Vinny Arcadi Passes (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Saw the news on Complus this morning. Very sorry to hear this. I never met Vinny but rooted for him since he lived only about an hour from me. My condolences to the Arcadi family.

I too was stunned and saddened when I read the story this morning.

This is a big shock, especially since he was diagnosed not so long ago.

RIP

You know.....that's pretty much the case most of the time, Bullet. My Dad was diagnosed in Jan. '88......He passed on Easter Sunday, a little more than 3 months later. My heartfelt condolences to the Arcadi family. I liked Vinnie's style..............................

Late..................Mitch

Yes this is terribly sad news. I didn't really meet him apart from exchanging a "Hi, how ya doing?" at the IHRA race here last year but it feels like a friend of mine has passed. I'll remember his qualifying run (got out of the groove, brushed the wall but still got #1 and the track record) as a testament to the kind of competitor he was.

Bummer.

Memorial information (courtesy of IHRA.com):

A memorial service will be held Saturday, January 6 at Our Lady of Pompeii, 129 Laberack Ave., Lancaster, NY 14086. The service will start at 9:30 a.m.

Cards and donations may be sent to:

Memory of Vinny Arcadi, ATTN: John Arcadi, 1970 Jamison Road, East Aurora, New York 10452.

Donations will help the Arcadi Family defray the the medical bills left behind. After those bills are paid, 100 percent of the remaining money will be donated to help fund cancer research.

GREAT Vinny Arcadi Story....

It was about 5 years ago...I was in my friend Ed's bar on Military Road here in Buffalo, NY just having a drink with him on one of my off weekends in NASCAR, the series that I was working deals in, mostly at the time...Ed was telling me about this longtime buddy of his in Lancaster (Buffalo suburb) who just bought this Nitro Funny Car...Now, I had never been to an NHRA event, and couldn't have named a driver except for Force, Kalitta, or Pruhdomme....I knew NOTHING about it...But I knew what they were, and understood the magnitude of the series, so I said to my friend Ed (who was NOT a big race fan, so I thought, "What do you know...?) I thought he was mistaken or full of B.S.....So, Ed says that because he was my bud and knew what I did with sponsorship marketing and PR, and Vinny was HIS bud, that he wanted to get us together to see if I could help him with his PR and Marketing, so I agreed to meet with him....

Low and behold, an hour later, Vinny, all 5'7" of him (if that!) comes strolling into the bar, and after a few minutes of him and Ed catching up, we started to chat...He mentioned that he wanted to take me to his house, where he had his shop, and show me his car and stuff...So 15 minutes later, off to Vinny's house we went...I was IMMEDIATELY blown away at what I saw, and what I was learning about this rocket ship...So I agreed to go to St. Louis with him that same weekend and see if we could drum up some last minute money and some attention to him and his team from the media..

Unfortunately, because it was SO last minute (like 48 hours before we were leaving), and at that point, I knew NOTHING about drag racing really, I was only able to raise about $5000 for him for that race...But we did need some publicity, so I came up with an idea...I felt that we could "kill 2 birds with one stone" by getting the TV time we needed, and also raise a bunch of money for DRAW...What we did was let fans actually sign the body of the car, anywhere they wanted for $20, of which was 100% collected by DRAW right on the spot. We had few hundred signatures on the car, raised a few grand for DRAW, and ESPN was ALL OVER it during the race, and also on NHRA2Day...Unforyunately Vinny didn't make the race, but the exposure was awsome...!

How he hooked me is pretty funny....He was staging the car, and I figured he'd be there for a few minutes, so I went up behind the car, and was fixing a smudged fan signature on the back of the spill plate when he launched a 5.09 at like 302 mph WHILE MY THUMB WAS ON THE CAR.....so sh%t...that was THE coolest moment that I have had at a race track that I wasn't driving...EVER....I'll never forget it....

That weekend, I saw Vinny chat with EVERY fan that came near him...and as if they were old friends, too...That is just how he treated people...Even peole that had no idea that he was a racer, that we would just meet in a bar around HERE were treated the exact same way...

Vinny was old school....He was blue collar, running the paving business that he founded with his brother, along with a few bars in his day, some modest real estate, etc...He worked VERY hard, came from nothing, and god bless him for chasing his dreams of driving a Nitro Funny car...You did it, buddy!!!

If you had the privaledge to call him your friend, as I did, then I am SURE that you will have the same feelings about Vince Arcadi that I did...

Vince, you will be VERY, VERY deeply missed by not only your family and friends, but by many in the racing community, as well...

Godspeed, brother...

I am very sorry to hear about Vinny passing, He had only found out he had cancer a few months ago! I only meet him recently at an IHRA race he was doing what he loved racing a nitro funny car. Big Mike must have helped finding him a driving job in heaven! RIP

you both will be missed by your friends & familys

James

Vinny Arcadi...

I'd love to hear more stories from those of you that have had the good fortune to meet him, or know him...He was certainly a cool cat...He did a LOT for the MDA if you didn't know that..He tried to raise a lot of awareness for them...There are pics of him and his cars on his website...Not sure if I am allowed to post it here or not, but it is Vinny Arcadi Racing - IHRA Funny Car

He will be sorely missed...

Wait Until You Read This...

Am I the only one here that is very bothered that the NHRA doesn't even acknowledge Vinny or this tragedy on their Website...? I'm sure, that knowing the NHRA, I am not the only one that is surprised by this, either...

I'm almost sure Vinny raced some selected NHRA events. They should acknowlege him. He helped the sport in many ways. I will certainly mention him on my site.

I never got to meet him but his passing saddens me greatly. Vinny is in a better place looking back at a great career, having the oportunity to do what he loved. God Bless his those he left behind.

Last edited:
Vinny Arcadi in the NHRA....

I believe he raced in/attempted qualifying for about 18-20 NHRA events over the last 5 years or so...

Jay
I am really happy that Vinny was the one to show you what DRAG RACING is all about... There are'nt very many Vinny's left in this world of high dollar, can't show or tell you about that teams left, but there are still a few... I'm glad Vinny and his machine made such an impression on you to come and stay, a true friend and fan for life... Welcome to THE RIDE!!

Vinny

Hey all,

I too was saddened to learn of Vinny's passing. I spoke to him at all of the IHRA races I attended as an announcer as well as a couple I was announcing at and doing some spots for 1320tv. I interviewed Vinny after the Michigan fire when the Kalitta's had provided him with a body and his volunteer crew busted hump 24 hours a day to get the car ready.
I was really hoping he would get an iron man last season, it would have been a great story line and a nice accomplishment for him and his team.
I really got the sense that Vinny relished the fact that he was in the mix in the IHRA program, he was a legit threat at every race and made every run in competition tough for his competitor.

There will be a pretty big hole in the world of funny car racing next season withe Vinny no longer being with us.
A skinned knuckle, greasy handed, dirty firesuited, hell of a race car driver. That's the way I'll remember him.

Brian

I was at the same race Doug Finch described and was in awe of him after that run. I keft that race a big fan of his. The next race after in Milan where he burned the car to the ground and into the sand trap, the look of dissapointment his face really got to me. You could just tell that it really hurt him to wreck his car like that. To see him rebound and make the next race and how he did it earned my utmost respect as a fan.

My utmost respect to Arcadi as a grass roots racer and I feel I've missed out not knowing of him earlier. You will definitely be missed and sincere condolences to his family.

Am I the only one here that is very bothered that the NHRA doesn't even acknowledge Vinny or this tragedy on their Website...? I'm sure, that knowing the NHRA, I am not the only one that is surprised by this, either...

Jay, I too find this a major slight by NHRA since Vinny did qualify at a few NHRA races over the years and made many attempts to qualify. I never met Vinny although I think I saw his rig at the GatorNationals once. What a great story about your first meeting with Vinny and I wish I had been more aware of his achievements and especially his desire. Anyone who has the guts and the will to go nitro fuel racing in any form has my respect, but to do it without much funding is very admirable. Not many guys like Vinny left our there. We have lost more than we are aware. Godspeed Vinny.

Retracting previous statement about NHRA & Vinny Arcadi slighted

Turns out NHRA.COM did have a News post about Vinny Arcadi's death and funeral arrangements. Sorry to have posted what I did in response to Jay's post, as I hadn't checked NHRA's site thoroughly. :eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back