Team Press Releases

Pomona, Calif. (Feb. 12, 2010) – Team Mopar® driver Allen Johnson continued his strong debut outing in his new 2010 NHRA Pro Stock Mopar Dodge Avenger, earning an always-valuable point in the standings by posting the third quickest time in qualifying today at the 50th Annual Kragen O’Reilly NHRA Winternationals. Johnson remains in the No. 5 spot heading into the final two qualifying sessions tomorrow at Auto Club Dragway at Pomona, Calif. The J&J Racing driver and owner was fifth in the first qualifying session yesterday, posting a 6.611/209.39 mph run. Although he was unable to better that mark and move up the ladder with a 6.621/209.56 pass under warmer conditions today, Johnson was highly encouraged by the performance of his...
POMONA, Friday: After two qualifying sessions at the 50th annual NHRA Kragen O’Reilly Winternationals at the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona, Johnny Gray has a positive outlook for his Gray Motorsports Pro Stock. On yesterday’s qualifying attempt, Gray had extreme tire shake when he hit the throttle, which ruined the run, but he managed to squeak out a 9.483 at 163.57 mph. Today’s attempt turned out much better for Gray. The beautiful Pontiac GXP left the line the way it’s suppose and made it straight down the track. He posted a 6.681 at 208.14 mph. Although this was a great improvement, it was not enough to get him in the show. “We had some severe carburetor issues yesterday,” explained Gray, “we think a float was stuck. We...
POMONA, Friday: After two qualifying sessions at the 50th annual NHRA Kragen O’Reilly Winternationals at the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona newly licensed Pro Stock driver, Shane Gray, looks more like a seasoned pro than a newcomer as he handles the Gray Motorsports Pontiac GXP down the quarter-mile. In the first session yesterday, Gray was the first car out on a single run. He impressed everyone watching as he made a clean, straight run at 6.642 at 208.23 mph. This run put him in the No. 9 qualifying position. “I was glad to get that first run over with yesterday,” said Gray. “It allowed me to be more relaxed today. But it was a great experience and as soon as I climbed out of the car, I was ready to do it again. “We...
POMONA, Calif. (Feb. 12) -- Top Fuel driver Morgan Lucas completed a 3.823-second pass at a career-best 316.90 mph Friday to move from out of the field to the No. 3 position at the 50th annual Kragen O'Reilly NHRA Winternationals. Lucas' impressive run in his GEICO Powersports/Lucas Oil dragster was the second quickest of the day. "I can't tell you how good it feels to start the season with a car running as strong as this one," said Lucas, who at 26 years old is the youngest pro in the nitro ranks. "We didn't have a car like this until several races into the schedule last year. This is where we want to be, running up front with the top teams every weekend. "I think we'll stay in the top half of the field with that run and...
[coverattach=1]Auto parts giant returns to drag race series with multi-year sponsorship LISTOWEL, ONTARIO (February 12, 2010) – The Quick 32 Sportsman Series is pleased to announce the primary sponsor involvement of NAPA Auto Parts in this popular six-race drag racing series. NAPA Auto Parts was the title sponsor for the Series in its inaugural year of 2009, and will be on board once again for a multi-year agreement. “The Quick 32 Sportsman Series has proven itself to be a popular race series,” noted Tim MacDonald, President and CEO of Ideal Supply based in Listowel, Ontario, and the largest NAPA Associate in Canada. “We appreciate the work that is done by so many to create a strong racing program for the Series and are excited...
[coverattach=1]New Pro Modified team steps up from Sportsman ranks CORBYVILLE, ONTARIO (February 11, 2010) – After running just one year in the Quick 32 Sportsman Series, Derek Hawker decided to upgrade and increase his racing effort, with the Pro Modified Racing Association. His explanation was simple: “I want to go faster,” he said. “It’s just my thing. I’m not a bracket racer.” So the Hawker Racing Team, based near Belleville, Ontario, took his two-year old 1963 Corvette Sting Ray, removed the tunnel ram-injected engine, and replaced it with a 526-cubic inch Alan Johnson supercharged unit complete with a PSI Supercharger, Atchison Fuel System, and a Lenco three-speed on the back of the engine. Hawker said the team...
POMONA, CALIF. - Babe Ruth has nothing on 23-year old Danny Gruninger. The sophomore driver of the USRECOGNITION.COM PRO STOCK DODGE from Denver, Colo. knocked one out of the ball park today in the first qualifying session for the 50th Kragen O’Reilly NHRA Winternationals contested in Pomona, Calif. at Auto Club Raceway. The four-time Little League World Series competitor uncorked a career best elapsed time when his USRECOGNITION.COM Dodge Stratus traveled the Pomona quarter mile in 6.698-seconds at a speed of 207.18 miles per hour. The run for the Gruninger Motorsports team served as the 15th quickest elapsed time of the day in the ultra-tough NHRA Pro Stock division. “We knew coming into this weekend our car would...
POMONA, Calif. (Feb. 11) -- Top Fuel racer Shawn Langdon kicked off his sophomore season in the professional ranks Thursday evening with a stellar pass down Auto Club Raceway in Pomona. Langdon, a native of nearby Mira Loma, posted a 3.847-second pass at 309.98 mph in his Lucas Oil/Speedco dragster to grab the No. 2 position in the provisional field. "I've been waiting to make that pass for three months," Langdon said. "We ended last season right here with our only DNQ of the season and that didn't sit well with any of us. To be standing here with the second quickest pass of the day is a huge boost for this entire team. "The run was nice and straight and we didn't hurt anything in the motor. It actually rattled the tires early but...
Pomona, Calif. (Feb. 11, 2010) – Allen Johnson drove his 2010 NHRA Pro Stock Mopar® Dodge Avenger to a solid NHRA national event debut today in the first round of qualifying for the 50th Annual Kragen O’Reilly NHRA Winternationals. The Team Mopar star grabbed the provisional No. 5 spot at Auto Club Dragway at Pomona, Calif., in his maiden run in his new Mopar HEMI®-powered machine. Following months of testing and tuning, the Greeneville, Tenn., native’s Mopar Dodge Avenger reeled off a first-class first pass. Johnson posted a 6.611 ET at 209.39 mph in the first run that counted in his Mopar Dodge. Lower elapsed times and higher speeds will come in the final two days of qualifying, according to Johnson. “We were really...
Back