V. Gaines (1 Viewer)

8sec71

Nitro Member
Just read on fb he is testing a Camaro in Florida this weekend. No 2018 plans as of yet though.

It is too bad that MoPar (Dodge) failed to redesign the so called "Hemi" head so it would work with the new fuel injection. In fact they are giving NO support to Pro Stock racing. The trouble
with the cylinder head is the intake valve is to close to the intake port. This gives a very short runner that doesn't give the same velocity to the cylinder that the GM type head has. If they
moved the valve down more like the GM design they could still put the spark plug somewhere near the middle and still call it a "Hemi" engine. Then they would have a longer intake runner that would make them equal to the GM design that has proven to be the absolute best design for achieving maximum static compression ratio and incredible cylinder head flow. I can still remember seeing the first 1965 Biscayne with good headers run down the track from the starting line at Half Moon Bay drag strip at an NHRA divisional race. The sound it made was so perfect that I said aloud. "That is the engine of the future" Lots of people scoffed at my comment but it sure proved to be true. They thought nothing could replace the small block Chevy. The only other engine that had a sound that rivaled it was the SOHC Ford. It was a screamer! It's too bad that Dodge and Ford don't support Pro Stock, but this past year it sure was exciting even though it was almost all Cameros.

well if they aren't giving support, I wonder if a 500 ci alcohol block would work ....in other words go back to Gen2 Hemis

Well that thread got hijacked quickly. Glad to hear V. is back in a car again! Hopefully that means he comes back out to some races. A retro paint job just like his old Camaro would be awesome!

I'm just so happy to hear there will be Yet_Another_Camaro in Pro Stock. I thought the new rule was to get some brand diversity? Guess not.

I'm just so happy to hear there will be Yet_Another_Camaro in Pro Stock. I thought the new rule was to get some brand diversity? Guess not.
I'm quite sure there was already a lo of money spent on cars for 2018, that will not be affected by this new rule...

Got to talk with V and Larry Morgan a few times when they were just hanging out in the stands together at Englishtown. Was like talking to a couple of old friends, both very cool and personable guys. Would be great to see him back no matter what he is piloting.

I took 2 pics of Morgan and V at Maple Grove one year. Larry looks like he wants to know what the $@#& I was doing, while V said "wait a second" and put his cigar in his jaw and posed for me!
Gotta find those pics someday...35mm prints so they're packed away somewhere...

Maybe he’ll put a mopar decal on the hood and all mopar fans will pull for him, that’s what NHRA is hoping for, it’s still a Chevy, NHRA changed the rules to handicap Ford and Mopar, I don’t blame them for pulling out

Maybe he’ll put a mopar decal on the hood and all mopar fans will pull for him, that’s what NHRA is hoping for, it’s still a Chevy, NHRA changed the rules to handicap Ford and Mopar, I don’t blame them for pulling out

mopar pulled out before the rpm rule unless you are still hung up over what happened 60 years ago. How exactly did it handicap Ford since they have not been a serious player since Glidden?

mopar pulled out before the rpm rule unless you are still hung up over what happened 60 years ago. How exactly did it handicap Ford since they have not been a serious player since Glidden?

before it was formally announced I am sure the subject was discussed long before "we" knew about it. Ford and Mopar are gone and PS has zero effect on factory cars , they will concentrate on FSS AND SS

I think if teams would phase in LS type motor there would be a renewed interest from maufactures.

Maybe since Mopar and Ford both have a superior “hemi type” design that had to be handicapped out of competitive ability NHRAcould adopt that design and let GM develop a new design?

Maybe since Mopar and Ford both have a superior “hemi type” design that had to be handicapped out of competitive ability NHRAcould adopt that design and let GM develop a new design?

Is that why MOPAR and Ford have been dominating the last few years? Oh, wait, they haven't......
And if any of you have seen the DRCE3 cylinder head, you would know that it's closer to the latest generation HEMI than you think. Did you know that KB runs the DRCE3 but Elite and GRAY are still running the DRCE2? I guess it's possible to make both work.

The 10,500 RPM rule had NOTHING to do with any single manufacturer, and the Ken Black cars were running the engines at higher RPM then any other team out there regardless of brand, so if anyone would have been penalized it would have been them. They had the biggest adjustment to make and they made it.

So did it save money? Well, Drew Skillman made 47 consecutive runs without pulling the engine out of the car. No freshen, no Dyno, no nothing. 47 RUNS! Sounds like that part is saving money to me. How about you? He went to seven finals and scored four wins this year, so you would have to say he had a competitive car.

Roy was getting where he needed to be with the HEMI, his biggest problem was that he is a single car team, if he had more help in the shop and three or four cars to learn from he would have been running at or very near the front just as he was before the changes.

As always, this is just my (Informed) opinion,
Alan

So did it save money?

i think the true answer to that is the car count since the implementation of EFI. it pretty much remained the same or decreased, plus i'recall a few interviews, with the competitors saying all efi accomplished, was costing guys already participating more money.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back