The Toyota F/C before the Camry (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member

I think the new Supra F/C is sooo slick. Got me to thinking of what was before the current Camry bodies. Well, it was Jerry Toliver in the Schick F/C. Don't remember what particular Toyota the body was based on, but that was one slick lookin' body. It still looks good today. I saw the car at then Firebird, during the winter test sessions. Wonder if any of those cars still exist?

OK, that's the Official Cliff Re-post Of The Day and I've only had 1/2 cup o' joe...... heh

It was a Celica. There is one in Australia, raced by 17-year-old Madison Brown. If the wrap looks familiar, that's because her dad Ian owns and races the Boston Strangler Alcohol Funny Car, which was imported to Australia from the USA in the early nineties.

Attachments

• 20211106motorplexseasonopener-52.jpg
    20211106motorplexseasonopener-52.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20211106motorplexseasonopener-2.jpg
    20211106motorplexseasonopener-2.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Luke. Is this car on alky? In photos I've seen of the original Shick car, it had the "box" type "wing" and it almost looked like a pick-up (ute) bed. This car is slick and I hope Madison does well with it. There may be another body in UK or Europe. Saw a photo, but not sure if car is still run.

Thanks for the photos. As slick as this car is, I bet the new Supra is better in the wind tunnel.

thinking...... bruce sarver joined AJR with scelzi in early 2000's? his emoola FC was not a toyota i think? gary lost the winston TF deal, and white cap toyota started
the next year. ...... something happened with performance i think cuz seem to remember sarver taking over driving duties maybe even mid-season for gary.......i think toliver followed
with the schick toyota the following year? ....... now here's a question. after toliver, did the celica remain active in FC? i don't think so? there must have been a few year/s gap until the
camry (solara) emerged? i think first with al anabi and del driving? although scott kalitta and cruz had toyotas too around that time.

Last edited:
It was a Celica. There is one in Australia, raced by 17-year-old Madison Brown. If the wrap looks familiar, that's because her dad Ian owns and races the Boston Strangler Alcohol Funny Car, which was imported to Australia from the USA in the early nineties.
so was this the last car arnie carp ran in the states? and this was an x-nitro celica? ....... when did arnie run his few race stint with worshams in CSK blue FC? before getting out, knowing he was in
over his head. did he buy this celica body and return to TAFC in strangler livery to finish his racing career? ...... or did someone own the rites to the B.S. name and arnie had nothing to do with this?
that's cool this car is still running.

thinking...... bruce sarver joined AJR with scelzi in early 2000's? his emoola FC was not a toyota i think? gary lost the winston TF deal, and white cap toyota started
the next year. ...... something happened with performance i think cuz seem to remember sarver taking over driving duties maybe even mid-season for gary.......i think toliver followed
with the schick toyota the following year? ....... now here's a question. after toliver, did the celica remain active in FC? i don't think so? there must have been a few year/s gap until the
camry emerged? i think first with al anabi and del driving? although scott kalitta and cruz had camrys too around that time.
You are thinking of the Solara.

Thanks for posting the link Cliff. 👀 👀

Last edited:
Mike, the Strangler Celica is run by the daughter of the guy who bought the original Strangler from Karp in the 1990's & brought it to Australia. He still runs that car with the Strangler name, thus the name on the Celica. Am thinking the Celica was a former nitro car. See Luke's posts above.

Also, thanks everyone for replying to this thread. Always learn interesting stuff from the Maters. :)

I live in Santa Maria, CA. I was at Hancock College (the local community college that I attended) one day many years ago and happen to see the Schick Celica body on an open flatbed trailer being towed North to some location.

*edit: and oh by the way, I still to this day continue to purchase Schick products as a result of that sponsorship.

Last edited:
thanks ray. forgot about that. how many years did the solara run before it changed to camry?
A number of them .......

Mike, the Camry has been the car model for the last 10 years. Not sure about the Solara. I was hoping others with time or knowledge would chime in and participate.
The Emoola FC was a Firebird.

* Found it.
This will be the fourth iteration of Toyota in Funny Car following the Camry, which has been in competition since 2012, the Solara (2007 – 2011) and the Celica (2000 – 2002).

Thanks for the pics and info Luke. 👍

btw - I can't find the hood latch on the Supra. 🧐

Last edited:
...... or did someone own the rites to the B.S. name and arnie had nothing to do with this?
Bob Sweet bought the team and trademarked "Boston Strangler". The last Karp "Strangler" was the Mountain Dew car (I believe), then Sweet bought the operation and ultimately took over driving.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back