TORRENCE IS KING OF THE MOUNTAIN AGAIN (1 Viewer)

Torrence logo.jpg

World Champ Wins Dodge Mile-High Nationals for Second Straight Time
DENVER, Colo. – Steve Torrence took the first step toward joining a select group of Top Fuel drivers who have swept the three races comprising the NHRA tour’s Western Swing Sunday when he drove his Capco Contractors dragster past rookie Joey Haas to win the Dodge Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway.
Denver 2.jpg

It was the 38-year-old Texan’s fifth victory in eight races this season and it propelled him to a 307-point lead over Antron Brown with just five races remaining before the Camping World points are adjusted for the start of the Countdown to the 2021 Championship.
Despite the fact that he easily won the final, Torrence admitted to having become one of the rookie’s biggest fans during his unlikely march to the money round.
“I was pulling for him all day,” said the three-time reigning World Champion, “and I know there were a lot of people hoping he could get past us in the final. That’s a guy with a lot of heart and I hope I get to race him a lot more. I have complete respect for that whole (Terry) Totten team. It was fun to watch them.
“But these Capco Boys are just so bad to the bone,” Torrence continued. “Those guys were having one of those races where it’s just your day and, after they got past Clay (Millican), I was a little concerned. But Richard Hogan and Bobby Lagana, my whole team, they just did what they do and fortunately I was able to do my job, too.”
It was a very workmanlike victory for the talented Texan who took out Rob Passey in round one, advanced via a bye in the quarterfinals and turned back Mike Salinas in the semifinals in the only match in which he was seriously challenged.
“It was great to get back on the mountain,” Torrence said. “We didn’t get to race here last year and we really missed it. These fans energize you. We definitely missed that during the pandemic.”
It was Torrence’s 45th career victory and his third at Bandimere Speedway, his second in succession. He and his Capco team now move on to Sonoma, Calif., for this week’s Sonoma Nationals where he hopes to keep alive his bid to join the company of Joe Amato, Larry Dixon, Cory McClenathan, Antron Brown and Tony Schumacher as Top Fuel drivers who have swept the Western Swing.

NHRA CAMPING WORLD TOUR Championship Points
(After 8 of 20 scheduled events)

TOP FUEL
1. Steve Torrence, Kilgore, Texas, Capco Contractors dragster 858
2. Antron Brown, Pittsboro, Ind., Matco Tools dragster 551
3. Brittany Force, Yorba Linda, Calif., Monster Energy/FLAV-R-PAC dragster 505
4. Billy Torrence, Kilgore, Texas, Capco Contractors dragster 448
5. Shawn Langdon, Indianapolis, Ind., DHL/Kalitta Air dragster 418
6. Mike Salinas, San Jose, Calif., Scrappers Racing dragster 395
7. Doug Kalitta, Ann Arbor, Mich., Mac Tools/Mobil 1 dragster 367
8. Leah Pruett, Avon, Ind., MOPAR/Pennzoil/Okuma dragster 362
9. Justin Ashley, Plainview, N.Y., Strutmasters/GuardLab dragster 337
10. Clay Millican, Drummonds, Tenn., Parts Plus dragster 328

CAPCO CONTRACTORS race summary
41st Dodge Mile-High Nationals

Qualifying – Steve Torrence, No. 2 at 3.778 seconds, 327.11 miles per hour.
Qualifying bonus points – 8 total, 3 for quickest run in Q1 and Q2; 2 for second quickest run in Q3.
Round 1 – S. Torrence, 3.855, 322.58 mph, def. Rob Passey, 5.421, 133.67 mph.
Round 2 – S. Torrence, 3.876, 321.35 mph, advanced on earned bye run.
Semifinals – S. Torrence, 3.843, 321.42 mph, def. Mike Salinas, 3.854, 320.13 mph.
FINAL – Steve Torrence, 3.860, 320.36 mph, def. Joey Haas, 4.142, 262.08 mph.

Next Scheduled
CAMPING WORLD TOUR Event:
33rd NHRA Sonoma Nationals
July 25, 2021
Sonoma Raceway
Sonoma, Calif.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back