This is why I rarely watch "reality" shows (1 Viewer)

Julie7549

Nitro Member
John Force, family and film crew were in Oakdale, CA yesterday filming footage of Eric Medlin and his rodeo background. It made a big splash in my local paper (Oakdale is 15 miles away). The paper stated that Laurie and the girls at first showed up in jeans and boots. The show executives thought it would make a better story line otherwise and had them change into dresses and high heels (works for Paris Hilton, I guess!) It took four takes for the producers to get the effect they wanted when John & family showed up at the ranch in their truck. Driving Force isn't any more of a "reality" show than the others on tv. It's just another contrived tv production. Good for Force as he's probably laughing all the way to the bank. But for those that think they are really getting a glimpse into Force's personality, well I think they are getting hoodwinked!!

I guess after 3-4 takes in every scene people's emotions can look genuine. My sister used to live in Westwood, Ca. She knew a lot of people in the business and she said just about ANY reality show is scripted.

I guess after 3-4 takes in every scene people's emotions can look genuine. My sister used to live in Westwood, Ca. She knew a lot of people in the business and she said just about ANY reality show is scripted.

Yeah, in my mind the word reality should just be in quotes ("reality"). Maybe A&E is dubbing theirs "real life" as a way to NOT say reality...

very true, there isn't awhole lotta reality in a reality show.

I so think you see some sense of how people are but nowhere near a 100% clear view of someone

I always figured that if the people knew that camera's were present, there would be some 'acting' so to speak. I guess the only way to get reality is when the cameras are hidden and people are unaware of them, or something like 'Cops' where things can be very unpredictable...

The REAL reason Reality TV (or so it's called) has taken over as it has is Costs! Cost per episode are about 25-30% of what a Sitcom or Drama series cost. You don't need to hire SAG (screen actors guild) members paying those Sky-high salaries. So back 6-7 years ago when the First Survivor took the Airwaves by Storm with average Americans who are Paid very Little. The network execs. saw a Goldmine! A local here in Town that I know has worked as an extra/Actor for like 4-5 years, he's worked with some Name stars mostly as an extra but has had a couple of Speaking roles. According to the MPAA you can do 3 speaking roles before you Have to Join SAG. His fee was $1,200 plus I'm guessing like $50-60 per year afterwards. But his Daily salary min. went from like $167 per day to $800+ per day! So you can see the Huge advantages to hiring everyday Americans that aren't bound by the Unions.

I always figured that if the people knew that camera's were present, there would be some 'acting' so to speak. I guess the only way to get reality is when the cameras are hidden and people are unaware of them, or something like 'Cops' where things can be very unpredictable...

I agree I've seen "Reality" shows at the PD before I retired... some pervert had a hidden camera in the ladies changing room at his womens clothing store! Or when parents suspect a baby sitter of abusing their kid... ..Then you see the REAL thing..

Also you can find reality by looking at video's from the dash cameras on police cars during a MV Stop... There was just one on TV where an attractive woman was pulled over for DWI.. and she asked the cop "can we settle this with SEX?" :) Now thats "Reality"

Have'nt you ever heard John say during a post run interview...
Let's do that again??? It happens...
No santa? Then Splain the socks I got from him last year...:D

Oh no that really busts my bubble !
Every thing I watch on TV isn't real !
OMG I'm gonna faint!
All of the above post are true of course but if you will think back on episode one some facts are true.
John and family live separately ,and for twenty something years he was on the road racing eight months of the year, during the very time period his girls were growing up.

You take that starting premise and add no boys and wanting to hand over the reins to family members you have a reality show! Oh and along the way John suddenly becomes a hero and dad!
Word is Ashley did not like the way her dad was being portrayed , that he was not like that!

Last edited:
Santa is 6'2 155 pounds, gray hair, mutton chops, bi-focals...
And ya shoulda seen my oldest grandson's face last Christmas....

Yes people, there is a Santa :)

4 daughters

dosen't he have 4 daughters? Robert's wife??

Why is there no mention of her? I read a number of times in the captions that
Ashley is the oldest.

Yea reality TV and (reality based)

It's a show about the Fource family that happens to be played by the
people the're protraying.

I reject your reality and substitute my own....
Mythbusters...

I like the show, But hey, I grew up in SoCal so I've never been one for reality anyway... and what the heck is Survivor? Wasn't that the show that came on before CSI?

This show was marketed as a Drag racing family RS. The Posters had Ashley looking Hot in her firesuit, and now we find out they are doing an episode of Eric Medlin's rodeo exploits???? I hope the Mustard's Not off the Hotdog with this deal.....:rolleyes:

the show is good, the first few threads about it was all positive. i knew it wouldnt take long for the force dis-likers ( i always get trashed when i say haters:) ) to chime in on negative stuff. yes its reality t.v folks. but its great for our sport. i think the show is great and funny. true john force. just my 2 cents:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back