Vegas entry list (1 Viewer)

Chili

Nitro Member
By far the fewest cars in Las Vegas National event history. Maybe the pro racers are skipping it do to the 4 wide format. Not one single full field between top fuel and TAFC. I realize we are still a week out from the deadline so maybe we will get more entries.

Last edited:
Just realized Leah is not on the entry list. I guess she doesn’t have the funding for the entire season.

8 car fields and 1/8th mile drag racing is the future. 1320 went to 1000, and now at a 1000 ft we are having the same problem. too short of shutdown area. so 1/8th is in the future for fuel cars, who cant see that coming? it may save some expenses, i am 59 years old. first race was pomona, age 5, 1966. standing room only. if one u-tubes a NASCAR race from 10 years ago, you will notice full grandstands. so we do the countdown thing like NASCAR and there is no shortage of aluminum seen where butts should be in our grandstands. if we remove grandstands like NASCAR, empty grandstands wont be seen on tv, the casual fan will fall for the crowded stands and think they are really missing something. till they get to the track and find no 16 car fields in a number of classes. by then they have paid to get in and NHRA is happy. as for 1/8th mile fuel car racing?? i thank the good lord i will see little of it due to my age :) now the fuel teams can simply agree to miss x amount of races and make the countdown. they have control now, not NHRA. this year has proven the countdown is now simply making the top 10. with the leakers and slackers, a person like shoe can show up next month and make the countdown EASY. 2 wins and a couple good rounds will out point the slackers and your in the countdown in 5 races

shoe could show up at denver and make the countdown without a sweat. you only have to have enough points to make the top 10. add the slackers / leakers / under funded teams that only show up at few events and the top 10 will have a red carpet rolled out for guys like shoe to show up and get in this year as late as denver. if we continue to follow NASCAR, i expect the same results. daytona is now run in stages. drag racing can go back to 1320 and make the cars stop twice for drivers to sign autographs down the track. if a car smokes the tires at the hit, they will still have 2 more chances to win the race. the casual fan has a very short attention span compared to the days prior of smartphones. last year at seattle i sat next to a 17-18 yr. old and the only time he took his eyes off the phone was AFTER he heard the hit. he ignored ALL burnouts. that folks, is todays next generation casual fan.

Last edited:
Dave I don't ever expect to see the fuel classes go to 1/8 mile. The only track that has problems with the track length and shut down is Pomona. It's the shortest on the circuit and has no way to get more room. If it gets to be a problem they will just slow the cars down again. The major reason for slowing the cars down was when Hight went 339. Goodyear was not happy as their tire is rated to 350mph and Robert was too close when you figure the speed shown is not the actual speed but the average between the speed traps. Taking away the record and points for speed was done so the teams would not be pushing for the speed and driving it through the lights.
It will be interesting what the fuel car count ends up at. I agree that the 4 wide may keep some away. Will have to wait and see what happens at Bristol 4 wide. They do have a advantage as there are more part time racers in the right half of the coumtry.

Last edited:
Cost is still an issue and cutting back on National events is going to happen. Pomona, Reading and I believe Columbus are too short and outdated. Make Vegas the starting and ending replacing Pomona. Eventually the nitro class will have to reset with a new engine combo but who knows when.

so if pomona goes due to being short, that leaves no national event for the los angeles market. seattle looks like it will hold on up here. if it closes and pomona closes, sonoma will be the only race on the west coast and will not cover los angeles or northwest markets. so. cal. will not have a national event and the so. cal. casual fan will not go to vegas as they cant stay off the phone long enough to get there! NHRA will go 1/8th mile before they give up parker ave.

1/8th mile ??? ...……. from my observation 1/8 mile racing seems to be the most popular format among the amateur ranks these days, but its popular for racers only. its horrible from a spectator point of view and from most of the video I've seen proves it. most 1/8 mile races, u can take spectator attendance with one hand, while holding a coke in that same hand. I give nhra credit sticking with 1320 and they are, pretty much the only racing that draws a crowd!

shoe could show up at denver and make the countdown without a sweat. you only have to have enough points to make the top 10. add the slackers / leakers / under funded teams that only show up at few events and the top 10 will have a red carpet rolled out for guys like shoe to show up and get in this year as late as denver. if we continue to follow NASCAR, i expect the same results. daytona is now run in stages. drag racing can go back to 1320 and make the cars stop twice for drivers to sign autographs down the track. if a car smokes the tires at the hit, they will still have 2 more chances to win the race. the casual fan has a very short attention span compared to the days prior of smartphones. last year at seattle i sat next to a 17-18 yr. old and the only time he took his eyes off the phone was AFTER he heard the hit. he ignored ALL burnouts. that folks, is todays next generation casual fan.

Here's the Top Fuel top 10 as of today, please point out the "Leakers and Slackers" as well as the underfunded teams.
I am aware the Billy Torrence is only running part time, does that make him a leaker, slacker, or underfunded?

Alan

01Doug Kalitta
02Leah Pritchett
03Steve Torrence
04Billy Torrence
05Richie Crampton
06Terry McMillen
07Mike Salinas
08Clay Millican
09Antron Brown
10Austin Prock

1/8th mile ??? ...……. from my observation 1/8 mile racing seems to be the most popular format among the amateur ranks these days, but its popular for racers only. its horrible from a spectator point of view and from most of the video I've seen proves it. most 1/8 mile races, u can take spectator attendance with one hand, while holding a coke in that same hand. I give nhra credit sticking with 1320 and they are, pretty much the only racing that draws a crowd!
1/8 Mike racing was popular 30 yrs ago and still is, a lot of fun for bracket racing and easy on parts,

My first nitro experience was at the Winternationals at Pomona in 1967 and I've been hooked ever since. I did a bunch of bracket and class racing primarily at Orange County and occasionally at Irwindale until both of those tracks went away. I also went to Las Vegas for there first national event. I continue to attend Friday qualifying at both Pomona events each year.
I will not go to Las Vegas for a 4-wide event since I don't like the 4-wide format. And I would probably stop going if Pomona should ever be a 1/8-mile event.
It wouldn't bother me at all if NHRA returned to the current nostalgia nitro rules because the nostalgia events at Famoso are a blast.

the spring concord race is fairly popular with fans. i'm thinking the same is going to happen next weekend ??

Cost is still an issue and cutting back on National events is going to happen. Pomona, Reading and I believe Columbus are too short and outdated. Make Vegas the starting and ending replacing Pomona. Eventually the nitro class will have to reset with a new engine combo but who knows when.

We haven't raced a National Event at Columbus in 12 years. And Reading added a long paved runoff area quite a few years ago as well.

Alan

alan= my answer to your question? billy torrance. he let it be known he will not be at all races. he wont make it to all races but will make top 10. thats my point. terry mc was easy pickins till he got a bit of help from other ppl, so he did not improve, others improved his consistency for him. he blew up everything. so, yeh, we have 10 cars lol!!! look at the amount of cars we had in the past. the amount of fuel cars left is a joke, and of the top ten, what? 4 ppl own all 10 cars in T/F?? nobody wants to discuss that im sure. if this sport can only draw 14 T/F cars at the winternationals, this sport has now proven it is in serious, serious, trouble. as for leakers and slackers? we have one T/F car here at seattle that runs no more than one NHRA event per year!!! and that car fails to make full pulls. and it only makes the program as only 15 other T/F cars show up. he could do/has done a burnout, coast down track one time and he is in the race sunday. 14 cars at pomona, and no shoe?? this sport has never been in so much trouble. bill d. put on events that were a local disaster so many ppl showed up. seattle is allowed X amount of night time events. but the northwest nats. get shut down at 5 or 6 pm in mid summer!! no fri. / sat. night racing. and on sunday eliminations are over at what? 3:30 pm?? 4 pm??? why even go on sunday? one must wear sunglasses from the glare of empty aluminum grandstands at seattle on sunday. alan, im sorry to vent, but this sport has gone down the drain just like NASCAR. as being drag racers lets address the problem and solve it. wheelstanders / jets / and god forbid a class that must do a 200 ft. burnout or get docked a couple tenths on the tree!!! no burnouts / wheelstanders / jets?? sunset is now considered as night time racing. nothing like watching fuel cars in the black of night. drag racing is getting just what it asked for. the 4 wide tracks are great for big bracket races. so 4 wide eliminates even more racing from a event. 16 wide is the answer. that way the next generation can spend there day on the phone at the track.

Dave, you bring up good points. But I will tell you I was at the Gators, and there was a LOT going on. 2 classes of bikes, 30 PM cars in a record field, crazy alky performances, insane FSS racing, and on and on. Now, I know not every event on the tour will be like this, I’m just saying all is not lost. Oh and the place was packed. The cost of racing is really the common denominator to most of the issues the sport is facing. Unfortunately that’s not an easy fix, but it must be addressed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back