Antron Brown saw Big Daddy and Kenny Berstein run side by side at E-Town!! When?? (1 Viewer)

Bullet

Nitro Member
On the little profile segment ESPN had on Antron Brown over the weekend Antron said that he saw Big Daddy Don Garlits and Kenny Bernstein race side by side at E-Town at the Summernationals when he was a kid.

I want to know when that was?? Gar retired back in '87 and KB didn't get in a TF car until around 1990. Maybe it was after Gar brought the Monostrut car out??

Hmmmm.....

Don't think he ever ran that car at E-town, Paul. I think maybe he meant to say that he saw them race at E-town when he was a youngster. No other way to put a spin on it. It was an eroneous statement. IMHO.

Late..................Mitch

Bernstein start driving fuel dragsters in about 1967-68 in Texas. Drove for Prentiss Cunningham and the Caroll Bros to name two. Drove for several years.

Yeah I caught that too. No way they raced eachother. It is possible KB raced Bruce Lasron driving SW 32.

Bit of trivia- Garlits did not compete in eliminations in 86 or 87 at E-town. Garlits tiped it over backwards in 86, and was replaced in the field by Jerry Marconi. Big then DNQ'd in 1987.

Last edited:
On the little profile segment ESPN had on Antron Brown over the weekend Antron said that he saw Big Daddy Don Garlits and Kenny Bernstein race side by side at E-Town at the Summernationals when he was a kid.

I want to know when that was?? Gar retired back in '87 and KB didn't get in a TF car until around 1990. Maybe it was after Gar brought the Monostrut car out??

Hmmmm.....

are you that bored? wow ....maybe the dude was excited?

First off, Ant wasn't even born in the '60's, so that's out of the equation.

Garlits DID NOT retire in '87. I saw him run in Ennis in this decade!;)

Guys... did you not see the footage they showed of Garlits and Bernstein running side by side during Antron's segment!?!?

mabey antron was just reading the script cards that were held up for him to get that "ata boy" story going.

However, Brandon did run Garlits in 2003 at Atlanta in the first round.

That might be where the footage came from.

Look what I found....from 2003
"In the opening round of eliminations, Bernstein faced legendary Don Garlits. Ironically, it was the first time a Bernstein had ever raced Garlits. Brandon's father Kenny never had that opportunity. When Garlits was campaigning the NHRA circuit in his Top Fuel dragster, Kenny was dominating Funny Car competition. When Kenny switched to the Top Fuel category in 1990, Garlits was racing on an intermittent basis. "
Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Southern Nationals presented by Pontiac: Brandon Bernstein Budweiser/Lucas Oil Top Fueler

<disclaimer: I didn't hear or see the story. I'm only commenting on what was posted here. :) >

Hmmmm.....

I'm glad we don't have tv cameras at the nostalgia digs.

The things I've said after gettin' out would make a truck driver blush...

I think it was a 'off the cuff' comment, no harm, no foul.

I'm glad we don't have tv cameras at the nostalgia digs.

The things I've said after gettin' out would make a truck driver blush...

I think it was a 'off the cuff' comment, no harm, no foul.

Hey Jeff, do you guys ever run over here in TX. I would love to see you guys run.

One thing I regret is having never seen Big Daddy in action.

It was a sight to behold... and he did it with a lot less equipment than the teams are using today, or even then. Granted, we're in different times, but even then a lot of guys were using gigantic haulers and such while 'Big' still used a much smaller trailer - and he still kicked arse!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back