The 2020 March Meet (1 Viewer)

glofria

Nitro Member
Got a note yesterday from a very reliable source (the track PR guy) that there will be no Live Feed of this event this year.

You want to see it, you better go.

There was a rumor running around at Indy last year that the March Meet, National Hot Rod Reunion and California Hot Rod Reunion would be on NHRA.tv this year and going forward. I guess that isn't happening either?

Competition Plus always post round by round coverage

Chris, NHRA.Tv doesnt do a live feed at the March Meet but it would be cool if they did.

I have always loved going to Bakersfield for the week of the March Meet and HRR starting the the week out on Thursday night at the large car show in the parking lot of Chuy's and the Roadhouse where John Hale always displayed his nostalgia fc and then treated his team and myself to a steak dinner in the Roadhouse, or firing up the Hot4Teacher fc at Hooters or Chuy's . There is nothing like starting the morning out with a 3 egg, country potatoes,, biscuit and gravy, and a ham steak as big as Dallas breakfast at Zingos with a number of the other teams. Then seeing some awesome racing all day before finishing out the night at the Wool Growers for dinner, or the Worshams blown nitro margarita mixer party at the track. It is always cool to see Cruz Pedregon or Richard Hartman bring their cars west to run out here also. But, the past few years I have really missed seeing the Worshams fc, Heads fc, Hot4Teacher fc, Nitro Cowboy fc, John Hales fc and Pluegers fc. Now there will be another void in my excitement level with the departure of the High Speed NTF team.:(

Last edited:
I have always loved going to Bakersfield for the week of the March Meet and HRR starting the the week out on Thursday night at the large car show in the parking lot of Chuy's and the Roadhouse where John Hale always displayed his nostalgia fc and then treated his team and myself to a steak dinner in the Roadhouse, or firing up the Hot4Teacher fc at Hooters or Chuy's . There is nothing like starting the morning out with a 3 egg, country potatoes,, biscuit and gravy, and a ham steak as big as Dallas breakfast at Zingos with a number of the other teams. Then seeing some awesome racing all day before finishing out the night at the Wool Growers for dinner, or the Worshams blown nitro margarita mixer party at the track. It is always cool to see Cruz Pedregon or Richard Hartman bring their cars west to run out here also. But, the past few years I have really missed seeing the Worshams fc, Heads fc, Hot4Teacher fc, Nitro Cowboy fc, John Hales fc and Pluegers fc. Now there will be another void in my excitement level with the departure of the High Speed NTF team.:(

They say that if there is on thing consistent in life, it is change. The racing will still be great and well worth the trip.

Eugene, may I suggest making some friends with some of the AA/FA teams. They always seem to have geat BBQ.

Better yet, now that your retired, hit me up and I'll take you on a ride up to Santa Maria for some dry rubbed ribs at either The Hitching Post, Shaw's or Jocko's. Foster's paint & Body has a slot car dragstrip at their shop and we'll go look at the new track being built (soon I hope) outside of town.

I have to say that the shutting down of the High Speed Motorsports Team really does not come as a surprise to me at all. Granted, I am more in tune to the scene than most here, but Tom Shelar really had an impact on the whole nostalgia racing scene here on the west coast. Even though he was one man on one team, he really was a driving force what happened behind the scenes and what you saw on the track.

As always, drag racing will recover and there will be another team that will step up and be the one to watch. Word is that there will be 12 N/TF cars going for an 8 car field with some of the heavy hitter on hand. Guys like Jim Murphy and the WWII car, Champion Speed Shop, Dan Horan in his dad's tribute car and (the one I think has the most potential to win it all this year) Pete Wittenburg in the Circuit Breaker car.

That's not even counting the N/FC or the AA/FA. All told there should be close to 60 nitro cars in competition.

Gino, what is going on with 7.0 Pro and A/FD? You think there will be good car counts in those classes? Yes those are 2 of my fav's.

Made the trek to Bakersfield from Virginia, back in 2015 for the March Meet. Friday - Sunday was a BLAST! It was such a throwback to the days I remember as a kid! Everyone on the grounds were just happy to be there, so the vibe was family oriented.
The only race I've been to, that every round on Sunday was more and more depressing because I knew we were closer to leaving :-(

Can't wait to go back!

Even though some of my favorites are not there anymore...I still go and I still have a blast. I might just change things up a little this year and start the day out with a chicken fried steak as big as Dallas instead of a ham steak. :D

Eugene, we're going to have to wean you off that trucker's mentality and get you a good breakfast like at Milt's. LOL

Cliff, last year 7.0 Pro had 21 car in class and A/F had 7. I'd say that's about right for this year. Keep in mind that the sportsman racers only get 1 qualifier on Thursday and i on Friday. That is a big turn-off for the sportsman racers (myself included), but some are still willing to be part of the show.

I may go up on Saturday only. We'll see what the weather is like.

i always go just for friday,less people,get to see all the cars and talk to all the people.i also will miss the high speed team,got to talk to mendy a little at pomona

Well Eugene, Now that you are retired, I guess Shady Maple is out of the question unless, you start a Go Fund Me page for gas money! LOL :cool:
We also have a place here named "Chickies and Petes" Awesome Crab fries and Mussels in red sauce! Then there is "Na-Braza" , A Brazilian steak house where they come to your table with an overload of meat! Bacon wrapped filet sound good? If you rent a Smart car, it should cost you like $15 in gas. 👍

Last edited:
Even though some of my favorites are not there anymore...I still go and I still have a blast. I might just change things up a little this year and start the day out with a chicken fried steak as big as Dallas instead of a ham steak. :D[/Q

In my opinion if you're looking for a great and filling breakfast you should try J's Place. They are about a mile West of Chuy's at Rosedale and Calloway. Great southern cooking. IMHO they have the best chicken fried chicken anywhere. If you're a health nut probably not the place for you.

Great chicken fried steak in California...that's an oxymoron statement. Great chicken fried steak comes from the south where they know how to make great gravy, how to bread the meat just right and what to marinate it in to get the right flavor and tenderness plus what sides to serve with it. Milts is good but if you want great go south by southeast. It's a way of life and a religious experience in Dixie.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back