“Special” Funny Cars in the 80’s and 90’s (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
Lately I’ve been going back in time on YouTube, watching the (my) glory days when I really was imprinted by racing. The great Dave Mac often referred to funny cars as “The ********* Special”. For example... Bruce Larson in his Sentry Gauges Special; or Al Hoffman in his Blower Drive Service Special. But later on in the 90’s the cars started being referred to by thier body manufacturer; as in, Ed McCullough in his Miller High Life Oldsmobile ; or Mark Oswald in his Motorcraft Ford Probe.

I’m wondering if NHRA pushed the media to start using car manufacturer names along with sponsor names intentionally, in order to garner more interest in racing??

Just a thought. When the bodies went carbon Fiber, they were so expensive that the factories started supplying them as sponsorship. Then the brand had to be in the name.

Just a thought. When the bodies went carbon Fiber, they were so expensive that the factories started supplying them as sponsorship. Then the brand had to be in the name.
Actually the car companies help to foot the bill for the R & D on the new bodies. Mostly on the aero design and testing.

Lately I’ve been going back in time on YouTube, watching the (my) glory days when I really was imprinted by racing. The great Dave Mac often referred to funny cars as “The ********* Special”. For example... Bruce Larson in his Sentry Gauges Special; or Al Hoffman in his Blower Drive Service Special. But later on in the 90’s the cars started being referred to by thier body manufacturer; as in, Ed McCullough in his Miller High Life Oldsmobile ; or Mark Oswald in his Motorcraft Ford Probe.

I would imagine that they were reading their entry name right off the entry sheet.

Not sure about the Special names but I still think the older funny cars of the 70s and 80s were more Special than todays... But I still love 'em! 😎

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back