You Can't Fix Stupid (1 Viewer)

None

Nitro Member
NHRA seems to have a problem with Larry Morgan's tee shirts again. Wouldn't their time be better spent fixing the things that caused the shirts to be made in the first place? Like bad timing and poor track preparation.

See CompPlus for story.

I Think Its Hilarious How Much Grief They Keep Giving Him About Them. They Need To Grow Up. Oh, Copyright Infridgements!!! I Bet Larry Is Shaking So Bad He Cant Shift The Car Properly.

I kinda see NHRA's point. We wouldn't expect our soldiers to walk around wearing shirts that say "Military Intelligence in an Oxymoron", or you wouldn't expect employees of Jeg's to be wearing Summit T-Shirts, thusly we shouldn't expect a high-profile Pro Stock team to be able to sell T-Shirts or wear T-Shirts at a National Event calling the sanctioning body stupid, tongue in cheek or not. Granted, I think the circumstances that brought about the T-Shirt were ridiculous and needed more urgent attention than they were first given, but NHRA still can't have T-Shirts with their logo being sold caling them stupid.

Besides, doesn't NHRA get like 30% of everything sold on the midway at National Events? The real stupid thing is that Larry Morgan was paying NHRA 30% to call them stupid, and they still shut him down.

Last edited:
OK, I a little behind on this one. Other than the 4 words, is anything else, logo or anything on the T- shirt? If not, think what people not in the know think. Here's a person walking around saying "You can't fix stupid" ???? Is he saying, he's stupid or what? :D

OK, I a little behind on this one. Other than the 4 words, is anything else, logo or anything on the T- shirt? If not, think what people not in the know think. Here's a person walking around saying "You can't fix stupid" ???? Is he saying, he's stupid or what? :D

The NHRA/PowerADE logo was on the original run of shirts. According to CompPlus, Larry is going to remove the NHRA logo and continue to sell the shirts, albeit not out of his trailer at National Events.

I can see NHRA's view. If someone didn't know the story behind the shirt, their perception could be negative towards NHRA and Powerade. If you remove the Powerade logo there should be no problems with the shirt.

I kinda see NHRA's point. We wouldn't expect our soldiers to walk around wearing shirts that say "Military Intelligence in an Oxymoron", or you wouldn't expect employees of Jeg's to be wearing Summit T-Shirts, thusly we shouldn't expect a high-profile Pro Stock team to be able to sell T-Shirts or wear T-Shirts at a National Event calling the sanctioning body stupid, tongue in cheek or not. Granted, I think the circumstances that brought about the T-Shirt were ridiculous and needed more urgent attention than they were first given, but NHRA still can't have T-Shirts with their logo being sold caling them stupid.

Besides, doesn't NHRA get like 30% of everything sold on the midway at National Events? The real stupid thing is that Larry Morgan was paying NHRA 30% to call them stupid, and they still shut him down.

You and Kelly are absolutely right. Problem is Owners and Drivers are members of the NHRA and the NHRA is supposed to work for them.

NHRA seems to have a problem with Larry Morgan's tee shirts again. Wouldn't their time be better spent fixing the things that caused the shirts to be made in the first place? Like bad timing and poor track preparation.

See CompPlus for story.

Yes it would, but as the shirt states....

its funny but I can clearly see nhra's point, especially if it has the powerade logo on it...

its funny but I can clearly see nhra's point, especially if it has the powerade logo on it...

I agree. With the logo I see their point. Without the logo there should be no issue. I did mention on the other site that the comedian Ron White named his CD that. I wonder if he tried to trademark it. If a comedian can get a catch phrase like that to stick it is HUGE (see: "You might be a redneck", "Here's your sign" and "Get 'R Done").

My initial reaction was that NHRA needs to get a sense of humor. We all screw up at times, but we laugh and learn so we don't do it again. But I can see everyone's point that the unknowing might think the stupid part has to do with Powerade. So I'm sure the folks at NHRA are just trying to prevent a possible problem for the series sponsor.

I know if I was a Powerade Executive & paying NHRA all the money they are I would be a little ticked if it had the logo on it. Without the logo it's kind of generic I think.

You and Kelly are absolutely right. Problem is Owners and Drivers are members of the NHRA and the NHRA is supposed to work for them.

Yeah, they do work for the membership, and should remember that. And yeeper, on Deigo Garcia in '76 we did have t-shirts that said "MI is a O"... ah, the good old days... Join the Canoe Club, see the World, It's not an Adventure, It's just another Job... wonder why I only did 4 years?

I know if I was a Powerade Executive & paying NHRA all the money they are I would be a little ticked if it had the logo on it. Without the logo it's kind of generic I think.

To me, this is a key point in the whole issue. If it were the NHRA logo alone, that would be one thing, but the Powerade loga is another. After all, they're not the ones responsible for keeping the clocks running.

My initial reaction was that NHRA needs to get a sense of humor. We all screw up at times, but we laugh and learn so we don't do it again...........
Texas Motor Speedway comes to mind.......the 1st few years of racing there they had massive pile ups because of the multiple bankings and the racers printed shirts that read "SHUT UP AND FIX THE TRACK"........and the track printed shirts that said "shut up and race"

So perhaps NHRA will print a few that say "YOU CAN'T RACE STUPID" :eek:

Yeah, they do work for the membership, and should remember that. And yeeper, on Deigo Garcia in '76 we did have t-shirts that said "MI is a O"... ah, the good old days... Join the Canoe Club, see the World, It's not an Adventure, It's just another Job... wonder why I only did 4 years?

Diego isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. No drag strip, but I've made a run or two down the runway during my tour in the late eighties. I'll ask... why did you get out? What did you do while you were in?

As for NHRA not liking the shirt, I can see their point. A sense of humor is one thing - rubbing their nose in it publicly is something altogether different.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back