Water by day-Nitro at night (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
In the early to mid-seventies I would do a double with some buddies. On a select week end we would got for qualifying on Saturday for the National Drag Boat Association event at Long Beach Marine Stadium during the day. When racing on the liquid 1320 was over at 5:00, we would make the usual less than an hour drive to Irwindale Raceway's Saturday night race. The couple times I remember, Irwindale had a 8-car nitro fc, 16-car BB/FC and 16-Alky digger race.

Of course upon arrival at Irwindale we would "woof" down a couple of cheeseburgers, after that race, usually done before 11, we would drag out tails back to the San Fernando Valley, clean up then crash.

Up by 8 or so, eat some grub, then dash back out to Long Beach for NDBA final eliminations that had to end by 5:00pm By the time we had done all that come Sunday night, aided by countless adult frosties, sleep was easy to come by, great times.

TopFuel@Lions

Maybe Cliff or Chris can jog my memory but I believe about 10-12 years ago at Firebird on a Saturday they had a double header with the IHBA spring race during the day and a 16 funny car/fuel altered show at night. I was only able to attend the funny car show but I remember it was pretty popular because I think one ticket got you into both races. Of course the last two World Finals Scott Palmer has brought the dragster out for a pass on Saturday night

Trying to remember that..... I remember a big race where they ran AA/FA, Pro Mod & probably F/C, but that was a long time ago, don't think it ran in conjunction with boat drags. Sigh, memory gone. Well, I will be there for the Divisional in a few weeks.

If you missed the last two boat drag World Finals, then you missed Scott Palmer making a launch/pass. This shot was from 2017 and everyone in the shot are boat racers, and there were a lot more not in the picture. As soon as we were done at the lake for the day, we all rolled out to the drag strip and had a bunch of fun, and Tommy Thompson later put out a spread.

BR5_6888_2.jpg

When was Scott's last outing in a boat?

World Finals last year with Kebin Kinsley piloting, they dominated that weekend, won the race, set the speed record three times, had a leg up on the e.t. record and then fired the boat up and whacked the throttle 13 times in front of the grandstands

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back