This is gonna be cool! (1 Viewer)

mgty3whlr

Nitro Member
NHRA needs to add this to the schedule beside just a one off I guess!

1651783150460.png

a 50 Ford w/ a 409 engine.......
Blasphemy !! Everyone knows a '50 Ford gets a Flatty....:)

I've seen TFM at the Texas Motorplex about 20 years ago and it was McBride vs 3 other bikes. Seems like they were running low 6s at the time and it was quite impressive to say the least. And I'm old enough to remember watching EJ Potter, the Michigan Madman, make exhibition passes with his east-west mounted small block Chevy powered bike back at the old Green Valley Raceway in Ft. Worth. Those were the days.

What are those monsters running now? 5.40's? 265? You couldn't pay me to ride one of those things. Not even for a 50 Ford w/ a 409 engine.......
Larry has run a best of 5.507 and 265.95 mph. The bike is capable of running in the 40s or better according to Larry. That bike is badass. Vantine is no slouch either. Larry and Steve recently built him a new frame and I have no doubt that will see him improve from his 5.711 best.

Blasphemy !! Everyone knows a '50 Ford gets a Flatty....:)

I've seen TFM at the Texas Motorplex about 20 years ago and it was McBride vs 3 other bikes. Seems like they were running low 6s at the time and it was quite impressive to say the least. And I'm old enough to remember watching EJ Potter, the Michigan Madman, make exhibition passes with his east-west mounted small block Chevy powered bike back at the old Green Valley Raceway in Ft. Worth. Those were the days.

Yeah, Flatheads Rule! heh When I was in high school, a friend of a friend had a 1950 +- Ford 2 door with a 409 engine. I saw him run it at San Fernando, maybe 1963? I've always thought Fordillacs were cool, so a 1949 Ford coupe with a '53 Caddy engine..... :)

I was working at M(D)IR as the starter quite a few years ago when these guys were racing each other at a motorcycle event. Quite impressive standing between them, both during the burnout and at the "hit". I plan on being in Richmond on the 14th, but the weather doesn't appear to wanna cooperate for me. Still got a few days for it to change.

Yeah, Flatheads Rule! heh When I was in high school, a friend of a friend had a 1950 +- Ford 2 door with a 409 engine. I saw him run it at San Fernando, maybe 1963? I've always thought Fordillacs were cool, so a 1949 Ford coupe with a '53 Caddy engine..... :)
There's sure nothing wrong with a 409....a socialite kid in high school whose parents bought him a new SS409 Impala would occasionally give me a ride home although I could never talk him into laying into it. About that time the Beach Boys came with their song '409'. I lusted after that car for months, swearing I'd own one someday. Nearly 60 years later and in the car business since 1973 I've never owned a car with that engine or a 348 either. Now a nice one is so stinking expensive you'll need an FHA loan to park one in your garage.

But my best friend at the time drove, you guessed it, a 1950 Ford 2 door with a little 85hp Flathead. You couldn't even hear it running.

H E R E S Y !!!!!!! This is the Beach Boys singing. Whoever put Jan & Dean in there, may they live to be my age.........
GOTCHA! You're right , it is a Beach Boy song. That proves you're not a millennial. I was playing a little game to see who remembered what surfer group sang what.
Sometimes there was a little confusion between The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean. songs. Now, let's talk about "Surf City".

Geezzzz what a bunch of old people on here, you guys are going to piss off the young ones. I will help!
Can't forget the Beach Boys drummer the late Dennis Wilson was a drag racing fan.
The AA/FD of Jim Busby with Dwight Salisbury in the seat. "Smothers Bros Beach Boys Special"
1652362948312.png

1652363087779.png

1652363155808.png

The Beach Boys at the 1969 Winternationals. The AA/FD won Best Appearing Car.

Last edited:
They're pitted across from us so I went over and talked to Steve, Larry's brother, about the bike and how it's setup. Nice guy and looking forward to seeing it run. The chain is crazy.

Attachments

• 20220512_144023.jpg
    20220512_144023.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back