Angie Smith vs. Hector Arana III in U.S. Nationals Rematch (1 Viewer)

CONCORD, N.C. – Two weeks ago at the U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis, North Carolina native Angie Smith faced Hector Arana III in the first round of eliminations. Smith cut a .009 reaction time against the second-generation racer and was beat at the line by a mere .002 seconds. Arana would go on to win the prestigious race.

Angie didn’t have to wait long for a second chance at Arana. She is once again paired with him for Sunday’s O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Nationals at zMAX Dragway in E1 after qualifying ninth with a 6.920 second ET. Her first qualifying run of the weekend was a 6.901, but was thrown out after Shawn Gann, the rider in the opposite lane, weaved near the center line and knocked out a timing cone.

Despite the Q1 misadventure, Angie, the wife and teammate of former class champion Matt Smith, sees the positives in the event so far.

“We’ve had a good weekend,” she said. “I made three out of four laps down the track. On that last pass, we didn’t have enough clutch in it and the pass before that, we didn’t shift but we think we know why it didn’t shift. I feel good about tomorrow. Hopefully, I’ll win by two inches and not lose by two inches.

“We’re just going to go into race day like we always do with the mentality that I have to cut a good light and make a good run and hopefully, I’ll get the win light.”

Former PSM champion and Countdown to 1 top seed Eddie Krawiec maintained his No. 1 status with his 6.833 second pass at 196.70 mph and will face Steve Johnson, winner of the first-ever race here, in the first round.

Eliminations are expected to begin Sunday at Noon EDT with pre-race ceremonies scheduled for 11 a.m. Spectator gates open 9:30 a.m. For more information on this weekend’s event or for tickets, click HERE.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 16
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back