This Really Sucks!!! (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

Bob

Nitro Member
I just read an article written by Rob Geiger. The following is a quote from an interview with Tony Pedregon.

"We didn't qualify so well, but it really worked out because I looked at the pairings this morning and thought we really had a chance to make a move today. To go from fifth to first in one day under this new format is exciting."

I'm not knocking Tony, he's come up the hard way. I'm knocking the system. It's just not right.

I'm not knocking Tony, he's come up the hard way. I'm knocking the system. It's just not right.

PJ................................Oh, PeeeeeeeJay! LMMFAO!!!

I bet your head is about to explode by now, huh?! I'm not doggin' ya'. I'm not a huge fan of the new format either, but I admire your passion about it.

Sean D

Bob

You are SO RIGHT!! the new system Just plain SUCKS I'm not sure but think Ron Capps had a good lead before.. That he "EARNED" now under this system he can lose it all because of 2 or 3 bad races at the "WRONG" time of the year..

As you said nothing against Tony.. but he stepped in SH** at the right time IF he wins... where was he before the welfare system put him in a winning position ?

Force is out so Capps is in with Gary Scelzi right on his tail. Where did Scelzi come from?

Here's my 0.02 on this point (and I'm both a Capps fan and a TPed fan):

I think it's pretty nice for TPed that due to a combination of his good luck and others' bad luck that he's now 1st in the Countdown. I think it's also kind of a sucky way to move up, but there is always going to be luck in ANY championship in ANY sport. TPed didn't exactly come from the total wilderness this year - he did make it into the top 8 with good strong, consistent runs and a win or two. Capps is having his usual mid-late season slump, and the Countdown exacts a much bigger penalty for that sort of thing. I hope the Brut guys can get it together and finally get it this year but I won't be too upset if TPed wins it instead.

Congrats to Tony.... he's is getting full benifit of this pathedic points series... glad some one likes it.....

not a knock on Tony or anyone in the points deal.. but welcome to the new world order way if thinking... full rewards for minimal effort...

and to think all of this could have been prevented if the first tree hugging idiot would have been shot for saving that first tree....lol.

Billy

Congrats to Tony.... he's is getting full benifit of this pathedic points series... glad some one likes it.....

not a knock on Tony or anyone in the points deal.. but welcome to the new world order way if thinking... full rewards for minimal effort...

and to think all of this could have been prevented if the first tree hugging idiot would have been shot for saving that first tree....lol.

Billy

I disagree... a little.

To me it's not full rewards for minimal effort, but it is full rewards for minimal consistency and/or performance. Dickie, Tony & the whole 'Q' team have certainly put forth a lot of effort this year, just like everyone else - but they haven't been consistent until now... maybe. It may change again this weekend.

My point is that effort has never come into question, but performance has & I still do not like the new system.

I personally won't consider the new point system champion the champ.
I will wait to see someone do the old system breakdown and see what that says is the champion. :rolleyes:
Maybe we should have T-shirts made up that say the "Real Champion Is" and wear them at the Winternationals what do you think?
PJ what do you say? ;)

I personally won't consider the new point system champion the champ.
I will wait to see someone do the old system breakdown and see what that says is the champion. :rolleyes:
Maybe we should have T-shirts made up that say the "Real Champion Is" and wear them at the Winternationals what do you think?
PJ what do you say? ;)

I think you guys mean the "old system" champion. The real champion is the one they give the trophy to at the end of the year, regardless how they decide it.
The thing is that in funny car, at least, there's no clear-cut guy who you can say "would have been champ under the old system." Yes, Capps had a big lead early, but I think under the old system, with his second-half struggles (that may have because they were in sort of testing mode with their Countdown spot already clinched), Hight slipped past him. Under the old system, it looks like it would be a two-car battle over the final two races as opposed to the four-car battle we are going to see. Who would be the "True Champion" as u guys say it? There's no way to know for sure.
I think what TPed is doing is no different than what the Rockies are doing in MLB. Or what my college basketball team did in 1978. We were a .500 team during the regular season and finished fourth in the conference. But we qualified for the conference tournament, which we won, earning an NCAA bid, then we advanced to the Elite 8.

I just wish more of the drivers would speak their mind like Rod Fuller has,he has been unhappy with this just like all of us.

I think you guys mean the "old system" champion. The real champion is the one they give the trophy to at the end of the year, regardless how they decide it.
The thing is that in funny car, at least, there's no clear-cut guy who you can say "would have been champ under the old system." Yes, Capps had a big lead early, but I think under the old system, with his second-half struggles (that may have because they were in sort of testing mode with their Countdown spot already clinched), Hight slipped past him. Under the old system, it looks like it would be a two-car battle over the final two races as opposed to the four-car battle we are going to see. Who would be the "True Champion" as u guys say it? There's no way to know for sure.
I think what TPed is doing is no different than what the Rockies are doing in MLB. Or what my college basketball team did in 1978. We were a .500 team during the regular season and finished fourth in the conference. But we qualified for the conference tournament, which we won, earning an NCAA bid, then we advanced to the Elite 8.

I don't care if one team ran away with it that would tell me that they deserved it and the other teams need to step up!
Pedregon wouldn't be in the running under the old points system.
I don't care who they give the trophy to it's a fabricated champion end of story! :cool:

I just wish more of the drivers would speak their mind like Rod Fuller has,he has been unhappy with this just like all of us.

I agree 100% Scott!
Hopefully HD partners, if the deal goes through, they will revert back to old point system which crowned the team that dominated from start to finish that is old school racing they way it was meant to be.
Anybody who likes the new system just likes drama.
Look at last years T/F final that was real drama not fabricated!!!!

I don't care if one team ran away with it that would tell me that they deserved it and the other teams need to step up!
Pedregon wouldn't be in the running under the old points system.
I don't care who they give the trophy to it's a fabricated champion end of story! :cool:

Bullseye, Bob. I agree with every word. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Glendora Gang decided, "Well, NASCAR's bigger than we can ever hope to be, and they have the Chase, so instead of promoting NHRA by things such as driver commercials and national event tv spots ASIDE from a race already being broadcast, we'll cook up the Countdown and take a (small) chunk of exposure away from them".

I just read an article written by Rob Geiger. The following is a quote from an interview with Tony Pedregon.

"We didn't qualify so well, but it really worked out because I looked at the pairings this morning and thought we really had a chance to make a move today. To go from fifth to first in one day under this new format is exciting."

And what can you do about it??? NOTHING!! Just in case you have not noticed you are in the minority on this subject. If you look at the total number of NHRA members and the number of people who signed the anti-countdown petition, it is obvious more people are willing to give it a chance before downing the program like some of you on here and elsewhere. Everyone needs to get over it, because your whining and crying will not change a damn thing. If you are so against the countdown, stop watching the races and start watching some other form of racing. As someone else here has said, no matter what some of you think or say, the real champions this year are those who will collect the trophy, the cash, and have the #1 on their cars next year!!. Get over it and move on!

And what can you do about it??? NOTHING!! Just in case you have not noticed you are in the minority on this subject. If you look at the total number of NHRA members and the number of people who signed the anti-countdown petition, it is obvious more people are willing to give it a chance before downing the program like some of you on here and elsewhere. Everyone needs to get over it, because your whining and crying will not change a damn thing. If you are so against the countdown, stop watching the races and start watching some other form of racing. As someone else here has said, no matter what some of you think or say, the real champions this year are those who will collect the trophy, the cash, and have the #1 on their cars next year!!. Get over it and move on!

No corperate brown nosers here Paul! ;)
This is a forum we can voice our opinion anyway we choose if you don't like it then don't post on this thread!:cool:

I have been watching Drag Racing since the late 60's I DON"T LIKE THIS FABRICATED CHAMPIONSHIP B.S. so I'm voicing it in a forum!!!!

No corperate brown nosers here Paul! ;)
This is a forum we can voice our opinion anyway we choose if you don't like it then don't post on this thread!:cool:

I have been watching Drag Racing since the late 60's I DON"T LIKE THIS FABRICATED CHAMPIONSHIP B.S. so I'm voicing it in a forum!!!!

I will say it again, what can you do about it?? The sport is moving forward with or without. I know if I do not like something I will focus my attention elsewhere where I can make a difference. I guess you think championships are fabricated in baseball, football, basketball, NASCAR, Golf, etc.....?? Playoff formats are how championships are decided these days so get use to it!

I will say it again, what can you do about it?? The sport is moving forward with or without. I know if I do not like something I will focus my attention elsewhere where I can make a difference. I guess you think championships are fabricated in baseball, football, basketball, NASCAR, Golf, etc.....?? Playoff formats are how championships are decided these days so get use to it!

I'm not trying to change a thing Paul I'm simply stating my opinion!
I will continue to watch my favorite form of motorsport even though I don't like the direction it is headed with the new points system. :cool:

Playoffs are great for stick and ball sports but there is no room for them in motorsports it should be based off of perfromance from the start of the season to the end of the season.
When a guy that can go from 5th to 1st in one event really sucks in my opinion.
If teams that don't make it to the final 8 and start to not show up it's going to be a real problem the few drivers I spoke to off the record don't like it at all but those same drivers when the camera is on them tell a different story so what does that tell you.
They don't want to do anything to damage the sport which is the big picture well I'm a fan who can be more vocal and state my true feelings.

I like the definition of "playoff" in Wikipedia - originating as a way to determine a champion in sports contested by region or other barrier to head-to-head competition during the season, then adopted widely in professional sports as a way to extract more money from the fans.

All other playoff series, except NASCAR, limit participation in the playoffs to those qualifying for the playoffs and send them home when they lose preliminary playoff rounds.

Bottom line - it's not needed, and it's not a playoff.

I like the definition of "playoff" in Wikipedia - originating as a way to determine a champion in sports contested by region or other barrier to head-to-head competition during the season, then adopted widely in professional sports as a way to extract more money from the fans.

All other playoff series, except NASCAR, limit participation in the playoffs to those qualifying for the playoffs and send them home when they lose preliminary playoff rounds.

Bottom line - it's not needed, and it's not a playoff.

I had to read that 3 times to make sure I understood what they were saying. I wonder who wrote that? I like the "to extract more money" part Larry. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back