The Farewell Tour. (1 Viewer)

Eugene, do NOT sit home & watch Ice Truckers. Ya gotta go do something. Like Nostalgia racing..... heh heh I retired in 2019 at age 72. Stayed home for 2 months & was going stir crazy. Now work 3 days a week at Sky Harbor airport and love it. Go up to the garage roof & watch the planes take off & land. Almost as much fun as drag racing. Almost....

Thanks guys it has been a blast and I have met a lot of nice fans and have had the opportunity to know and work along side of an awesome group of people out here. They hit it spot on when they said drag racers are all one big family. That being said I'm still going to be a fan and throw my opinion in the ring on here just like I have always done. It just means I will have a lot more time to do it. :)

Eugene Says " It just means I will have a lot more time to do it. " You mean Slot car racing? LOL
I remember in the old days we built the chassis with piano wire. What's the modern day built with?

Eugene Says " It just means I will have a lot more time to do it. " You mean Slot car racing? LOL
I remember in the old days we built the chassis with piano wire. What's the modern day built with?
.072 and .082 piano wire. Just like the real nitro chassis...not much has changed in the past 15 years. Now the motors are a different story. :)

I haven't done slot cars (except HO scale) but I collect 1930's-1970's plastic racing cars....some wind up, some friction, some battery and some nitro powered. Plastic don't last so they can be rare in nice shape. A lot of them run on a tether set up.

IMG_0329.JPG

Bob, these are cool!!! I see a metal one in there & it looks pretty old. I used to do model cars when I was a kid & wish I still had them. I went to a car show in Phoenix Sat, Wheels Thru Time. Oldest car was a 1910 Hudson (engine runs), and cars from 1920's to 1970's. Saw a '59 Buick 4 door. I had a model of a '59 Buick 2 door once that I lowered and entered into a model car show. Old memories. :)

Last edited:
Drag racing slots are pretty addictive, I must warn you. My racing buddy Don drug me out to a track in Apple Valley and next thing I knew I have a large box filled with over a dozen cars, including tributes to Shirley, Jungle Jim and Pat Foster. Really fun. We run on occasion at Buena Park. The locals are deadly.

Attachments

• setzer_big.jpg
    setzer_big.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 20
  • shirleySS_big.jpg
    shirleySS_big.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 21
  • usa1_big.jpg
    usa1_big.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 18
Cool cars! Those are serious wheelie bars. Do they do wheelies or are the wheelie bars to control the car?

Drag racing slots are pretty addictive, I must warn you. My racing buddy Don drug me out to a track in Apple Valley and next thing I knew I have a large box filled with over a dozen cars, including tributes to Shirley, Jungle Jim and Pat Foster. Really fun. We run on occasion at Buena Park. The locals are deadly.
I haven't seen you there in a while. You missed a good race a couple of weeks ago. They had a 203 car bracket race that paid $700.00 to win and $300.00 for runnerup.

Hey Mark.... the NHRA cut back on the wheelie bar lengths, so....here's the wire snips 🤪

Hey Cliff.... the blue one with the original flaking paint is a metal COX Thimbledrome. Wish it was nitro powered but it was a kid's push model.
The red one with the pipe in front of the driver is a nitro powered Pagliuso Jet....all plastic with a .060 motor on a aluminum rear axle.
Not sure , but the yellow and red Irwin wind up with original box behind it may be the oldest. The blue one in front is a 1947 Indy 500 souvenir

Hey Eugene, Now that you're retired from the competition, Are you gonna play the P.T.W. game? You don't hafta answer to a boss now! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back