World Series of ProMod (1 Viewer)

It will be fun seeing a 32 car field. 22 drivers have been announced so far.
Enders
Laughlin
Rowe
Matusek
Steven Whiteley
Jim Whiteley
Farber
Michael Bowman
Satterfield
Latino
Steve Jackson
Molinari
Biehle
Hruska
Jeremy Ray
Derek Menholt
Frigo
Chad Green (nitrous)
Janis
Daniel McKune
Tommy Johanns
Robert Costa (nitrous)

32 Pro Mod cars up on the mountain may be worth flying west for. Hats off to Wes Buck for creating this event, the sport needs as many people with his passion for drag racing (particularly on the promotion side) as we can get. And, his magazine Drag Illustrated is top notch.

It was a fun event last year. I wish they had the Friday night shootout again this year. They are going to draw names just prior to the first round. He has said that he had over 50 cars interested in coming so he should be able to get 32 confirmed cars to show up.

Yep, last year's event was great and I'm looking forward to this year's as well. The shootout drama was exciting and I agree, I wish they were having it again this year. I also think the shootout helps as it gives you some alternates available just in case. If they invite only 32 cars and any of them damage their stuff in the test sessions the week of, or in the Friday night time trials, then you go into Saturday with only 29, 30, 31 cars. If I were Wes, I'd invite 35 cars. Lock 31 of them into the field and have the remaining 4 cars race on Friday night for the 32nd spot and some cash. This way, if a car or two can't make the call for 1st round on Saturday night, you have 3 cars on standby who would love to get in on the action.

Really glad to see some nitrous cars on the list!

Yep, last year's event was great and I'm looking forward to this year's as well. The shootout drama was exciting and I agree, I wish they were having it again this year. I also think the shootout helps as it gives you some alternates available just in case. If they invite only 32 cars and any of them damage their stuff in the test sessions the week of, or in the Friday night time trials, then you go into Saturday with only 29, 30, 31 cars. If I were Wes, I'd invite 35 cars. Lock 31 of them into the field and have the remaining 4 cars race on Friday night for the 32nd spot and some cash. This way, if a car or two can't make the call for 1st round on Saturday night, you have 3 cars on standby who would love to get in on the action.

Really glad to see some nitrous cars on the list!

Ha, I just re-read my post. ONLY 32 cars! Ha. Whether it's 28, 29, or 32 cars going into Saturday's event, it will be awesome!

I was thinking the same thing. Commit to 31 cars and let a few cars battle it out on Friday night for the 32nd spot. They are having a burnout contest on Friday night so that should be fun.

I've read that Todd Tutterow and Marc Caruso have been invited. Still looking like 8 or 9 cars are needed to fill out the 32 car field. Lots of big names missing and not just the nitrous cars, who I think feel that they are at a disadvantage in the thin air. Any updates? The race is 4 weeks from this weekend.

NHRA Pro Mod Drivers not on the list

Coughlin (T)
Balooshi (N)
R. Smith (N)
Castellana (S)
Gonzalez (T)
Hord (T)
King (S)
Stevenson (T)
Biehle (T)
Rahaim (N)
Little (S)
Snider (S)
Winters (S)
R. Stevens (N)

Biehle is supposed to be there. Even though he isn’t on the list on the site he has been mentioned as being there. Also scheduled to attend but not listed are the two you mentioned (Tut and Caruso) Jeffery Barker, Scott Oskas, Rick Hord and Carl Stevens. That takes the list up to 28.

That's great news! I'm guessing the field will fill up between now and the event. I'm still surprised how few nitrous entries there are. One thing I've always noticed about Bandimere is, the bigger cubic inch combos seem to have an advantage. In Comp Eliminator, the A and B altereds and dragsters seem to fair much better than the smaller cubic inch E/F/G, etc. combos (Clint Neff being the exception). In Pro Stock Motorcycle, the Buells or Harleys have held the track e.t. or speed records for quite some time and they have won the event several times recently with the last 3 winners being Arana Jr., Krawiec, and Hines. With some of these nitrous cars using 900+ cubic inch motors, and the blower/turbo cars limited to what, 525 cubic inches, I think some of these nitrous guys are underestimating how much those extra 375 cubic inches will help at that altitude. Then again, Rickie Smith knows a whole lot more about tuning cars than I do, so if he says the combination can't be competitive then I guess it must be true. I'll definitely be watching Chad Green and Robert Costa to see how they fair.

Smith won’t run anywhere he doesn’t think he has a distinct advantage. I think Green has a legit chance of winning it.

Rick Destifano has been added to the field as well.

Added today is NMCA pro mod racer Aaron Glaser. That would be 31 if all others listed show up. I’m concerned about Janis, Farber and McKune. Wes Buck ran through the entrants last week and didn’t list those three. Just not sure if it was an oversight or not,

Chris, thanks for the updates. With Glaser's addition, that makes a total of 3 nitrous cars (Green and Costas being the others). I don't believe there were any last year. Still a bit surprised that many NHRA Pro Mod racers won't be there. Guessing that scheduling and budgets have something to do with it. I thought last years race was very entertaining, hoping this years will be the same, except with twice as many cars.

Costas was there last year but not allowed to run because he had a torque converter that was not yet legal using NHRA rules. His car made some shakedown runs and had solid looking runs. For a lot of the racers the cost of travel versus the potential winnings don’t make sense. Doug Winters and Chuck Little are two guys who travel to Vegas for the final NHRA race. Most of the guys coming are true racers. They would run anywhere and anyplace. It will be a fun race. The Friday night burnout contest should be great!

6 guys didn’t show for various reasons. From what I hear, Frigos car was in a testing accident last week. Laughlin didn’t have a ride (not sure how this transpired). Janis and Farber backed out recently. Latino and McKune also are not in attendance. Local racer Mark Cox was added to make it 27. With a 32 car ladder it would be one bye run in the first round and 3rd round. I told a guy working with Wes to maybe allow the two fastest first round losers back in to make it 16 cars in the second round instead of 14.

Here are a few pics I took this evening.

Attachments

• 19F970D2-A836-4DF8-9C11-0CDD90B4D83A.jpeg
    19F970D2-A836-4DF8-9C11-0CDD90B4D83A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 6F931C37-8B6A-421E-88EE-6B25D11AE6B6.jpeg
    6F931C37-8B6A-421E-88EE-6B25D11AE6B6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 21
  • F9042B88-E0E7-486B-AF70-C6CA30643739.jpeg
    F9042B88-E0E7-486B-AF70-C6CA30643739.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 5C324086-7FA6-4856-9F7A-6B10382E379C.jpeg
    5C324086-7FA6-4856-9F7A-6B10382E379C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 2E72B972-8B04-4410-9C2A-F5403D2B888B.jpeg
    2E72B972-8B04-4410-9C2A-F5403D2B888B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 2D5741FF-96C4-48F4-AA44-CF32F6841903.jpeg
    2D5741FF-96C4-48F4-AA44-CF32F6841903.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
Nice pics. Thanks Chris. The paint job on Glaser's car is bad ass. Saw it at the NMCA race in Joliet. Any word if this race will be streamed live like last year?

No it’s not. They are going to do quite a bunch of live streaming on the drag illustrated Facebook page.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back