2010 Rulebook . . . Download (2 Viewers)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Just downloaded the 318 page pdf of the NHRA 2010 Rulebook, since a printed copy apparently will not be sent to the few of us who are still paying dues!
I've always felt the printed copy was a perk of membership.
If it were not for the ability to listen to Alan (and that other guy - the skinny geeky one) during qualifying, I'd be done after 22 years.
BTW - Members will be soon able to purchase a printed copy at a discount . . . only $7.00 - :rolleyes:
Guess NHRA has to get every dollar it can to keep paying those execs and board members reasonable salaries.

Let's see...when I first joined NHRA I think it cost 5.00 a year (maybe less) and that rule book was a LOT thinner! Racing was more fun too! BK

Just one more item to add to my list of things that NHRA has done to turn me off. My Competition License was up last March and I didn't renew it. My Membership is up at the end of December. I'm not sure yet if I'm renewing it. I have a complete Race Team with everything needed to go Drag Racing. I'm beginning to look toward converting my car and equipment to run at Bonneville. I still love Drag Racing but it's getting to the point where I've had enough of NHRA's stupid ideas. This rule book thing is nuts.

Dave

Just downloaded the 318 page pdf of the NHRA 2010 Rulebook, since a printed copy apparently will not be sent to the few of us who are still paying dues!
If it were not for the ability to listen to Alan (and that other guy - the skinny geeky one) during qualifying, I'd be done after 22 years.
BTW - Members will be soon able to purchase a printed copy at a discount . . . only $7.00 - :rolleyes:
Guess NHRA has to get every dollar it can to keep paying those execs and board members reasonable salaries.

You really don't think They want US to have a Hard Printed Copy of the Rules... words on paper? or bits on pdf? Sooooo much easier to change a word or two in a PDF... and then say "it's always been this way"... "you changed your file"

d'kid

For someone new in the sport that needs all the regs a book make sense. For those of us continuing in the same class a pdf probably is suffice.

Last edited:
What's the proportion of Members who are Fans vs Members who are Racers?

based on 400,000, with my membership #3xx xxx, I would say 3 to 3-1/2 racer to each fan membership... and I still think you should need a membership to get into the pits.

this is my second membership, first time was for several years back in the early 70's... always had both the A and the N rule books back then... but I was 'with' cars at Lions and OCIR.

not sure I'm going to renew... after all, it's JUST a fan membership now.

d'kid

You only have to be a member if you want to race. Not even team members have to be members. The only benefit to them is the catastrophic insurance. The only reason I am is to get National Dragster, just in case there's a neat article or photo I want.

I see the current 'rule book' deal as another "cheap-out" on NHRA's part. They're not smart enough to cut gate prices to generate more butts in the seats, but they'll cut everything else that shouldn't be cut. Rocket scientists are us!

Why would you download something that means absolutely nothing. It and the phantom operations manual can changed at any time to fit what they want at the time.

You only have to be a member if you want to race. Not even team members have to be members. The only benefit to them is the catastrophic insurance. The only reason I am is to get National Dragster, just in case there's a neat article or photo I want.

I see the current 'rule book' deal as another "cheap-out" on NHRA's part. They're not smart enough to cut gate prices to generate more butts in the seats, but they'll cut everything else that shouldn't be cut. Rocket scientists are us!

I was watching some of the old 1990's Diamond P shows and each one concluded with a push to join NHRA. Steve Evan's would say "A pen, a patch, a rule book and 52 issues of National Dragster..."

Membership is dwindling and they are looking to save money. Maybe they should push the membership stuff again on the ESPN2 broadcasts.

RG

I don't really see what the big deal is, all they're doing is saving money. Think about how much it costs to print a 318 pg. booklet 400,000+ times. I'm not sure what kind of deal Glendora was getting on paper, but needless to say, it's not exactly cheap when your printing something like that in mass quantity. As far as editing a PDF file, I'm sure NHRA will keep each version of the rules so as to eliminate any potential tampering, hopefully they'll make all of those copies available to the racers should rule changes be made during the year. I used to have a membership in the early 90's, I let mine expire around 2000 or so, can't exactly remember. But, with the internet I don't really see what good a printed copy of National Dragster does anymore. The newspaper business is hurting badly b/c so many people read stories online these days. Most if not all the stories about NHRA teams/drivers are on a webpage somewhere. What's in ND that you can't find online? I don't think ND needs to go away, far from it. I do think however, that ND should look at doing things differently, maybe moving to an online publication? I always hated getting my ND's from the mailman all torn up.

You guys have printers on your computers dont you . download the pdf file , then print it then write the date down somewhere so as to know when the file was written then if they do change something you have a copy of the original document .

Where does this 400,000 members number come from? Seriously. Seems just a little inflated by about 5 times. exhale...pass it on...:rolleyes:

"With 80,000 members and more than 35,000 licensed competitors..." And that might even be a 'stretch'.

Source: About the NHRA second paragraph direct from the horse itself.

Where does this 400,000 members number come from? Seriously. Seems just a little inflated by about 5 times. exhale...pass it on...:rolleyes:

"With 80,000 members and more than 35,000 licensed competitors..." And that might even be a 'stretch'.

Source: About the NHRA second paragraph direct from the horse itself.

based it off my 5 year old membership number... what you're saying makes sense... wasn't taking into account 'retired' memberships. yepper, makes this a real main-stream sport, that less than the seating at the Rose Bowl

d'kid

based it off my 5 year old membership number... what you're saying makes sense... wasn't taking into account 'retired' memberships. yepper, makes this a real main-stream sport, that less than the seating at the Rose Bowl

d'kid

And take into account as well a re-numbering (like the countdown change only different :D) a while back to boot. My # is in the 39XXX zipcode.

As Racers we all should have a copy in your possession when going through TECH just in case they wish to discuss a rule or two on 20# of fire bottles!

Sorry could not resist!

Bryan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back