adam said with a smile.

Arana Jr. wasn't quite as forceful.

"It depends on the karts," he said. "I don't want to wreck Sonoma's go-karts. But I might have to spin him out. We'll have to do some bump-drafting.

"We're racers. We shouldn't be racing if we weren't going to try to win."

The event will be limited to 40 fans, and the cost is $325 and includes a full day of karting with the drivers, autographs, lunch, and the chance to compete in a 10-lap timed qualifying event for a grand prize.

The Simraceway Performance Driving Center, which operates the karting center, will provide the karts, race suits, classroom instruction and on-track pointers for all competitors. There will be giveaways during the day, and the top 10 race fans will compete in a 10-lap timed race at the end of day for the NHRA Experience. This package includes two tickets to the NHRA Sonoma Nationals on July 26-28.

To reserve a spot in the Tour de Charity, call 707-933-3950 or e-mail [email protected].

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back