Why can't people have the class of Ron Capps? (2 Viewers)

Professor Dave

Nitro Member
For all you anti-countdown folks out there, I wish you'd have the grace of Ron Capps. if anyone has reason to complain about this format, it's him. But he hasn't, at least not in public and I doubt he has in private either. Just give him a race car to drive, any car of race car, and he's going to try to win and he's going to try to be stand by his sponsors and his teammates and whatever else happens, happens!

Well that is who signs his checks . When I talked to Capy at topeka he was not a fan of the "countdown to the dive" .But Ron is one who seems to keep it to himself untill he fells he should let everyone know i guess .

Dave I agree with your assumption of Ron, but please don't assume a TV interview response is what he really thinks. ;)

Rapid

Ohhh I bet he has.

Tony,
Question, can ya'll tune the car so you can run .029 quicker than someone instead of .033 quicker? can anyone call their shots that close? better than that, can you call a tune-up within .001? 2-4.521, 3-4.523, 4-4.524...

just asking

d'kid

Didn't he take a shot or two at the countdown during an after qualifying interview last night?

He was asked point blank about how he feels about being ahead in the old system, and behind in the new. He said something along the lines of still being happy knowing he had the points in the old system, and something about a trip, well to somewhere (not sure what this is in reference to).

He didn't come out saying that the countdown was a farce and he hates it, but he didn't sound too keen on the idea. I think body language had more to say than his words.

Like any pro driver of any form of motorsports.. no matter what you don't like you never comment in public..... or go on the record of disliking any part of where your pay check comes from....

he plays the media properly to its fullest extent...to the benifit of his sponsors.....

not knocking him ... they all do it at some time.... its how the game is played.. if you want to keep playing with out issues...

to qoute "animal house".. "Thank you sir.. may i have another?"

Billy

I watched the qualifying last night and felt really bad fro Ron when GG interviewed him at the top end or rather tried to twist the knife a little deeper..and I was impressed, Ron kept his composure and gave the politically correct answers... good job Ron!!

T :D

I watched the qualifying last night and felt really bad fro Ron when GG interviewed him at the top end or rather tried to twist the knife a little deeper..and I was impressed, Ron kept his composure and gave the politically correct answers... good job Ron!!

T :D

That's what I'm saying-he acted like a professional! But I also love the way he is willing to get into any race car, if given the opportunity! And I don't think he does those things for the money-he does those for the love of racing!

Like it or not drag racing is a sport, and as such has rules of engagement, and this year the rules are different. We all know where things would be if we followed historical rules and Ron Capps, probably better than anyone, knows where he would be sitting today entering the final race of the season.

I wager he will express himself at a time he feels appropriate when all is said and done. That said, he has shouwn significant maturity, class, and dignity in the manner in which he has handled the situation thusfar. I have no reason to believe going forward that he will not continue to exhibit the same sportsmanship.

However this "Countdown" has shown everyone the reality of what happens during a season when a solid and fair format is reorganized and all I can hope for is that NHRA makes the proper adjustments to their system restore the credibility and integrity of of sport after this season is finalized and they have had an opportunity to professionally and fairly evalulate the performance of the changes they made to the professional series.

Tony,
Question, can ya'll tune the car so you can run .029 quicker than someone instead of .033 quicker? can anyone call their shots that close? better than that, can you call a tune-up within .001? 2-4.521, 3-4.523, 4-4.524...

just asking

d'kid
Well I wouldn't say we approach it in that manner. We tune our car to what we think the track will take and sometimes what the other car is capable of comes into play.

There are so many factors that can slow or speed a car up .001 to .004, I can't imagine someone could make those kind of adjustments.

For all you anti-countdown folks out there, I wish you'd have the grace of Ron Capps. if anyone has reason to complain about this format, it's him. But he hasn't, at least not in public and I doubt he has in private either. Just give him a race car to drive, any car of race car, and he's going to try to win and he's going to try to be stand by his sponsors and his teammates and whatever else happens, happens!

Ron gets paid to lie. I don't . The countdown sucks.

Like it or not drag racing is a sport, and as such has rules of engagement, and this year the rules are different. We all know where things would be if we followed historical rules and Ron Capps, probably better than anyone, knows where he would be sitting today entering the final race of the season.

I wager he will express himself at a time he feels appropriate when all is said and done. That said, he has shouwn significant maturity, class, and dignity in the manner in which he has handled the situation thusfar. I have no reason to believe going forward that he will not continue to exhibit the same sportsmanship.

However this "Countdown" has shown everyone the reality of what happens during a season when a solid and fair format is reorganized and all I can hope for is that NHRA makes the proper adjustments to their system restore the credibility and integrity of of sport after this season is finalized and they have had an opportunity to professionally and fairly evalulate the performance of the changes they made to the professional series.

Huh???????:confused::confused:

REX:confused:

I don't profess to know what any driver actually thinks of the crapdown. I do know that if their opinion is negative, and drivers, sponsors and fans voted with their feet, we wouldn't be seeing it. Until then, it will continue to be shoved down our throats.

A lot of people have the class of Ron Capps. Most just don't talk as much.

Dave - all that matters to the folks on here is what gets said on camera that they are privy to - so I am SURE all will agree with you.

Take for example the deal last week with Tony S. We don't know what was said in private, but only what we saw on camera - since it was negative, that's all there was. So I am sure it's all the same with Ron - right 'Maters?

:rolleyes:

DLB

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back