Traction Control - a safety enhancement? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Nitro Member
Does anyone think it might be time for PRO and NHRA to do some hurry-up investigation of traction control?
Given the tendency of fuel cars (maybe worse in Alky classes?) to "wad-up" the tires and the possibility of chronic injury from no-contact "bell rung" injuries, couldn't traction control lessen the likelihood of this kind of "accident".

Disclaimer (question): I have only a vague idea of how traction control can work. If it's an electronic engine governor-like control, wouldn't it be relatively easy (read-low cost) to implement? If electro-mechanical (like ABS?), perhaps more of a challenge?
DISCUSS!

Could be that information from any "black box" item, be it traction control or even "flight data recorders" will be used to make the cars even quicker...

Billy Meyer had a very simple traction control system way back in 1984. :rolleyes:

He had a button on the steering wheel that he could push, that would pulsate the rear brakes if he felt it shake or start to come loose.

Another thing, shake can usually go back to low driveshaft speed, and thus, low wheel speed. If you have it set up to take power away, it might make it worse.

I say leave it alone. If it shakes ,lift, pedal, or short shift (TA)
I know, easier said then done.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back