"you get spoiled with a guy like Bazemore" (1 Viewer)

Yeah, usually in an interview the tuner pumps for the current driver, not the one who left. Beckman's a pretty mellow guy, so if it meant anything in particular I'm sure it rolled right off of him.

Yeah, I too caught that during the broadcast.

Perhaps Okuhara has nothing against Fast Jack, but maybe those on the Matco team that weren't too happy about Baze being replaced mid-season are still smarting from it a little? Pure speculation on my part.

In any case, the whole team did a great job this weekend.

EDIT: Sorry Shiela, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that that was indeed your first post. As others have said, welcome! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, usually in an interview the tuner pumps for the current driver, not the one who left. Beckman's a pretty mellow guy, so if it meant anything in particular I'm sure it rolled right off of him.
I'd have to agree, also.
I know Jack personally and he's not a me-me person. He's going to be a great ambassador for the sport for many years to come.
I also believe he'll remember the circumstances under which he was brought under the "Umbrella" when the next guy comes along with a bigger sponsor and Todd is making the same statement about Jack?

Welcome to the Mater Sheila!

I met Jack in Dallas when hanging with Joe Sherwood, he was a real nice guy, one of the nicest I have met. I was REAL happy to see him win. Kurt Johnson was also one of the friendlier drivers too.

I don't think that Todd was taking a shot at Jack by any stretch, I think he was just responding to the quest/statement made to him by the ESPN mic about Jack being a good driver/quick learner.

Todd responded by saying something along the lines of it is hard to make a comparisons as tuners get spoiled with (take for granted?) drivers like Whit.

I first met Jack in Pomona in '94 for the Winter's, he was sitting next to us during a Pro session. He sure can be a comedian if you get him going! That weekend he pulled out the Motor out of his Street El Camino so he could compete in Super Comp. Still ran a 8.97!

Hi, everyone, thanks for the welcome. One of these days I'll get to a meet-up and see people in person (my husband and I are plotting to go to Vegas together for next year's race!):)

Jack and Jenna are great people. I wish them the best.

I kind of wonder if Todd wasn't commenting on the fact that Blaze has been doing this so long that he can provide lots of feedback for the tuner to make a decision. I would imagine that the seat time that some of those drivers has makes them able to analyze every bump in the lane and pull on the clutch lock up.

the long in the short of it is that Bazemore is a veteran and one of the more proven and skilled drivers around, and Beckman is going into his 5th race. At this point Bazemore is probably a better funny car driver, which is not to say the Beckman is not capable (obviously he is, he just won a race). I think all the Todd meant was that they lost one of the best drivers around and he was replaced by a rookie.....nothin more nothin less than that

my $.02

the long in the short of it is that Bazemore is a veteran and one of the more proven and skilled drivers around, and Beckman is going into his 5th race. At this point Bazemore is probably a better funny car driver, which is not to say the Beckman is not capable (obviously he is, he just won a race). I think all the Todd meant was that they lost one of the best drivers around and he was replaced by a rookie.....nothin more nothin less than that

my $.02

I completely agree. I don't think it was a jab at anyone at all. Just a statement that they had a first-class Funny Car driver before and now someone who is, as exepected, having a learning curve. Nothing is so shocking in that statement.

Maybe Todd just had a brain fart amid all the excitement and said the wrong driver since he doesn't get a lot of Mic-Time?

No I think Mike Minnick hit the nail on the head, it was not a jab at Jack, it was a matter of fact. With a driver like Whit, he could completely take the driver out of the equation. That has got to be a treat for a crew chief to have one less variable in the already complex puzzle. As good as a griver as Jack may be, he still is somewhat of an unknown to the tune up at this point, his comment was completely valid.

I just took it as a great tip of the hat to his old driver. Kind-of a parting statement when he finally found his way onto some air time. Maybe a little of emotion for the way that Baze left the deal.
But I did not see it as a slap to Jack. Not at all.

I just took it as a great tip of the hat to his old driver. Kind-of a parting statement when he finally found his way onto some air time. Maybe a little of emotion for the way that Baze left the deal.
But I did not see it as a slap to Jack. Not at all.

I agree Buzzz. Hell, his new driver just won a race so I am sure he doesn't think bad about his driving ability. Whit is a great, proven driver and he was making that known.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back