Wildpass Raceway’s Future??? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
In Vegas I met an employee of the track who told me the Tribe that owns the track wants NHRA to dump Pro Testing and the D-7 Regional cause they weren’t profitable in 2018! Doesn’t look like NHRA is long for that track.

We've been hearing that for the last couple of years, the last big rumor was they wanted to shut down the track for a water park. However, I heard new concrete to 240' and retrofit LED lights on the track just a couple of days ago, and I got that from the employee's new boss. I have no clue what goes on in the office, I've been taking pictures there for four years and I still don't have them figured out yet.
Disclaimer - I also saw that Tucson picked up a D7 regional next year.

BTW - Kebin Kinsley picked up the race win in Top Fuel Hydro in the Scott Palmer/Tommy Thompson Liquid Voodoo at the LODBRS World Finals just a couple of hours ago at Wild Horse Pass, if you know him send him some congrats.

Last edited:
BTW - Kebin Kinsley picked up the race win in Top Fuel Hydro in the Scott Palmer/Tommy Thompson Liquid Voodoo at the LODBRS World Finals just a couple of hours ago at Wild Horse Pass, if you know him send him some congrats.

And then they whacked the throttle THIRTEEN times in the pits to celebrate!!!

Absolutely correct. It should be something like full price for Spring Training only, discounted price when purchased with NHRA tickets.

We've been hearing that for the last couple of years, the last big rumor was they wanted to shut down the track for a water park. However, I heard new concrete to 240' and retrofit LED lights on the track just a couple of days ago, and I got that from the employee's new boss. I have no clue what goes on in the office, I've been taking pictures there for four years and I still don't have them figured out yet.
Disclaimer - I also saw that Tucson picked up a D7 regional next year.

Well that’s good to hear!!!

They should let people buy tickets for testing separately without having to buy tickets to the race also.
I agree. I was in Chandler last winter during testing and I would have attended the event if I could've gotten my hands on a ticket.

I agree. I was in Chandler last winter during testing and I would have attended the event if I could've gotten my hands on a ticket.

I was lucky enough to go to testing in Palm Beach a few times during their run there. It was great!

First of all, NHRA to my knowledge has never had anything to do with preseason testing at WHP. Jon Sands and Jeff Wolf who used to run Firebird for Charlie are now back in charge. They are used to dealing with GRIC and will have no problem telling the community what needs to be done. Unfortunately, If GRIC leaders can't keep their hands out of the money pot, no one will be able to make this work.

First of all, NHRA to my knowledge has never had anything to do with preseason testing at WHP. Jon Sands and Jeff Wolf who used to run Firebird for Charlie are now back in charge. They are used to dealing with GRIC and will have no problem telling the community what needs to be done. Unfortunately, If GRIC leaders can't keep their hands out of the money pot, no one will be able to make this work.
You are correct on all counts, NHRA provides support like track prep, safety, etc.; but, NST is a WHP event. We've been at this management crossroads before so we'll see what actually happens, I've received an unsolicited "I know our lighting sucks so we're going to fix it", so I'm a little more optimistic this go-around.

Unforunetly we know how that MoneyPot is treated by GRIC.
I always enjoyed going to the preseason testing.

In the last week the track has suffered two major blows to it's cash flow. The Drag boat series has folded and Bob Bondurant Driving school has closed. So with know one using the lake and no monthly checks from Bob, the GRIC MAY want to move on and develop the property.

Last edited:
I've been an avid follower of Nitromater from my days as a motorsports reporter/columnist for the Las Vegas Review-Journal and most recently as a publicist for Don Schumacher Racing. I'm in my second month as the business development/communication director for The Motorsports Park @ Wild Horse Pass. I didn't move 1,700 miles with two cats two months ago to work for a track that did not have a bright, long future ahead.

When you arrive for the 2019 NHRA Arizona Nationals on Feb. 22-24 you will see the commitment being made to creating one of the brightest stars on the Mello Yello circuit. I'll keep you updated on changes/improvements when they are set in concrete. It's more than putting lipstick on a wild horse.

I worked here for Charlie from 1988 to 1995, and for five of those years I worked with Jon Sands before he left for a very successful NASCAR career with Roush Racing and other noted teams. Jon is the General Manager at The Park and together we have 60 years of experience in drag racing/motorsports.

Another recent addition to the staff is Ron Conner as our Track Operations Manager. Ron, as many of you know, spent nearly two decades with the Safety Safari and helped run tracks including Topeka.

We are fortunate that our Gila River Indian Community puts a heavy value on experience and respects its elders!

My email is [email protected]

Jeff that is awesome to hear! I have my parents and sisters out there and I lived there in the mid '90s so was at the track often. I'm looking forward to coming out and attending the race in February.

I've been an avid follower of Nitromater from my days as a motorsports reporter/columnist for the Las Vegas Review-Journal and most recently as a publicist for Don Schumacher Racing. I'm in my second month as the business development/communication director for The Motorsports Park @ Wild Horse Pass. I didn't move 1,700 miles with two cats two months ago to work for a track that did not have a bright, long future ahead.

When you arrive for the 2019 NHRA Arizona Nationals on Feb. 22-24 you will see the commitment being made to creating one of the brightest stars on the Mello Yello circuit. I'll keep you updated on changes/improvements when they are set in concrete. It's more than putting lipstick on a wild horse.

I worked here for Charlie from 1988 to 1995, and for five of those years I worked with Jon Sands before he left for a very successful NASCAR career with Roush Racing and other noted teams. Jon is the General Manager at The Park and together we have 60 years of experience in drag racing/motorsports.

Another recent addition to the staff is Ron Conner as our Track Operations Manager. Ron, as many of you know, spent nearly two decades with the Safety Safari and helped run tracks including Topeka.

We are fortunate that our Gila River Indian Community puts a heavy value on experience and respects its elders!

My email is [email protected]
Very cool Jeff! I was wondering where you would land after the DSR gig. Congrats on the new job!

Jeff, will the track keep the practice of having to buy a ticket to the national in order to go to the Warm Up? And will they have the Warm Up? I have been going to the track since it opened. When I first went there, it reminded me a lot of Orange County, which I went to when I lived in LA. Glad to hear you guys are there now. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back