Typical Race fans? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
While in Chicago I caught up with a friend of mine and Greg's named Stefanie. She goes to quite a few races herself, anyway she's from Springfield, IL where Tim Wilkerson's from. She told me all of a sudden the town of Springfield is on the Wilkerson Bandwagon! People making comments on how they've known Tim for 20 years kind of stuff. It's amazing how after a couple of wins your fans come out of the shadows!:rolleyes:

Boy, I am proud to say I'm not that type of "fair weather" fan--heck, I've been picking Wilk to win in PJs Pick the winners contest for uh, well...um, two weeks now....:eek:

Everyone loves a winner. In my book, even when he was struggling the last coupla years, the Wilkersons were still winners. A couple of wins and the top of the points have just let the rest of the world catch on ....

it just like the major stick and ball sports. When the teams aren't doing well many fans go underground but once they start winning everyone gets the fever.

I love that Wilkerson is in the points lead but that all goes bye bye at a certain part of the season because of the countdown crap!

I wonder what people will think of the countdown if Wilkerson runs well most of the season but stumble at key points and gets robbed?
This is just hypothetical. I would love to see him win the whole enchilada!

While in Chicago I caught up with a friend of mine and Greg's named Stefanie. She goes to quite a few races herself, anyway she's from Springfield, IL where Tim Wilkerson's from. She told me all of a sudden the town of Springfield is on the Wilkerson Bandwagon! People making comments on how they've known Tim for 20 years kind of stuff. It's amazing how after a couple of wins your fans come out of the shadows!:rolleyes:

A lot of times that happens when someone is all of a sudden in the spotlight. People lose track of them over the years and then all of a sudden when there is focus on them it's like "oh yeah, I remember that guy. We used to shoot pool together"! LOL. Sometimes it's bandwagon jumping. Sometimes it's just a reminder of someone you had forgotten about.

Joe, Stefanie is right, but believe me, there were alot of Wilk supporters behind him when he was not the points leader etc. but never the less glad that some others have opened there eyes up, and gave Tim credit where it is deserved, Tim was never one to blow his own horn, and some of us WIlky Warriors were always upset beause he did not get the press, tv etc. so now that he is doing so GREAT, he is getting the attention, and his fans are truly enjoying it, and can not wait to see him on WIND TUNNEL THIS SUNDAY!!!

reminds me of the scene around here in october with colorado rockies hysteria...couldn't go 10 feet with out seeing someone in their apparel...and it was just a few months prior that you'd get ridiculed for wearing the stuff:D

I'll never forget working at the top end at Indy in 2000. I heard people yelling "TIMMY!", as in Timmy from South Park. I guess it was all the Wilk's Warriors screaming whenever he made a pass!

I'm glad to see him get some kudos..he certainly deserves it.

Hey, they even had Tim Wilkerson day..that's awesome.

I grew up down in the Springfield area, even raced at one of the tracks he started at in Havana(or so I'm told..) I've been a fan for since he pretty much started in Nitro Funny car. Largely due to that he was from close to where I was from, which I thought was cool. After struggling the last few years, it's great to see him doing so well. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is sick of me talking about every race weekend.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back