T/AD Progress (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Was looking at some photos I shot Feb 2000, at the NHRA national event at then Firebird, now Wild Horse. Noted that Rick Santos ran the quickest ET ever for blown alky at 5.317 @ over 260. So, 19 years later, Shawn Cowie holds the mark at 5.151 280 plus. I know that the rules have changed over the years, but to take 19 years to pick up .16 in ET.... I really think that a blown alky dragster with 500" motor and no restrictions on fuel pump, or heads, or blower, could run 4.90's at 286-287. Just my 2 cents. Randy, am I nuts? You are the alky guy, so value your opinion.

Was looking at some photos I shot Feb 2000, at the NHRA national event at then Firebird, now Wild Horse. Noted that Rick Santos ran the quickest ET ever for blown alky at 5.317 @ over 260. So, 19 years later, Shawn Cowie holds the mark at 5.151 280 plus. I know that the rules have changed over the years, but to take 19 years to pick up .16 in ET.... I really think that a blown alky dragster with 500" motor and no restrictions on fuel pump, or heads, or blower, could run 4.90's at 286-287. Just my 2 cents. Randy, am I nuts? You are the alky guy, so value your opinion.
You’re not nuts, but, if you take away all those restrictions, I’m thinking car counts would dwindle even further. The alky categories are not for the faint of heart, budget wise, aa they are now. Bigger, better and faster always means more money. Still, would be fun to see!!

I'd love to see A/fuel dragster with clutch and fuel management and on 100%!

Look at what Rick’s car weighed vs Cowie’s as well. Unlimited A/Fuel... now that would be sweet

No clutch mgmt..Just a glide style clutch with 12 or so levers and lots of weight on them. very low RPM on the run. Control fuel a little bit.

There's only so much you can do with these cars. Most of the gains in recent years have been in cylinder head development and now even intake manifolds are changing a bit.
It is still a weight-to-cubic inch class.
There are things being done with cams and the cranks (changing stroke) to the engines. Blowers haven't changed in years - it is what it is.
Another thing is that there aren't many people building TA/D cars anymore. Look at the age of some of the chassis of some of the cars out there. You might be surprised at the age of some.
That leaves guys trying to fight the A-Fuel cars looking for chassis guys to front-half their cars every 2-3 years? depending on the number of laps/year, wear and tear, etc.
A-Fuel teams can take a Top Fuel chassis and make it work but now so much for an TA/D application.
Driving an alcohol car is not easy and getting the car off the starting line is the most difficult part. The foot-swap has to be just about perfect. If not... Shake or Smoke is in your near future.
I have the utmost respect for anyone that can drive these cars (well).

I have the utmost respect for anyone that can drive these cars (well).

I've felt for many years that an alcohol funny car would have to rank at the top in regards to degree of difficulty to drive, and drive well. Over recent years, I would say some Pro Mod combinations could make their own argument, but other than that, I would think the alky funny would pose the strongest challenge to a driver.

Sean D

Never got to drive a Pro Mod (I'd sure like too) but an Alcohol FC can be a handful for sure. A lot going on in there and you need to be very accurate in everything you do.

What if a A/F team entered a T/F race and got paid qualifying money. In these days of short T/F fields, is this possible. Maybe then we could see what one of these could run set on kill. I remember a of of junior fuel cars filling out the field of a late 60's PDA race at OCIR.

I meant to take nothing away from alky funny car drivers. Sorry if my points were taken that way. I should have clarified by saying a blown alcohol combination with a a clutch...

What if a A/F team entered a T/F race and got paid qualifying money. In these days of short T/F fields, is this possible. Maybe then we could see what one of these could run set on kill. I remember a of of junior fuel cars filling out the field of a late 60's PDA race at OCIR.

Wouldn't pass tech, too many differences in the cars themselves.

Alan

...and what? Be 7 tenths slower than the #1 qualifier? I'd rather go fishing.

IHRA tried this back during the later Torco days with little success.

Back in the late 70's we ran our BB/FC at a few Div.3 points meets in the AA class. We even went a round or two

IHRA tried this back during the later Torco days with little success.
Correct, but like anything else, if the current crop of A/FD racers had the time to work with those kind of unrestricted rules, they’d end up flying. It always takes time to get new combos to work.

rick santo's! watching that screaming small block putting the big engines in there transporters was worth the price of admission. if shawn or joey could run T/F with what they have, consistency would land them a shot in this years countdown in T/F. the turnout for pomona winternationals reflects this sport is in big trouble. look what happened to NASCAR. pomona was like indy. you just had to be there. now the attitude is you can miss a event or 2 and make countdown easy. why not? we are down to 10 -12 T/F cars that will make the complete tour this season. tony could miss 5 races and make the countdown without breaking a sweat. and i expect he will do just that.

Don’t know if it has been mentioned, but that 5.31 Santos ran at Firebird was with a “C” Blower that was banned by NHRA! If that Blower was legal, 4.90’s would be possible! Makes much more Boost

Santos did run 5.293 / 266.11 at Maple grove in 2001, with a legal blower, though, he was beat by Hentges who ran a 5.338 / 265.22, on a hole shot. Hentges ran over 271 in Mission in 2004. All with legal blowers. The advancements in heads have made big difference since then, along with ignition and improvements in valvetrain components.

Gary Ormsby jr ran 5.13 in Randy Meyers Dragster at HRP. Then I think Riechert ran 5.11 at Houston at that time I don't think NHRA was very happy about either run.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back