TSR racing changes (4 Viewers)

StarLink Now $299

wonder if the driver of the car that has fallen from 1st to 7th will also not be in the car in vegas?

I understand completely how Tony is looking at this, and how driven he is, but I also think he keeps comparing himself to every way 2023 was for Leah. The weight vs. moveable options vs. what is now fixed I would think completely changed Neil's tune dramatically. The only sure answer would have been if Leah was in the car this season and to see what would have happened with the tuneup. I feel Tony as driver is doing a good job and replacing tuners may get the ball rolling faster, but Neil is getting a bad deal if he's let go.

There are a handful of under performing cars (just my opinion) week after week. The problem is, the availability of good crew chief’s out there. And that’s only going to get worse with more cars coming in eventually. Elite with 1-2 cars, Ron Capps will need to have his TF team put together by this time next year (if not sooner) and others.

Can you hire a crew chief out from under a solid team?? Do you hire a current young co-crew chief and be patient enough to go through the process of them hopefully building a good combination sooner than later?
As the number of teams shrunk into and out of Covid, and DSR went from 8 teams to zero, a lot of teams doubled up, or even before that. Out work guys found homes as a “CO’s”. Todd Smith and Jon O. on JR Todd’s car. They are both capable of running their own car. Aaron Brooks and Todd Okuhara have both run their own cars. In both cases they seem to work well together, but could you steal one away? Those are just 2 examples.

How about part time guys like a Mike Kern? Zizzo shows up for what, 5 races and qualifies # 1 at 2 of them? Would have been 3 if not for a blower belt coming off at Indy? Quite honestly it really makes the other teams look bad! Would he even be interested in giving it a shot?? Could that magic transfer from a 5 race schedule to a 20+ race schedule?

Sorry for the long post. I do expect changes to be made for a lot of teams heading into pre-season testing in 2025.

Last edited:
There are a handful of under performing cars (just my opinion) week after week. The problem is, the availability of good crew chief’s out there. And that’s only going to get worse with more cars coming in eventually. Elite with 1-2 cars, Ron Capps will need to have his TF team put together by this time next year (if not sooner) and others.

Can you hire a crew chief out from under a solid team?? Do you hire a current young co-crew chief and be patient enough to go through the process of them hopefully building a good combination sooner than later?
As the number of teams shrunk into and out of Covid, and DSR went from 8 teams to zero, a lot of teams doubled up, or even before that. Out work guys found homes as a “CO’s”. Todd Smith and Jon O. on JR Todd’s car. They are both capable of running their own car. Aaron Brooks and Todd Okuhara have both run their own cars. In both cases they seem to work well together, but could you steal one away? Those are just 2 examples.

How about part time guys like a Mike Kern? Zizzo shows up for what, 5 races and qualifies # 1 at 2 of them? Would have been 3 if not for a blower belt coming off at Indy? Quite honestly it really makes the other teams look bad! Would he even be interested in giving it a shot?? Could that magic transfer from a 5 race schedule to a 20+ race schedule?

Sorry for the long post. I do expect changes to be made for a lot of teams heading into pre-season testing in 2025.
It wasn’t that long ago that some people on this forum were predicting the end of nhra. Now, we have a bunch of new cars coming in and there is a shortage of crew chiefs 😊😂

Tony probably has over 100 passes in this car now which is what's fueling his expectations of better performance than the car has produced so far. Then again the guru of top fuel Allen Johnson has done this for more years than I can remember and his tune up for the last month and a half has produced a whole lot of300 foot tire smoke and a DNQ at the biggest race of the year. It must be a lot harder to do than it looks and It all makes Jimmy Prock look like an absolute certified genius.

I do know that is when he started his main CC title. I was wondering too. Probably with Tom and/or well versed from Tom.

Tony probably has over 100 passes in this car now which is what's fueling his expectations of better performance than the car has produced so far. Then again the guru of top fuel Allen Johnson has done this for more years than I can remember and his tune up for the last month and a half has produced a whole lot of300 foot tire smoke and a DNQ at the biggest race of the year. It must be a lot harder to do than it looks and It all makes Jimmy Prock look like an absolute certified genius.
The wheels could be spinning, if I were Tony I'd be thinking how can I hire Alan Johnson! Look at his record 13 championships.

Looks pretty obvious that there will be changes on the Top Fuel team.

It must be very frustrating for Tony, but I'm sure Neil didn't forget how to tune a fuel car. Same with Grubnic. And AJ has already been mentioned. A Championship for AJ last year, not so much this year with Doug. You're probably better off staying with who you have, and trying to find-tune the personnel. At least for Tony, his FC is doing very well, and could well get another Championship.

I see AJ ready to move on (Husen stays), TSR or possible reunion with Schumacher or even for Ida. Or maybe the Elite dragster for E, if that really comes down.
Mac Savage is ready to step up
Wendland has been awesome, hot commodity
Wonder if Tobler would come back full time
Ace Manzo would be interesting

Couldn't agree more about how hard this thing called top fuel is at the moment. What Tony said was hopefully purely out of frustration and maybe unrealistic expectation. He has to stop thinking that the performance of the car will be a continuation of last year. He is a pretty new driver. And top fuel is really tough now. I think he is doing great. Next year could be a stellar season for Tony. He's a really fast learner, but it takes a long time to get enough experience to" kind of "handle these cars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back