Which tracks have curfews? (1 Viewer)

Luke Nieuwhof

Nitro Member
Hi guys, does anyone know which tracks on the NHRA tour have curfews that would prevent night racing? Or if it's a smaller list, which tracks don't?
In terms of spectator comfort and entertainment spectacle I wonder why there isn't a night race on the tour.

Sears Point is 6:00.
For Friday at the national race, there is an exemption, don't remember the Friday curfew.
The neighbors, they don't want unhappy cows...

Epping does not have a night curfew they do night racing like "Funny Cars Under the Stars" and "Jet Cars Under the Stars"

The one that never made sense to me was Sonoma. They have a 10pm curfew on Fridays and 6pm the rest of the week. Heck the sun is still out and bright at 6pm, it does not make sense, there is nothing within five miles of the place except grapes and sheep. The first year I went there the 2nd top fuel session got cancelled as the day ran long with oildowns.

Obviously Pomona has a 6pm curfew but I feel like they have gone over before, and of course last year at the finals Megarita fired up well after 6 lol.

The one that never made sense to me was Sonoma. They have a 10pm curfew on Fridays and 6pm the rest of the week. Heck the sun is still out and bright at 6pm, it does not make sense, there is nothing within five miles of the place except grapes and sheep. The first year I went there the 2nd top fuel session got cancelled as the day ran long with oildowns.

Obviously Pomona has a 6pm curfew but I feel like they have gone over before, and of course last year at the finals Megarita fired up well after 6 lol.
When you’re at Sonoma there is one house not too terribly far from the track. From the grandstands look in the distance and you’ll see it. She made a squak and got her way quite a few years ago.

Even at tracks that have no curfew (like Vegas), you are unlikely to see night racing. I have been given 3 reasons for this:

1. Teams don't want their guys at the track late at night and right back early the next day.
2. Teams want to qualify in conditions as similar to raceday as possible.
3. Vegas specific, but they want to go to nice dinners and shows and do Vegas-y stuff.

A Saturday night race was tried at St. Louis a few years ago, hard to get good TV ratings prime time Saturday night, and attendance was not what they hoped it would be.

Chris, I have heard similar things from teams. In addition, the teams have a routine for racing that gets messed up as you dsecibed in #1. Personally, I like night racing but I don't have to stay late and come back early to work on a car!

i think the hobby racers want daytime racing, because they're there just having fun, which includes off-track evening entertainment, food, and fun.
those truly professional racers probably don't care when they race because they are too busy building their own engines all the time. they don't get to have fun. ;)

Last edited:
Epping does not have a night curfew they do night racing like "Funny Cars Under the Stars" and "Jet Cars Under the Stars"
Epping has an 11pm curfew every night...but they are allowed to run later, as long as they call the local police department and let them know.

I know when we were match racing it was mostly on Sat evening into night time

Match racing was not on TV, didn't have corporate sponsors and was not competing against all of the modern distractions like social media, Netflix, 500 channel HDTV, etc.

Match racing was not on TV, didn't have corporate sponsors and was not competing against all of the modern distractions like social media, Netflix, 500 channel HDTV, etc.
O, I understand that what I was saying people didn't complain about noise back then as much and it was fun night racing

There is a soft curfew of midnight in Denver, but if the nitro cars are running, they'll complete the session after midnight. Along those lines, Denver might be the closest to a night race on the circuit, that is if you're only there for the pros. For the longest time, the Friday pro sessions were at 4pm and 8pm and the Saturday sessions were at noon and 4pm. Maybe five or so years ago they changed the Saturday schedule. The pros now run at 3pm and 7pm on Saturday. Essentially, the pros are on the track sometime between 3pm and 11pm on Friday and Saturday, so if you were only attending the event to watch the pros, then it kind of is an evening/night race, until the normal Sunday 11am round 1 time.

So in Bandimere’s case - does that also apply to the bands playing pounding bass techno and hip hop just on the other side of the hill at Red Rocks Ampitheater as well??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back