Team Mopar Driver Johnson Eager to Claim First Win of Season at Englishtown (1 Viewer)

Smiley

Nitro Member
Auburn Hills, Mich. — Team Mopar® NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson is well acquainted with the rich history of Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, N.J. The Greeneville, Tenn. native would like nothing better than to add his name to the list of winners at the famed quarter-mile, which hosted one of the original seven NHRA national events, as he seeks to advance to his first final round at the track and of the year at the 42nd Annual NHRA SuperNationals, June 2–5.

Johnson has reached the NHRA Pro Stock semifinals twice at Englishtown, first in 2006 and then again in 2009. The Mopar Dodge Avenger driver was the top qualifier at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 2006 and has been among the top half of the field in qualifying six times in his career at the track.

“We are getting ready for the summer and the hot-weather events,” said Johnson. “We tested at Bristol and it was close to 90 there, so we have gotten a good christening for the hot weather. We are working on some hot-track set-ups and have found a few things that should benefit our program. Englishtown is actually only supposed to be in the high 70s, so we may not have the heat there, though the weather changes from day to day. But at least we will prepared.”

Johnson heads to Englishtown eighth in the NHRA Pro Stock standings on the strength of five round wins this season, including a run to the semifinals at Atlanta on May 15. Johnson downed Jason Line in the opening round at Englishtown last season before falling to Jeg Coughlin in the quarterfinals.

The J&J Racing team owner and driver reached the quarterfinals in the last NHRA event at Topeka on May 22, after qualifying third, which marked his fourth third-place qualifying effort of the season. Johnson has been ninth or better in qualifying in all seven races this season, turning a pass of seventh or better six times, as he continues to be one of the most consistent drivers in Pro Stock qualifying.

“I think we are on track,” noted Johnson heading into the eighth of 22 events this season. “We had an unfortunate deal at Topeka. We had mechanical issues that went sour and we didn’t catch it in time. If we did, I think we could have went some rounds. Our Mopar-powered Dodge Avenger is working really well. I’m happy with how I’ve been driving. I really think we are right where we need to be, and that first win of the season is right around the corner.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back