U.S. Nationals needed improvements (1 Viewer)

Clark W.

Nitro Member
OK, my 2 cents about Indy. New grandstands are great (long overdue). Finally a better way for the corporate customers (and all fans) and their guests to have a quality seat just minutes from the Nitro pits. Grade A+.

Speaker (PA) and sound system are just awful. Cannot understands well at all. I checked out the west side also and was still very poor. Needs major overhaul. Grade D-.

We need 3 more video boards. One between the Top Eliminator Club and the west grandstand facing the new grandstand. Another at the end of the west stand facing the new grandstand. And another next to the tower facing the TEC and west grandstand. Then move the existing board closer to the east stand facing the west grandstand. There is room for all of these and if we want to make this a more legit, big time sport, the facilities must be more major league. It would make the downtime much easier to sit through. The drag race fan sits through a whole lot of nothing. Maybe live reports from the pits of the guys who just ran and the problems they had during the run, with video of the repairs in action, etc and better replays. I know there are costs involved but we must step up!

I had a lot of time to think about these during the major cleanups because of Novelli (Friday) and Dakins (Saturday afternoon) major oil downs. We must do a much better job of keeping the paying customer entertained. We have inherent problems that just go with operating a drag race event with all the downtime required to prep the track for different types of cars. The racers must do a better job of containing oil and delays. I bring a couple of new customers and its their first time at a major drag race event and their reaction is always the same. They think its really cool and have lots of questions and are always very impressed. But they also do not understand the very long delays and they lose interest very quickly. It just kills our great sport. And finally, is there really a need for crew chiefs to walk the entire course. I realize its somewhat important, but its really out of hand that anyone remotely associated with a nitro team walks the course. All they are doing is getting in the way of the cleanup crews. Maybe allow 1 member per car and limit it to 100 feet out or so. They cleaned up the Novelli disaster without any help of the crew chiefs and the next pass was Hot Rods 3.88 @ 310. They don't need your help or blessing to get the track back into great shape. Congrats to the Safety Safari on a job well done!

Friday PRO session. Grade D-.
Saturday evening PRO session. Grade A-.

Many great things going on, but we need to keep making this a great experience for the customer.

Just my 2 cents (maybe a nickels worth)

What do you think?

OK, my 2 cents about Indy. New grandstands are great (long overdue). Finally a better way for the corporate customers (and all fans) and their guests to have a quality seat just minutes from the Nitro pits. Grade A+.

Speaker (PA) and sound system are just awful.

The drag race fan sits through a whole lot of nothing. Maybe live reports from the pits of the guys who just ran and the problems they had during the run, with video of the repairs in action, etc and better replays.

What do you think?

Is there a good PA system anywhere? It does suck.. your either right in front of those megaphones and get blasted out, or you can't hear them

The video board thing you got a great point. They do the top end interviews live, usually by the time they get out of the car and interview, the next pair is doing the burnout. Maybe tape delay them a bit and start them AS SOON as the following pair shut down at the top end. Then at least theres a change you can hear the interview. And it would be nice to see the interview too.

Also during the oil down, they go immediately into a 20 minute non stop audio commercial. Why not do (like you said) live (or taped) reports from the pits, repairs and updates... anything but the non stop commercial which has ZERO entertainment value (but $$ value for NHRA I would guess).

WRT the PA systems, just don't rely on it. I use AM/FM headsets, like the Peltor Worktunes (check Amazon), and they not only provide hearing protection, but you can hear every word of the PA.

As for downtime, <insert Chris's standard speech here>, you are so right. We need informative stuff on the video screens, not ads and definitely not the t-shirt clowns.

How about a bunch of prerecorded videos explaining how all this stuff works: how does the timing system work, what are the 60+ different classes of NHRA, how does the clutch system in a nitro car work, what are all the people looking at the track (like Lanny McGlizzy (sp?), the "track whisperer" doing when they're out there, various rules (like the first or worst rules), how do they decide run order, how do the Super classes work, what the heck is the CIC in Comp, etc., etc. I could rattle off 20-30 of these with specific detail in 5 minutes. I'm sure everyone here could.

There'd be a one-time cost to produce them, then they could run them forever. Don't know how many of you have brought newbies to the track, but this would help immensely to broaden the sport's appeal.

I had an awesome time at Indy on Saturday. The new east side stands are great ( my seats are on the west side ) .The long oil down / clean-up sucked for sure ! My big gripe about Indy is the damn bridge.....sure it's historic....but cant we have a tunnel or something to get fans from one side of the track to the other a bit easier and faster ? Keep the bridge....add a tunnel !

I had an awesome time at Indy on Saturday. The new east side stands are great ( my seats are on the west side ) .The long oil down / clean-up sucked for sure ! My big gripe about Indy is the damn bridge.....sure it's historic....but cant we have a tunnel or something to get fans from one side of the track to the other a bit easier and faster ? Keep the bridge....add a tunnel !

Or at least make the bridge bigger/wider with better air flow!

Last edited:
Is there a good PA system anywhere? It does suck.. your either right in front of those megaphones and get blasted out, or you can't hear them

The Strip at LVMS has one of the better speaker systems. The east side at Indy sucks, they have the old megaphone style speakers like at Brainerd. The Indy west side I thought was ok.

While the new east side grandstands are an improvement, there's less leg room than on the west side because it seems they made the stands so steep to provide a better view, they skimped on the leg room. I'm not a very tall person, but even I thought the east side could use about a foot more of space between the rows.

One thing Ive never liked about Indy is it draws Fuel cars that attend 5-6 races a year or less! And because of that the oildowns are epidemic! I think Luigi Novelli destroyed the Friday night session, than come Saturday Pat Dakin put on a Safety safari clinic! Flame me all you want, but that does Not sell tickets! However the Alky, Pro mod and Comp racing has been excellent!

One thing Ive never liked about Indy is it draws Fuel cars that attend 5-6 races a year or less! And because of that the oildowns are epidemic! I think Luigi Novelli destroyed the Friday night session, than come Saturday Pat Dakin put on a Safety safari clinic! Flame me all you want, but that does Not sell tickets! However the Alky, Pro mod and Comp racing has been excellent!

So what?

A pre-Indy requirement of "no oildowns lately" in case people might get bored???

I am puzzled about the oildowns...that is drag racing.

On 91-92 John Force accounted for the most amount of oil downs and it got to the point NHRA had to discuss the situation w/ him--and they fixed their problem.

So Luigi N oild down the track and most gripe---many oil the track, it is part of the experience and the real fans understand it comes w/ the territory.

The US Nationals and the track is very nice and no compaints here!

The new stands are nice but short on leg room, many cut legs on it.

I have been happy that there has been GA seating. I was worried it would be very limited but its been good so far. We'll see tomorrow if they move it.

A wide bridge is most needed, walking across the lanes there is a death defying experience with all the scooters and bikes

More can go wrong then right with the fuel cars. Oil downs will happen, that is why we have an oil down rule. Get over it.

My home track is the Strip at LVMS, so I pretty much think every other track on the circuit is a dump because I have been spoiled by the Strip.

My biggest complaint about Indy is the bridge ... it sucks trying to get from one side of the track to the other. If history is why you won't knock it down, build another one right next to it. There is plenty of room, it is much cheaper than a tunnel and there would be no adverse affect on the racing surface (tracks with tunnels under them get bumps).

PA systems suck at all tracks, do you really expect to hear it over a burnout or pass?

I agree about the video screen, the NHRA ALWAYS picks the worst possible location for the screen. It's like they think to themselves "Where can we put this so only half the folks can see it?" The location of the screen in Vegas is even worse than Indy.

I went GA Fri-Mon and never had aproblem finding a seat, and they are much improved over previous years at Indy.

I brought several first-timers with me, and they were all duly impressed and all claim they will be back next year.

As for downtime, <insert Chris's standard speech here>, you are so right. We need informative stuff on the video screens, not ads and definitely not the t-shirt clowns.

How about a bunch of prerecorded videos explaining how all this stuff works: how does the timing system work, what are the 60+ different classes of NHRA, how does the clutch system in a nitro car work, what are all the people looking at the track (like Lanny McGlizzy (sp?), the "track whisperer" doing when they're out there, various rules (like the first or worst rules), how do they decide run order, how do the Super classes work, what the heck is the CIC in Comp, etc., etc. I could rattle off 20-30 of these with specific detail in 5 minutes. I'm sure everyone here could.

There'd be a one-time cost to produce them, then they could run them forever. Don't know how many of you have brought newbies to the track, but this would help immensely to broaden the sport's appeal.

Even with the "one time cost" to produce them, they wouldn't generate any income. Period. I'll lay odds that's the deciding factor.

The ads and the tshirt bafoons (Why is it they assome we're not having "fun" unless we're shirtless, ala "COPS", drunk, and bellowing at the top of our lungs???) :confused: produce paid income, hence, that's all we'll see.

Even with the "one time cost" to produce them, they wouldn't generate any income. Period. I'll lay odds that's the deciding factor.

I respectfully disagree. If you teach the newbies about the sport, the sport will grow. It will make the show more understandable, more enjoyable, and encourage more repeat visitors, more fans watching TV, more people buying T-Shirts instead of getting them for free from the clowns.

A rising tide raises all boats.

NHRA needs to quit giving free tickets to drag racers and drag racing fans. They need to give all the free tickets to people who otherwise wouldn't be there...pass them out at schools and churches etc. All my friends who would have 100% bought tickets and been there regardless got free passes, and that drives the cost of the tickets for everyone else. This was the first time in several years that I have paid for a ticket, and I will be there no matter what the price is. However, just for comparison it costs me about $250 for me and my wife to go to the Indy 500, practice, qualifying etc and I have the best seats in the house and have been sitting in them since I was 4 years old.

This weekend I spent around $600 and my wife went only on Sat night. I live a few miles from the track. It isn't just the cost of tickets that NHRA needs to look at when they wonder why people can't afford to bring their families out here. They give handfuls of tickets to die hard drag racing fans, yet make people who could become new fans spend the big $. It sounds backwards but sheesh...Business 101

Sat on both sides of the track and when on the tower side, we couldn't see the screen so we moved.

I have always wondered why they don't have more screens. In any arena or ballpark I go to I can always see the screens. They should add more.

As for videos, it would make be wise to do and income generating could happen.

Either have pro drivers due to the videos, that would then show them in their sponsor colors, giving their sponsor more viewage time OR sell that talk time.

Have it be the <insert company name> track facts,
Insider info brought to you by ___________

call it whatever they want but it could work. Either that or I am going to start sending a bill for all the educating I do at every race I go to for all the newbies which are there (ok actually I don't mind that):D

They used to have "Did you know" or "now you know" video segments on the screen when it was WinstonVision ... I seem to recall everyone complaining about seeing the same segments during the course of the weekend and at multiple national events every year.

Joe, Dakin had a complete ignition failure, it could've happen to anyone. How did they do the rest of the weekend?

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back