Top Dragster at FIRP! (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Wow! 67 cars - friends and customers Denny Hills and Paul Gladden are P1 and P2. Two completely different engine ideas on how to go really fast - Denny with the High Helix blown motor and Paul with a huge "Sonny" Mountain Motor!
NASCAR will have to wait - this is gonna be some serious racing - :eek:

Awesome turn out- the indication is that people have gone beyond S/C and S/E and are looking for a bigger challenge.

Once again IHRA has shown the way for its big brother. Let's hope that IHRA 8 car fields won't be the pattern for NHRA. Because of the economy and dearth of sponsors I hope before the season ends the fuel pro categories won't be down to IHRA size!

What bad economy? If you get over 60 cars in a class where you have to go faster than 8 seconds to get I'd say that all's well!

What's amazing is how it's gonna take a 7.30 to get into a 48 car field!!!:eek: What's even more amazing is how close these guys will come to predicting their ET's in 1st round! Gotta love the weather stations of today! But, no matter what "TRICK" set up your running, nothing beats good old fashion RUN DATA! I'd love to see Mr. MTS Rodger Comstock win this one, but my money is on Del Cox Jr....That car just flat out Performs!...and he ain't that bad of a driver either!;)

I guess i won't be running in this class to soon. Check this out from the D4 Top Dragster class...

1 473D Joe Collier, Clyde TX, Mullis-Chevy 6.165 221.13 221.13

Holy Cow! Good luck dialiing that in. How would it feel to have a car that runs 2 hundo and give up 21 MPH... :eek:

What's amazing is how it's gonna take a 7.30 to get into a 48 car field!!!:eek: What's even more amazing is how close these guys will come to predicting their ET's in 1st round! Gotta love the weather stations of today! But, no matter what "TRICK" set up your running, nothing beats good old fashion RUN DATA! I'd love to see Mr. MTS Rodger Comstock win this one, but my money is on Del Cox Jr....That car just flat out Performs!...and he ain't that bad of a driver either!;)

Well . . . Carolyn Hills is way back at P11. If you haven't met the Hills - they are a great family. Too many friends and customers involved in this - don't know who to root for! It's gonna be really good racing!

LOL I am building a new dragster right now and was just about to order engine parts on Monday.LOL then I looked at the list and as of now it's at 7.44 LOL
Gonna make a couple changes now.LOL thank God for N2O :D I thought it would take 50s at worst this year. ( Saw some races only needin 80s last year)
I am glad to see such a turn out though. I may not be able to qualify in the future but I'm gonna enjoy the class while I can At the closer divisional and national opens. But I still gotta keep my car a bracket car I can put 300 plus runs a year on. My buddy and I were talking about just that. Almost gonna need a separate car/engine for TD and one to bracket race. LOL Cool stuff though. I can't wait to see it get faster.It will be good watchin:eek: This is the best thing Div 7 has done for the divisional races in a long time IMO by adding TD/ TS.

The problem with TD now is that IHRA went to a 32 car field so to make sure you get in the field everyone bougth bigger engines, hooked up nitrous or more nitrous, and the prices have skyrocketed. The no 1 qualifier at the IHRA Bradenton race a few weeks ago, 5.90 something at 230 mph. Thats insane.

Though I will say I enjoy top dragster alot. I wish NHRA would get rid of SC and SG and have TD and TS. By the way, in TS at Div 4 Belle Rose this weekend, Earl Folse is No 1 at a 6.57 211.49.

I think Top Dragster and Sportsman would be far more entertaining to watch for the casual spectator. Not just the quicker times, but none of that throttle stop stuff very few know anything about.

Now that we are seeing the escalation of ET's and MPH for both TD [and likely TS soon], the next big issue for existing sportsman trying to make the move to these classes will be getting their race cars certified for Advanced ET [7.49 and quicker].

For some, they bought cars already meeting the standard, for others expensive upgrades for new pipe, etc.

Being the cynic that I am: How long before new SFI "safety" upgrades? :confused::D:confused::D

Last edited:
The problem with TD now is that IHRA went to a 32 car field so to make sure you get in the field everyone bougth bigger engines, hooked up nitrous or more nitrous, and the prices have skyrocketed. The no 1 qualifier at the IHRA Bradenton race a few weeks ago, 5.90 something at 230 mph. Thats insane.

IHRA was inclined to go with an all run field, more entry money, but actually asked the racers what they would prefer and the 32 car qualified field was the overwhelming winner. It should make for some wild qualifying sessions with bumping just like the pro classes. I remember before they went to 48 cars, at tracks like Norwalk where you would have racers running out and putting new nitrous systems on their cars just to try and make the field.

I guess i won't be running in this class to soon. Check this out from the D4 Top Dragster class...

1 473D Joe Collier, Clyde TX, Mullis-Chevy 6.165 221.13 221.13

Holy Cow! Good luck dialiing that in. How would it feel to have a car that runs 2 hundo and give up 21 MPH... :eek:

i've got 3 words for this guy.... "WAMP...WAMP.....WAMP....!" I've always believed that it was easier to be the guy coming up on the other car, but THAT'S JUST CRAZY FAST!!!! I've come up on a guy who was running mid 11's at 110 and I was in a 160mph dragster....at 1000' I was saying..(i'm not gonna catch him:()...at 1200' I was like..(Well maybe...:confused:) at 1321' I was saying....(F#$K!:eek:)

I say he's gonna dial in a 6.200 for 1st round and try to drive the Stripe!!! ;-)

IHRA was inclined to go with an all run field, more entry money, but actually asked the racers what they would prefer and the 32 car qualified field was the overwhelming winner. It should make for some wild qualifying sessions with bumping just like the pro classes. I remember before they went to 48 cars, at tracks like Norwalk where you would have racers running out and putting new nitrous systems on their cars just to try and make the field.

Cubic $$$'s Aaron!!! Gotta love it! I wonder how many have "TIPPED THE BROWN CAN" who run Alcohol to pick up that extra few HUN???

Which I think IHRA made up, go ask any TD driver at the next event your at. 95% I'm sure will tell you they'd rather either have open fields or 48 car fields atleast. Especially if you ask the regular joe's who run low 7's. Now ask the really fast guys in the low to mid 6's and there going to say 32 car fields b/c they dont have to spend any more money to get there and it cuts half there competition out.

Which I think IHRA made up, go ask any TD driver at the next event your at. 95% I'm sure will tell you they'd rather either have open fields or 48 car fields atleast. Especially if you ask the regular joe's who run low 7's. Now ask the really fast guys in the low to mid 6's and there going to say 32 car fields b/c they dont have to spend any more money to get there and it cuts half there competition out.

Why would they make up something that cost them money - less entry fees. Check out Promodsource.com's Top Sportsman thread when the racers were hashing this issue out. A lot of interesting points of view and some heated debate from those who race in these classes.

i've got 3 words for this guy.... "WAMP...WAMP.....WAMP....!" I've always believed that it was easier to be the guy coming up on the other car, but THAT'S JUST CRAZY FAST!!!! I've come up on a guy who was running mid 11's at 110 and I was in a 160mph dragster....at 1000' I was saying..(i'm not gonna catch him:()...at 1200' I was like..(Well maybe...:confused:) at 1321' I was saying....(F#$K!:eek:)

I say he's gonna dial in a 6.200 for 1st round and try to drive the Stripe!!! ;-)
That's why I'd alway try to qualify in the top of the bottom half of the field... I love racing those crazy fast cars because their consistency is crap. Where as my little SBC can run 7.57-7.58 almost every pass.

But it looks like I'll be sticking strictly to NorCal Top Dragster and brackets... I don't want to get into the money wars. They'll be crazy to not make it a 64 car field before long.

BTW...

The smart money should be on Jess Nelson at #27, Steve Casner at #31, and Stan Leerkamp at #39.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back