660'? (1 Viewer)

LMAO and they think they have attendance problems now???? NHRA you go to 660 you can count me out.

There was a post a few days ago on another site that looked like an official NHRA announcement. However, it wasn't written very well which lead most people to believe that is was a fake. See for yourself...

Once again NHRA is considering shortening the race surface distance for T/F at least and possibly the A/FC as well.
due to the DSR dragster running an outstanding 325 in qualifying at Las Vegas on a 1000 foot track -the specter of speed related accident's has again reached critical mass.
We at NHRA cannot wait for another accident to act in this matter.
not wishing to take performance related technology from the engines or alter current clutch/traction/ or down force (wing and canard) configuration's, shortening the racing distance again loom's as the viable place to look for the safety issues.
NHRA feel's the wing and canards cannot/will not be made larger to ensure down force, rather under consideration is to decrease the useful area of down force created by both.
This leaves just one area under the control of NHRA to be considered, the length of the racing surface.
NHRA feel's because there are many racks currently running 1/8th mile tracks ( 660 feet), many racers being used to that as an alternative distance.
testing the premise of a final reduction to 1/8th mile track for T/F is under way , and will be implemented at the start of 2011 season.
if the funny cars attain speeds of 310 MPH , they will also be mandated to run the 660 foot track.
it is felt this would be the final track length adjustment required for the car's.
as safety is the #1 consideration for drag racing, we know racer's, sponsors and fans will support NHRA's decision in this matter.
this will also reduce the cost of race operation's for the fuel and related part's attrition.
crew's will adjust to the 1/8th concept readily.
NHRA will lift the ban of fuel % when this is implemented.

I can't say I wouldn't still make the trip to Brainerd, but I could say that if they went to 1/8 mile (without any other changes) I would cut the 3 day weekend into a 2 day event... and that's saying alot.

I think they need to come up with a compromise for the fans - you can't just keep taking things away (took 100% nitro, took 1320' racing)

From what I've been reading, it looks like the current NHRA "professional" drag racing series is shrinking as fast as the Nostalgia series is growing. Maybe if theyre going to go 1/8 mile, I would be willing to accept it if they threw in a 1/4 mile nostalgia class. Give a little, gain alot.

(Also - as stated a million times in other threads - bring in pro mod full time and get rid of the PSB's)

I just can't understand why the NHRA won't adapt.

There was a post a few days ago on another site that looked like an official NHRA announcement. However, it wasn't written very well which lead most people to believe that is was a fake. See for yourself...

BELIEVE it's a fake? That thing reminds me of one of those Nigeria/Guana money scam letters....:(

This ain't happening. Ya'll got your skirt blown up over nothing. ;)

(Also - as stated a million times in other threads - bring in pro mod full time and get rid of the PSB's)

I just can't understand why the NHRA won't adapt.

People have been saying this for years....dump the bikes and bring in PM. Well, they have the time to run BOTH at all races now. So anyone who says they have to get rid of the bikes, just doesn't like the bikes.

I am a starting line guy, so it wouldn't effect me if they shorten to 1/8th mile. I wouldn't watch it on TV though. Who wants to so PS guys complaining that the 660' isn't prepped and Stevie Wonder could back into Ray Charles for a win at the stripe........geesh.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back