Windows 7 . . . (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Did any of you PC users jump off the cliff yet? Data Doctors, long time PC experts, recommended today that no one who is not a professional attempt to upgrade to 7 from XP - :eek:
Of course, 7 does have a customizable on screen task bar (sounds a lot like the Dock that those of us who use superior computers have enjoyed for years). Microsoft continues to prosper in spite of causing users to suffer through five disasters. i hope they step on their collective d$$$s again.

And . . . ya need to see the new Mac commercials that coincidentally premiered tonight! :D

I'm waiting until my tax refund for next year. Until then, I'm stuck with Vista.

Oh well, that gives me an excuse to upgrade some components. Hello Quad Core. :D

Just want to mention this, a post on a blog I found:

Imagine Vista was like a car, one that was released with a lot of hype. But soon, people found out that car was around 600lbs too heavy, had a crappy interior, a problem prone transmission and too many complicated controls.

Now imagine 7 is the new version of that car. It's on the same platform as the old car, but it's now 600lbs lighter, has a tons better interior and has a transmission that actually works well, and the controls have been made much more user friendly plus a sleeker look.

That's pretty much what Windows 7 is.

Just want to mention this, a post on a blog I found:

Imagine Vista was like a car, one that was released with a lot of hype. But soon, people found out that car was around 600lbs too heavy, had a crappy interior, a problem prone transmission and too many complicated controls.

Now imagine 7 is the new version of that car. It's on the same platform as the old car, but it's now 600lbs lighter, has a tons better interior and has a transmission that actually works well, and the controls have been made much more user friendly plus a sleeker look.

That's pretty much what Windows 7 is.

Now imagine if that car was a GM Metro :p:eek:;)

I bought a new laptop yesterday. Not because I was anxiously awaiting Windows 7, but because my other two XP laptops were physically broken and I needed a new one badly. I have been limping along a 6 year old Toshiba for the last month because I didn't want to buy a Vista computer only to reload it with Windows 7 a month later. I have never owned a computer with Vista so yesterday was my first experience with a new OS since XP was released.

My first impression with Windows 7 was good. It felt faster than XP and seemed to boot and wake from sleep much faster than any other computer I have ever owned. This could be a result of better hardware (compared to what I previously owned) or because the OS is truly faster.... I don't know, but so far I like it.

I have read posts on the internet from people (who work mostly in the computer industry) who have been using the beta version of Windows 7 for several months now and almost everyone says they love it! The only people who have written negative comments about it are the true computer geeks who are complaining that it is basically just a refined Vista. I personally don't care where it came from as long as it's equal or better than XP and so far, from what I can tell, it is!

It will take me a few days to get more familiar with the new OS but the learning curve shouldn't be too bad. So far I give it a thumbs up..... but I haven't even owned it for 24 hours yet. ;)

Last edited:
Keep us informed Brian- you're going to be our lab rat for a couple of months :D, particularly since you lept straight from XP to 7 (like most of us may do if we upgrade).

Sam- what's the word out there in geek-land regarding when Microsoft plans to abandon support for XP?

I've been using Windows 7, 64 bit version, for over a month and it is an upgraded Vista. It does have some nice features but it also has some of the nuances of Vista.

I know W7 likes a lot RAM, my machine has 12GB, but performance wise, my XP SP3 is about the same.

Keep us informed Brian- you're going to be our lab rat for a couple of months :D, particularly since you lept straight from XP to 7 (like most of us may do if we upgrade).

Sam- what's the word out there in geek-land regarding when Microsoft plans to abandon support for XP?

I think Micro$oft plans to support XP until 2011 or 2012.

Paul, That's disappointing. I have a laptop and was told that once the SIMS went to 4G that VISTA 64 would be much faster. Look like that was BS. Soo W7 would not help me. I only issue I have with V64 is the online crashes that occur to time to time.

Isn't 7 just a mix of XP and vista??

I bought a laptop abotu 2 months ago and it came with a free upgrade to 7. I'll wait though for the first service pack.

I love the mac/pc ads, one of the best series of ads ever

Paul, That's disappointing. I have a laptop and was told that once the SIMS went to 4G that VISTA 64 would be much faster. Look like that was BS. Soo W7 would not help me. I only issue I have with V64 is the online crashes that occur to time to time.

Actually thanks to 7's much-improved memory management (and the fixing of a huge memory leak in Vista) it's much faster on the same hardware. 4GB on a 7 machine will feel like 8GB on a Vista machine - much better.

Hey, I drove a '95 Metro for ten years until I traded it in for the 'Stang... same reason I'm still using XP... It works, ain't quick, but it was cheap, and gets me from A to B... :D

d'kid

The one I rode in scart the bejeebers out of me... of course, I wasn't driving it and we were in 4x4 country where small & efficient were not exactly respected. I will take your word for it. :D But I am keeping my toy & my other wheels.

& now, back to your regularly scheduled computer software thread thingy. :D

I just finished upgrading a few minutes ago, and it wasn't that bad. I wanted to repartition my C: anyway, plus I keep all my .pst and documents on a separate drive anyway so it's not like I lost anything. I still have to play with it a bit; but, so far it's nice. :cool:

I've been running the RC (64 bit) for a few months now and ran 1 of the 64 bit betas before that. I was an XP Pro fan (didn't care for Vista) but since I installed Win 7 I haven't booted into XP Pro once. I've got the actual final release now, just not in a big hurry to install it since the RC works just fine and I'm too lazy right now to install it and re-install my programs.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back