Why no Q for Shaun (1 Viewer)

Engineczar

Nitro Member
From a technical point of view why can't Shaun seem to get his car into the field?

This post is not intended as any kind of bash against Shaun. I happen to like him and DSR and wish them all the best of luck. I would love to see him get into the show.

Now, not to dumb down how tough it must be to drive one of those things but if you take it to it's simplest level:

you do a burnout
you stage the car
you hold it to the floor
you dump the clutch
you keep it straight
you shift the car at the proper shift points

Now I know in between all those things that things are happening faster than you could imagine and I'm know that there's more to it than just those few bullets but what is it that's not happening that's keeping him out of the show? I know BG was on here talking about his driving but I never caught exactly what it was that he was doing wrong, that is if he's doing anything wrong at all.

Last edited:
Several people have looked over Shaun's runs and said that he isn't doing anything wrong...

Jim

From a technical point of view why can't Shaun seem to get his car into the field?

Now, not to dumb down how tough it must be to drive one of those things but if you take it to it's simplest level:

you do a burnout
you stage the car
you hold it to the floor
you dump the clutch
you keep it straight

so all i have to do is buy a new haas or bickel car, pick up a 500 inch motor , follow your instruction, and BANG i get a nhra wally. hell i'm going to indy if it is that easy.

I never said it was easy, just the opposite. These guys (and gals) are the best. I'm just curious if there's anything that's missing.

I can live with Jims answer that he isn't doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

Now I know in between all those things that things are happening faster than you could imagine

That could be it right here. If a pro stock car is shifted just a couple hundred RPM off of where it should be, it throws the whole clutch package right out the window. If it's shifted too early, its going to go through the clutch. If it's shifted too late, the clutch will lock up too much and knock the RPM right out of it. This leaves a few hundredths on the table each time it happens. I don't know what Shaun's graphs look like and I'm not saying that this is necessarily the problem, but thats one thing that could cause it......

And just imagine how fast the car is revving up through the first 3 gears. The window of opportunity to hit the shift perfect is really, really small since the engine is revving up so fast.

I have stayed on the sidelines during this whole Shaun Carlson deal, mostly because I did not feel there was enough conclusive data for me to form an opinion one way or the other. Richie Stevens qualifies more often than not, and Erica qualifies in her first shot in a replica of Shaun's car. On the other hand, Gene Wilson missed the show too. So I guess I am not really saying anything other than if it was as simple as knowing what the problem was, Shoe would have made sure it was fixed long ago, and since Shaun is still driving the car, it is obvious that Shoe does not feel that is where the problem lies. It makes perfect sense for Shoe to expand to four cars at this point, as it doubles the available data and presumably doubles the development rate of the program.

Thanks Jamie, I used Shaun as an example but probably shouldn't have and I appologize to him. My main curiousity is what, other than the "perfect" run, can a driver do to make the car run quicker? If the car doesn't get out of shape does it solely come down to hitting the shift points? Does too much wheel movement scrub off speed?

If a driver hits the shift points perfectly and drives straight down the groove... my simple mind tells me to look somewhere else. The disclaimer here is that I really like Shaun alot. But facts are facts.

We don't know how good Shaun would be on the tree because he has never had a chance to show us.

Jim

Last edited:
I agree with you Billy. Erica comes over to DSR and qualifies in her first race with a new car, and new crew perhaps.Richie is getting into pretty much every show and Shaun has qualified for I think 1 race this year. It has got to be frustrating to say the least. Should just switch the keys between Richie and Shaun and see who can do what with the other guys' car. It can only get better once they figure that car out

sucks that team is struggling , shauns a great guy and i always look forward to chatting with hs other half , apple, shes a sweetheart.

This post is not intended as any kind of bash against Shaun. I happen to like him and DSR and wish them all the best of luck. I would love to see him get into the show.

you do a burnout
you stage the car
you hold it to the floor
you dump the clutch
you keep it straight

Now I know in between all those things that things are happening faster than you could imagine and I'm sure that there's more to it that just those few bullets but what is it that not's happening that's keeping him out of the show? I know BG was on here talking about his driving but I never caught exactly what it was that he was doing wrong, that is if he's doing anything wrong at all.

It is a tremendous amount harder than you can imagine. Please do not make statements like the one above without any first hand knowledge.
I think Jim stated that several people have looked at his runs and stated that it was not his driving. I think it would be wise to look at other issues and items. In time I am sure they will figure it out and get the results needed.
I have posted in the past that Pro Stock racing is a tremendous amount harder to do than one can imagine.
Most people have no idea, it is one of, if not the hardest car to drive. Please do not minimize what takes place in driving one of these cars.
Just wanted to give my perspective.

Thanks.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Shaun had a new car at Denver too. So swapping cars between Richie and Shaun should not be necessary to see if the car is the problem, as that would mean two cars were the problem. Anyway, he was close to qualifying again, but missed by a couple hundreths. I know Denver is a tricky place to run for naturally aspirated cars, and the track was really really hot, but it was for everyone, so hopefully things will turn out better for Shaun up in Seattle on a hopefully cooler race track. Can't be any worse than the conditions at Denver.

It is a tremendous amount harder than you can imagine. Please do not make statements like the one above without any first hand knowledge.

I agree 100%
I think people are taking my over-simplification the wrong way. I used those examples simply as a starting point to get an objective, technical conversation going about everything right or wrong that can go on during a Pro Stock run that affects the E.T.

Please keep in mind that from many earlier threads, it has been suggested and discussed that they should switch cars, engines, etc.....I do believe these have all been done.

Bill I don't know if you have ever raced a REALLY FAST stick shift car... I have driven Comp Cars.. slow compared to {Pro Stock.. my best ET was 8.03 in a D/A quite a few years ago... With that car which is 1+ sec slower than a PS I was in 2nd gear BEFORE the 60' clock.. PS cars are doing 60' in about 1 sec... then you have to hit 2nd just as quick.. When I drove I didn't even use the shift light for the 1-2 shift it happened THAT FAST..

Listen to EXPERIENCE... Bob Benza is one of the BEST in Comp... he KNOWS... To be honest I'm not a fan of SC .. I wish him well... but NO ONE can blast his driving without seeing the computer readouts..

Also it might be the CREW.. if they miss the clutch set up.. no matter HOW good the driver is.. he/she will be toast! Example WJ he is one of the BEST.. has experience, & builds all his own stuff... he also missed the field...

Just my thoughts..

I agree 100%
I think people are taking my over-simplification the wrong way. I used those examples simply as a starting point to get an objective, technical conversation going about everything right or wrong that can go on during a Pro Stock run that affects the E.T.

I got it Billy. Your post was fine to me.:cool:

I got it Billy. Your post was fine to me.:cool:

I got it too Billy.
Sometimes I just think that people forget how many variable there are (driver included) to get a car running consistently good numbers and how easy it would be for MANY of theose variables to rob a car of .001 or .002. It seems like it could add up to .008 or .009 so dang easy. :::shrug:::

I think Jim stated that several people have looked at his runs and stated that it was not his driving. I think it would be wise to look at other issues and items. In time I am sure they will figure it out and get the results needed.
I have posted in the past that Pro Stock racing is a tremendous amount harder to do than one can imagine.
Most people have no idea, it is one of, if not the hardest car to drive. Please do not minimize what takes place in driving one of these cars.
Just wanted to give my perspective.

Thanks.

i have to also agree with bob benza about how hard it is to drive a pro-stock car. i had always heard that an alcohol f/c was the hardest until i was given the chance to drive a pro-stock. after a couple races match races i relized i needed to stay in a f/c. the staging of a pro-stock car takes about 4 hands and 2 sets of eyes until you get comfortable. (if you ever do). some people have what it takes and some don't. some might need a couple years worth of runs to get comfortable. seeing how shaun came from sport compact it could just be to hard to shake the style required to drive the import compared to the 500 inch nhra cars. not trying to pick on him but mabey he just can't get acustomed to it. nobody is perfect. this is why i say i am impressed with erica enders. also i tip my hat to mike ashley for his ability to go from the door cars to a nitro f/c. i don't know of too many people that can go from one style to another with a large amount of success in every catagory they try.

Nothing against Shaun but I believe he is not confortable yet. Maybe he never will. About Gene Wilson missed the field with if I am not mistaken with a car that has some really old tubes and maybe not the best motor of the lot but he was the next to bump in. Thats where you have to give enders some kudos. New car new team and still makes the field. I am impressed with here!:D She is a good little driver.:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back