Alan Johnson Racing (1 Viewer)

These are my .02, I think selling drag racing is a hard sale to companies. I have heard the tv ratings are not worth the investment these companies spend. I use to attend anywhere from 1-4 national events a year. Hadn't been to one since 2009 when I returned to Chicago this year. From what I seen, the average race fan looks like your avg Joe who is taking his kids or going out with his buddies to have a few beers and watch some of those loud fast cars. 6 years ago when I went it seemed like half or more of the people were decked out in there favorite drivers shirt and/or hat and you could hold a conversation in the stands about who was running well and such. It just seems to me the people attending races have changed. Those average people are not going to go buy castrol oil or miller lite just because John Force or Larry Dixon has that on the side or there car. Just using those 2 as examples. Your sport needs the average person come to the races to grow but you also need those people who always come, to always come to the races. Just my 2 cents worth.

Maybe the list of top drivers and teams sitting on the sidelines will be getting longer.

To play the game in many of the Pro Classes takes a small fortune or finding sponsor will to foot the bills.

For the N.H.R.A. it is a real life catch 22 trying to draw more spectators and sponsors while many of the top drivers and teams sitting on the side lines.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

I'm not trying to make this political but I think you will she a major shift in the economy and people's income after this next election, of course it will take some time at the start but just a change in peoples thinking will play a big part in it's recovery.

I don't think the economy has a huge impact on race team sponsorships. The fact is NHRA is a poor choice for advertising from an ROI perspective. Sure a great economy in theory will yield more butts in the seats, but right now, not only are people not going to the races, they aren't watching them on TV. For the first time since the TNN days, I did not watch any of the Western Swing races. Outside of some semi-surprise winners in Pro Stock, I don't think I missed much? Its just too plug and play these days. If you have a zillion $'s, go out and buy AJ's stuff and you can be an instant contender. If you don't have the $, TFB. In the "Good OL" days, if you were a bad ass mechanic or fabricator, get a few of your buddy's and go mix it up with the big boys. The Chi-town Hustler comes to mind.
The bad news is banner ads on Facebook are a ten fold better advertising option compared to NHRA. Folks today prefer to kill brain cells indoors online (Hey, that's what were doing now, right?), rather than outside sniffing nitro. The great news is NHRA is making big moves to improve their TV position!

The great news is NHRA is making big moves to improve their TV position!

I hope you are right on that....I think Fox is a great choice but if they don't try to retain current drag racing announcing....they are toast...look at what happened to the US Open with Joe Buck....jesus...didn't sports world learn anything with having to listen to Chris Berman's fat ass try to announce one of those a few years back? Ughhhh

Richard Bell wrote the following, "The fact is NHRA is a poor choice for advertising from an ROI perspective"

I hate to say this but you are correct!!! That's part of the reason why teams cannot find sponsors these day's.

I guess there is some consultation in the fact that it is not only different forms of racing people are not watching on TV but other sports as well are way off with the TV numbers.

Peoples interests are changing after years and years it hard to accept but the reality is it is happening. I don't care who gets the job of running the N.H.R.A. this problem will not be easy to fix.

Jim Hillhttp://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

That's what I saying in my earlier post if peoples life start improving there will be more butts in the seats. When that happens and the manufactures she more involvement in the sport they will look at investing in the sport. The investors don't have to be automotive related hell Danica got a 3+ year sponsor for 30 races a year and they are food service. Getting Fox Sports is a great step for NHRA, there will be a lot more TV exposure, now it will be how NHRA promotes its product to see how effective it will be.

I don't think the economy has a huge impact on race team sponsorships. The fact is NHRA is a poor choice for advertising from an ROI perspective. Sure a great economy in theory will yield more butts in the seats, but right now, not only are people not going to the races, they aren't watching them on TV. For the first time since the TNN days, I did not watch any of the Western Swing races. Outside of some semi-surprise winners in Pro Stock, I don't think I missed much? Its just too plug and play these days. If you have a zillion $'s, go out and buy AJ's stuff and you can be an instant contender. If you don't have the $, TFB. In the "Good OL" days, if you were a bad ass mechanic or fabricator, get a few of your buddy's and go mix it up with the big boys. The Chi-town Hustler comes to mind.
The bad news is banner ads on Facebook are a ten fold better advertising option compared to NHRA. Folks today prefer to kill brain cells indoors online (Hey, that's what were doing now, right?), rather than outside sniffing nitro. The great news is NHRA is making big moves to improve their TV position!
Richard, I don't argue with your ROI comments. However, you did miss a ton, not watching the Western swing races. From the track records being obliterated in Sonoma and Seattle to the unbelievable run Beckman had in Sonoma and Seattle, running times no one thought possible, those were some compelling races to watch.

If you have a zillion $'s, go out and buy AJ's stuff and you can be an instant contender.If you don't have the $, TFB. In the "Good OL" days, if you were a bad ass mechanic or fabricator, get a few of your buddy's and go mix it up with the big boys.
Richard - Actually, you don't need a zillion bucks or AJPE parts. You form DSM, put in a few 5 axis machines, some CMM equipment and hire a guy to code what comes out of the machines. Result: #'s 1 & 2 in T/F and #'s 1, 2 & 3 in F/C. Not sure who those "Contenders" are who have spent a zillion bucks on AJPE parts.

the new contract with Fox going forward should help get some sponsor opportunities. May be time to focus on 2016

Outstanding run. Would have been interesting to see what it would have been if it was running on all 8 cylinders.
Unfortunately they didn't win but it looks like the new combination is finally coming together.
Both T/F and F/C were phenomenal.

Not to shabby today with that 3.66. The 1/8 mile 2.93 @ 299 was insane.
This particular incremental instantly transported me back to that era in 1992 of "who will break the 300 mph barrier?" except now it is to the 1/8th mile.

I am trying to wrap my brain around 299 mph to the 1/8th.

The heck is gonna happen at Maple Grove? I feel like history will be made there. Wish I could afford to go!

.......The heck is gonna happen at Maple Grove? I feel like history will be made there. Wish I could afford to go!
history was yesterday, doubt maple grove will produce any TF 3.5's or FC 3.7's.....maybe a FC over 330.
yesterday sitting w/paul songas our jaws hit the bleachers more than once; it was truly spectacular....hagan's .87 and langdon's .66.
are you kidding me?.....there were many aborted runs that had 60' and 330' times on par w/those two runs.

Well I think I predicted several weeks ago that AJP will get their new combo figured out and start winning again and end up either 1st or second at the seasons end.
Hopefully that 3.66 will open up some corporate wallets.

In the interest of fair reporting in regards to my statement "I don't think I missed much" by not watching Sonoma and Seattle, Brainerd did not disappoint. What a great race, I bet the trend continues!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back