Advance Auto bought out by Carquest (1 Viewer)

T.J.

Nitro Member
I wonder if anything will change with Cruz's spomsorship with Advance Auto Parts now that they were bought out by Carquest. I hope they will stay with him after the buout.:confused:

Hope so.....since they (CarQuest) don't seem to like to sponsor teams. At least "our" kind of teams......;)

Didn't they sponsor Paul Romine a few years back? I believe they sponsored a national event also. Maybe I am imagining things......

That sponsorship switched from IHRA to NHRA when Hooters sponsored the IHRA. Then they came to the NHRA with (I forget the name of the team
owner but it was the Montana Express) But remember they were parked or something for too many oildowns. Haven't seen them since.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

First, hopefully, Cruz has a multi-year contract.

Second, Cruz is a great assett to Advanced. Crossover appeal. A popular guy across the board. He's GOT to bring in Hispanic customers and given the Spanish language content in their ads and web material, that's important to them.

Still, stranger things have happened.

Didn't they sponsor Paul Romine a few years back? I believe they sponsored a national event also. Maybe I am imagining things......

Yes...they did....but for quite sometime now....they won't do anything with a drag racing team...(anything decent anyway) until the '09 season...when their "roundy-round" contracts are up. Although they still like to use the shots of Paul running th TF car in some of their commericals!

:p:p:p

That's what I think about that.... ;)

That sponsorship switched from IHRA to NHRA when Hooters sponsored the IHRA. Then they came to the NHRA with (I forget the name of the team
owner but it was the Montana Express) But remember they were parked or something for too many oildowns. Haven't seen them since.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct, Romine partnered with John Mitchell, owner of the Montana Express from the details I know.

I wonder how all these auto supply stores even stay in business anymore? Whenever I walk into a parts store I'm usually the only customer in the joint. Must be the professional garages keep them all going. No one I know can fix a damn thing on their personal driver car nowadays. My 96 Silverado and wifeys Monte Carlo go to the pros for service, and the jiffy lubes for oil changes. I can do most of the repairs on my Merc, but the new vehicles? Ha! I can't even identify half the stuff under the hood! And I also wonder how many muffler shops would be in business if they didn't do brakes and struts and stuff. I haven't had a exhaust problem on a vehicle in years.

And I also wonder how many muffler shops would be in business if they didn't do brakes and struts and stuff. I haven't had a exhaust problem on a vehicle in years.

Given the MANY horror stories I hear of places like MIDAS and Mineke scamming people, I'm amazed they're still in business at all. :rolleyes:

And I also wonder how many muffler shops would be in business if they didn't do brakes and struts and stuff. I haven't had a exhaust problem on a vehicle in years.

That's one of the reasons we do all that we do @ our shop. Exhaust work alone...wouldn't keep you alive. Although we do a lot of custom stuff...and even some on a few pretty cool cars that have sold @ Barrett Jackson. :)

Most folks that come in for exhaust work....aren't coming in for problems...they come in for higher flowing systems, custom duals...etc.

Funny. We just had an Advance Auto Parts open in our town last week. It's the first "big" (i.e. nationwide) chain store in our town. It's also about two miles up the road from a CarQuest dealer. Being a small town, many people were screaming that it would take business away from the smaller parts business, but most people don't have a clue how much wholesale business the CarQuest dealer does. The Advance will be great for people who just want to get their oil and filter and not drive 25 minutes away to get a better price. Of course, it'll also be great for the kids to buy those damn resonators for their exhaust too.

It just occurred to me (I'm a little slow<G>), there's no reason Advanced/Carquest shouldn't be more aggressive about using NHRA and Cruz as a recruiting medium.

(See recent conversations regarding Caterpillar and their recruiting R-O-I.)

God knows, most of the Auto Parts stores REALLY need employees who have more than a passing interest in cars and parts. In my neck of the woods, ability to communicate in Spanish would be an enormous plus.

Out here on the West coast, we don't have Advance but we have carquests.
The local QC is always empty but does lots of wholesale to the repair shps.
CQ also sponsors the Pomona race.

So is the AA brand being changed to CQ?

I worked at Advance Auto over this summer, and they stay in business because they sell parts (and parts can be expensive)... On average we sold about 8,000 dollars a day from walk-ins, and our "commercial" accounts (repair shops, landscaping companies, etc...) by far exceeded walk-in sales... And that is a small town that the store was in... So they make enough even though they aren't busy on the inside...

they advertise Cruz like crazy in that store... They had until a few weeks ago something they called "Advance TV" and Cruz was always on it... I had a chance to talk with the motorsports marketing director at Advance, and they love Cruz...

CJ Curtsinger

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back