World Series @ Memphis a failure (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Tonight will be the true test, but from what I saw yesterday the spectator count was pathetic. I saw quite a few pics on FB and watched a few FB live videos and there was hardly anybody in the stands. I've seen more people in the stands at Cordova waiting for the rain to stop than were at Memphis last night.

Mike Dunn said it made sense to move it from Cordova because it couldn't grow anymore. I'm betting they wish they had even 1/10th the crowd that Cordova pulled in because it would be a big improvement over how many were there last night.

IRG even requested that media not take footage of the stands so they must have known it was going to be a bad turnout.

14100493_10153972472289370_2064870392290945637_n.jpg

I know business mentality is always to grow but so often you see a successful business go under from trying to grow too fast. If you are already profitable why do you need to take a big risk? There is also a business theory of location location location. I think they should have had that on their minds when making this decision. With that said I hope everyone is wrong and today is a huge success.

Last edited:

Attachments

• WorldSeries.jpg
    WorldSeries.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 21
grew up down there, my first W.S. was probably around '75/'76 (10 yrs. old).....that race is part of my childhood and responsible for
hooking me on this great sport my entire life. wonder what they mean by 'grow the event'?.......the world series, the norwalk event.
they sell the place out, have a large variety of classes and entertain the fans for two nights......make a good profit and be satisfied.
don't fix what isn't broken.

memphis had it's nhra nat. event for many years.....i can't remember, but would assume it was somewhat well attended.
now you have this big match race with all the bells and whistles to entertain the fans; assume they adv't. the ch*t out of it?
i'm left wondering why the fans didn't pack the place?

grew up down there, my first W.S. was probably around '75/'76 (10 yrs. old).....that race is part of my childhood and responsible for
hooking me on this great sport my entire life. wonder what they mean by 'grow the event'?.......the world series, the norwalk event.
they sell the place out, have a large variety of classes and entertain the fans for two nights......make a good profit and be satisfied.
don't fix what isn't broken.

memphis had it's nhra nat. event for many years.....i can't remember, but would assume it was somewhat well attended.
now you have this big match race with all the bells and whistles to entertain the fans; assume they adv't. the ch*t out of it?
i'm left wondering why the fans didn't pack the place?
My first World Series was in 1971, I was all of 2 1/2 months old! I missed a couple in the 90's and then 5 between 2003-2007 when I lived in Portland, OR. One of the things I most looked forward to after I moved back to Cedar Rapids in July '08 was going to the World Series with my dad. Like you, going year-in and year-out during my youth is what hooked me on the sport! My earliest and favorite drag racing memories took place at the World Series and it's been something that my dad and I look forward to attending together every year. My dad raced in his first World Series in 1964 and over the past 50 years had missed less than you can count on one hand. He got to witness a lot of history being made right there at that track, and some of those memories are just as fresh in his mind as if they'd happened yesterday.

Memphis has never been a great draw for some reason, which is why NHRA left years ago and the same with the Nationwide Series and the truck series. It's not like there's a shortage of population to draw from, it's just that for some reason that area isn't big into motorsports. Anybody with two brain cells banging around in their head knew moving it from Cordova, where it's tried and proven, to Memphis, where they can't draw big numbers, knew this was going to be a disaster, and it was.

Everything is life is a learning experience even if it's a negative experience!!
We all learn and then try to move on and try something different.

When you look at the traits of many successful business people they all have one thing in common and that is a list of things they tried that did not turn out the way they expected.

The trick is to learn from your failures and just keep moving forward and never give up being a dreamer and an innovator in what ever field you are in.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Come to think of it I forgot about race, of all the sites I get on I did not see any advertising, a little better job at that might have helped. Plus this time of year its humid and supper hot in Memphis.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back