2001 AutoZone Winternationals (1 Viewer)

Dave

Nitro Member
I had hoped to have this up in its entirety yesterday on the anniversary of the passing of Darrell Russell. A nice trip down memory lane to the start of the 2001 season for those who saw him race and knew him best, and a chance for newer fans to see him emerge as a future star. A lot of change came about this year for NHRA. It was the 50th anniversary season, the first of the new all exclusive ESPN tv contract, the last year with Winston sponsorship, and it all started right here in Pomona. Current funny car racer Cruz Pedregon was on the microphone, and current announcer Mike Dunn was still behind the wheel. We still had Pro Stock Trucks. Pro Stock featured the new downsized Grand Ams and Cavaliers. The late Bruce Sarver, driving for Alan Johnson, picked up his second career funny car win. Finally, after an eye injury forced 5 time champion Joe Amato out of the seat at the end of 2000, he chose Darrell Russell to come up from the alcohol ranks to fill the vacated seat. He took over Amato's place in the rain delayed Budweiser Shootout during saturday qualifying and almost won, then sealed the deal on sunday in his first raceday appearance.

R.I.P. Darrell.

Saturday Qualifying:
2001 NHRA AutoZone Winternationals Qualifying - YouTube

Round 1:
2001 NHRA AutoZone Winternationals First Round - YouTube

Final Show:
2001 NHRA AutoZone Winternationals - YouTube

Last edited:
I for one was not sorry to see Winston leave as the major sponsor. An industry that produces a product that addicts and kills it's customers has no place sponsoring anything.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, please leave this as a thread about the race itself or Darrell Russell. I'd prefer it not turn into a discussion of the tobacco industry.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, please leave this as a thread about the race itself or Darrell Russell. I'd prefer it not turn into a discussion of the tobacco industry.

Unfortunately,you mentioned the "sad loss of Winston"; which had absolutely nothing to do with Darrell Russell or his loss. So if you want to keep this about Darrell, maybe you should edit your opening post to exclude any mention of Winston. I realize they brought alot tothe sport, but I feel it's much better off without the pretty girls handing out free cigarettes to anyone that wanted them. Coca Cola has stepped up in fine fashion, and last I heard, their products are neither addictive or cancer causing...

Unfortunately,you mentioned the "sad loss of Winston"; which had absolutely nothing to do with Darrell Russell or his loss. So if you want to keep this about Darrell, maybe you should edit your opening post to exclude any mention of Winston. I realize they brought alot tothe sport, but I feel it's much better off without the pretty girls handing out free cigarettes to anyone that wanted them. Coca Cola has stepped up in fine fashion, and last I heard, their products are neither addictive or cancer causing...

I took the "sadly" out for you, now please stop.

Last edited:
Great video Dave ..... thanks for posting. Talk about stirring up some great memories !! I had to jump on here and mention somebody else we lost later that year. My very good friend Bobby Baldwin. Bobby was born and raised in Pomona, and grew up right down the street from the Pomona Fairplex. As a kid he would stand on the seat of his bike, so he could see the races over the fence. He had always dreamed of racing his own Top Fuel car some day ..... and in that video, he was living the dream. On that single weekend, he had defeated good friend Robert ( Bob ) Rheel on a qualifying run, in what was being billed as the " Big Bob Shootout ". ( I think the wager was a cold Coors Light and bragging rights of course?) ... and then went out on Sunday and beat Herbert, and Scelzi, and ran a career best E.T. ..... on his way to a semi-final finish at his favorite and home track. Not bad for a low-buck hobby racer, and grading contractor from Pomona. He was one of the best guy's you would ever have the pleasure of meeting. He never had a whole lot to work with ..... but I doubt if there was anybody out there having more fun than Bobby was. I for one was grateful to be a part of it ..... he is missed. Thanks again for posting.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back