Where are the Torrences? (1 Viewer)

DixonFan

Staff member
Administrator
By now everyone is wondering why the Torrence's are not present at Pomona this weekend. A source close to the situation tells me that Mama Kay and family are not planning to pay the $25,000 fine or have Steve go through the anger management classes that the NHRA imposed on him. The Torrence's are not planning to attend any races until the NHRA lifts the fines. Should be interesting to see how long the holdout lasts....I don't see the NHRA giving into there demands.

Side note: Why is Jeff Diehl and Scott Palmer not participating at pomona? Well, the Torrence racing group supplies both theses racers with parts. So if the Torrence's are not racing than the parts supply doesn't funnel down to them. Both racers are caught in a Catch 22.

Stay tuned for updates........

By now everyone is wondering why the Torrence's are not present at Pomona this weekend. A source close to the situation tells me that Mama Kay and family are not planning to pay the $25,000 fine or have Steve go through the anger management classes that the NHRA imposed on him. The Torrence's are not planning to attend any races until the NHRA lifts the fines. Should be interesting to see how long the holdout lasts....I don't see the NHRA giving into there demands.

Side note: Why is Jeff Diehl and Scott Palmer not participating at pomona? Well, the Torrence racing group supplies both theses racers with parts. So if the Torrence's are not racing than the parts supply doesn't funnel down to them. Both racers are caught in a Catch 22.

That's the first bit of speculation on this that makes sense.

...Mama Kay and family are not planning to pay the $25,000 fine or have Steve go through the anger management classes that the NHRA imposed on him. The Torrence's are not planning to attend any races until the NHRA lifts the fines. Should be interesting to see how long the holdout lasts....I don't see the NHRA giving into there demands.

Wow. That's like next level "Not my kid" stuff. NHRA should've just pulled the 25K out of the Championship check. I hope NHRA holds strong on this.

Really sucks for the Palmer and Diehl teams and supporters, but it's part of how they're playing the game.

The reason is that Torrance (and a lot of other racers) think that it cheapens the countdown. I agree...
I'd agree with it more if there were closer to a couple dozen cars per class with a legitimate shot of making it. As it is, the countdown has basically always been a 6-race sprint for the big-budget teams who were practically guaranteed their spots anyway. Adding a couple more fighting to finish tenth won't change that.

Wow that's interesting for sure. if true, I'm sure the NHRA will hold firm for a while but not having your reining Top Fuel champion race due to a difference of opinion and losing 3 quality top fuel cars and one fuel funny car from your big show that already has frequent short fields ain't a good look either and sure won't help the walk up gate. The Torrence family has no one but themselves to answer to and do this for the love, not the money. Do the Torrence's help out anyone else besides Palmer and Diehl that could get caught up in this?

A couple of thoughts come to mind about this IF it's true.
1: Are Palmer and Diehl not coming to show support for the Torrences, or is it because they need the parts and Torrences won't supply them.
2: If NHRA gives in to the demands, will this set precedence for other racers to ignore the rules and penalties?

Last edited:
If they are trying to appeal the penalties, the NHRA has to allow them to race while the appeal process is going on from what I understand.

I that was me, I would just pay the fine, do the classes and move on. (you might learn something...)
It has to be costing them more money to sit out than paying the fine, as I would think that they are still paying the crew, to keep them from looking for a job. Those people need to keep supporting their families.
Really, that is like the old saying, biting off you nose to spite your face.

Man up, admit the mistake, make the proper amends and move on. I think more of a person that can do that.
I am still a fan of the Torrance family... but it is getting difficult to keep saying that.

really dont get the why the torrences have an issue, steve has already admitted wrong doing and i cant imagine its the 25K, so i'm guessing, forcing steve to take the anger management classes are the problem and i guess when your a billionaire, no one tells you what to do! . . . . . easy fix , find some strip mall clinic, slip the instructor a couple hundred, for a passing grade and problem solved!;) of course another problem will be, if at the next race, steve clocks another driver in the face, then everyone will know the classes didn't take!:p

My super source is telling me something different. So I guess we'll have to watch and see. Should be interesting. :)

when you're funding your own team, and there is no advantage to be leading the points at Indy, why run them all? Billy Torrence and Mike Salinas both proved you can get in the championship battle by just winning a couple . Plus I don't see people speculating about anything on Team Salinas sitting out several..

NHRA isn't going to cave on the fine and classes. The Torrences will blink first, or just stay home. Their choice.

And if they (NHRA) does succumb to their threats, just what does that say to every other racer (in all classes)? That they can just ignore NHRA penalties?

Has the NHRA ever required anybody to take anger management classes before?

That's the stupid part of this whole ordeal. It seems awfully petty on the part of NHRA. A fine is understandable. Requiring anger management classes is ridiculous. NHRA has enough problems getting full fuel fields as it is. Now they are effectively seeing four fuel teams staying home for what is supposed to be a celebration of the 60th Winternationals, all because of a wimpy open-handed shove.
The only good thing I see coming out of this is Cameron Ferre's name is being mentioned a lot. Before the incident, he got zero air time, even though he usually made the field. Hopefully, it helps get him in front of more sponsors. I want to see him do well in Top Fuel.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back