ADRL Bringing Record-Breaking Event to Rockingham Dragway (2 Viewers)

O’FALLON, MO (Sep. 6, 2008) — When the Flowmaster American Drag Racing League (ADRL) presented by the National Guard visits Rockingham Dragway Sep. 12-13, to stage its most historic event, Hushpower Dragstock V, expect records to fall.

Reigning ADRL Pro Extreme world champion Jason Scruggs stunned the drag racing world last year at “The Rock” when he made the first-ever 200-mph pass from a standing start over an eighth mile and lowered the official elapsed time record to an unreal 3.70 seconds—both feats that so far no other driver has come even close to matching.

“I really enjoy racing in the Carolinas and especially in Rockingham,” said Scruggs, who this season replaced the 1963 Corvette he drove at Dragstock IV with a 2006 Dodge Stratus. “We’re finally figuring out the new car and I think if conditions are good again this year we might be able to see 206 or 207 mph, but I think that .70 is going to be tough to beat.”

Certainly looking to join him in the 200-mph club will be current Pro Extreme points leader and defending Dragstock champion Joshua Hernandez, 2006 world champ Bubba Stanton and title contenders Travis Swearingen and Wes Johnston, among others.

“I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see any of those guys and maybe others go 200 at Rockingham,” ADRL President Kenny Nowling stated. “In fact, I will be surprised if we don’t see someone else run the number. It just seems like Rockingham and Dragstock really brings out the best in our racers.”

The Pro Nitrous contingent heads to Rockingham led by Shannon Jenkins, the only two-time Dragstock champion (2005, 2006) and winner of the ADRL’s most recent event last month in Norwalk , Ohio , where he also set a new speed record (192.91 mph) in the final round. Also hot in ’08 has been points leader Billy Harper, winner of three consecutive events earlier this season, and teammate Dennis Radford, who will debut a new 1970 Plymouth Duster at Dragstock V.

Extreme 10.5 leader Mike Hill has struggled a little at the last couple of events, but in returning to his more familiar southern climes, informed observers expect “The Hitman” to turn in a much-improved performance. Fellow Georgian Steve Kirk Jr. also should be a frontrunner, but it’s Indiana ’s Billy Glidden who has been stealing all the headlines lately after winning two-straight races and lowering the class E.T. record to 4.22 seconds with his Ford-powered GTO. Also watch for Norwalk winner David Janes and defending series champ Steve Gorman, who at Dragstock V is debuting a new, bigger engine in his 2001 Grand Am.

Up on two wheels, 2007 Pro Extreme Motorcycle world champion Billy Vose will be looking to make it two in a row at Rockingham after winning in Norwalk and rookie Matt Prophit, who currently heads up the points list, will be anxious for his career-first win after coming up short in the past two finals. Prophit’s brother and teammate, Charlie Prophit also promises to be a Dragstock contender, as do Nikie Corley, Ron Procopio and Coodee Thomas, all race winners this year.

Rockingham Dragway owner Steve Earwood also is very pleased to be hosting the second leg of the two-race Sonny’s Extreme Pro Stock Challenge presented by Purvis Ford at Dragstock V. Robert Patrick won the first-ever Extreme Pro Stock race in July at Budds Creek, Maryland, and would love to double up in North Carolina, but drivers like Maryland runner-up Kelly Martin, number-one qualifier Frank Gugliotta, Pete Berner and John Montecalvo will all be looking to spoil Patrick’s plans.

“Adding the mountain-motor Pro Stocks, I don’t think the ADRL could have added anything more exciting for fans here in the Deep South ,” said Earwood, a 36-year veteran of the sport. He also likes the ADRL’s unique marketing method of providing complimentary tickets to its events; all paid for by series sponsors Flowmaster and the National Guard.

“Dragstock has become one of our most important events,” he said. “Because of the ticket situation I’ve been able to go to our community colleges and give them tickets for all their alumni and staff, I’ve been able to go to local Chambers (of Commerce) and it’s such a great calling card to be able to walk in there with a stack of free tickets to this great event. It’s just helped us immeasurably. I just ask that everyone shows up hungry.”

The ADRL’s Hushpower Dragstock V gets underway Sep. 12, with practice for all five pro classes beginning at 1 p.m. and one round of qualifying scheduled for 6:30 p.m. On Saturday (Sep. 13), round two of qualifying is set for one hour after the gates open for spectators at 9 a.m. and a third and last qualifying session will start at 1 p.m. Eliminations will begin at 4:30 p.m., with the day’s racing expected to wrap up about 10 p.m., with a massive starting-line fan celebration of the winners to follow.

Photo courtesy ADRL Communications.

ABOUT FLOWMASTER
Flowmaster, Inc. is housed in two ultra-modern facilities in Santa Rosa and West Sacramento , California , together totaling over 400,000 square feet. Flowmaster employs over 250 workers dedicated to building the highest quality U.S.-made exhaust products available. Flowmaster’s product line includes exhaust products for Performance Street , Muscle Cars, Trucks, Street Rods, RVs, Motorhomes, and all types of race applications. With more than 400 different muffler models, 370-plus exhaust systems and numerous exhaust accessories available, Flowmaster offers the choice to fit your specific vehicle needs, or your sound preference from "wild to mild."

ABOUT THE NATIONAL GUARD
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States and one of the nation’s longest enduring institutions. The National Guard operates in all 50 states, three territories (Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands) and the District of Columbia . For more information on the National Guard, visit www.1-800-GO-GUARD.com | HOME.

ABOUT THE ADRL
Based in O’Fallon, Missouri , the American Drag Racing League is the nation’s premier sanctioning body for the sport of eighth-mile drag racing. The professional categories featured in the ADRL are Pro Extreme Motorcycle, Extreme 10.5, Pro Nitrous, and Pro Extreme, the quickest doorslammer class in all of drag racing. The 2008 Flowmaster ADRL series presented by the National Guard consists of nine national events run throughout the United States . For more information on the ADRL, visit ADRL.us :: Home.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back