Suggestion for the NHRA Awards Ceremony! (1 Viewer)

Leebone

Nitro Member
This message goes straight to the NHRA ...if any of you are reading. Is there any possible way you can put the "whole" awards ceremony on DVD? I for one, would gladly pay $19.99, which is the same cost as the "Year In Review" DVD. The reason I ask this is, the ESPN2 taping of the ceremony is so edited and hacked up, it's nearly unbearable to watch. It's really hurting the reputations of the drivers too. A few members of Nitromater, being the critical mass that it is, are already ripping a certain driver because he "supposedly" left his crew chief out in his acceptance speech. I believe it most obviously got edited out by ESPN2. The same thing happened a few years ago when Larry Dixon apparently forgot to mention Dick LaHaie....which is NOT true.

If not a DVD, then this next suggestion goes out to ESPN2. Can you show the WHOLE acceptance speeches? Even if it means airing it at 3am. Most of us have VCRs or Tivo. I'm sure that would be better than Mongolian Rickshaw Races or whatever you have at that time slot. Just a suggestion.

Lee

Last edited:
Well, if they did do that, it would certainly increase the sales of their Full Throttle energy drink...cuz you'd need two or three just to get through the whole tape without dozing off.

It's a very dry ceremony. I went a couple of times when it was in Cerritos and the only saving grace was Force's speech.

Well, if they did do that, it would certainly increase the sales of their Full Throttle energy drink...cuz you'd need two or three just to get through the whole tape without dozing off.

It's a very dry ceremony. I went a couple of times when it was in Cerritos and the only saving grace was Force's speech.

Well then, better editing of the speeches should certainly be addressed. Tony Pedregon did it the right way last year. He brought his crew on stage. That way they couldn't be missed or edited out.

Better idea yet.........Step up to the plate and show it like NASCAR does!!! Hince live and spend some f'in money to promote and help the sport grow.

Better idea yet.........Step up to the plate and show it like NASCAR does!!! Hince live and spend some f'in money to promote and help the sport grow.

NASCAR does not have to spend any money to air their awards ceremony, it is worked into their TV contract ... TNT or ESPN or whoever has no choice but to air it ... they PAID NASCAR for it.

NHRA has to PAY to be on TV. That means they have to PAY to air the awards ceremony. BIG DIFFERENCE. What's the ROI on a 3 hour awards ceremony? How would that grow the sport?

The way I see it, NHRA is not going to please ANY of you. If they didn't PAY to get the ceremony on TV ... you would cry. They do pay to put it on TV, but they edit it to fit into 1 hour ... you cry AND unnecessarily slag a Champion driver. If they did air the whole ceremony ... you would cry that it was too long and boring.

I mean seriously folks ...

The ONLY person with a reasonable idea was Lee ... put out a DVD so the folks that want to see the whole deal can pony up a few bucks AND NHRA would actually recoup a few bucks!!!

I've heard in year's past they'd do comedy skits and the like that nobody gets to see unless they are there!

DVD...DVD...DVD...DVD

20$ is cheaper than showing up in person. Online works too, let me buy it and download it.

DVD...DVD...DVD...DVD

HAH! The only live of the NASCAR banquet will be on ESPN Classic....Not many households have that, do they? I don't...

i agree bill. i went to the 03 ceromony and man was it boring, lasted about 2 and a half hours. best part was mingling and talking to the drivers in the lobby before the ceromony.

My $0.02...

I attended the Awards Ceremonies before they were televised and the first few years they were broadcast from Cerritos.

The Cerritos shows had a much higher production value - because NHRA and Winston stepped up the budget significantly. Once the cameras were brought in though issues of time constraint and production seemed to take over. And the event lost some (or most) of its personality.

The ceremonies held at the Red Lion though were intimate and "loose". Among the memories I can remember...it was many years and braincells ago:

1) Sitting up front and our table busting up Deb Brittsan while she was standing behind a particular Winston Champion during his acceptance speech.

2) Betting one of Ace's crew guys an "over/under" on the length of Force's acceptance speech. I took the over on 15 minutes...he came in at 15:35.

3) The music videos - this may be where someone thought there were skits. Actually, Jim Trace worked with Diamond P to create some very cool music videos - some of the videos required filming drivers singing along in the pits (again, this might be where you thought there were skits).

4) The short drive home from Ontario to San Dimas!

Hey Mitch,

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and all is well with you and yours.

Don't worry about a few brain cells today...it only gets worse quite rapidly!!!!

I too have fond memories of those earlier awards ceremonies/banquets.

I started doing them when the WF was in Amarillo...one year at the city auditorium...a big, big room without many people....then to the Big Texan Steak House with rattlesnake as an appetizer. That was a treat...tastes just like chicken!!!

Continued doing them thru various venues ranging from Griswold's to the Red Lion to Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts to the Universal Amphitheater.

There were great ones, good ones...and some that went with those elusive brain cells.

You are right about the staging and the videos...some of them were the drivers in a semblance of comedy skits. Some worked...some didn't...kinda like the emcee!!!

Take care and have a great holiday. Hope to see you soon.

MaC

My suggestion for the awards show would be a Bob and Alan show, kind of laural and hardy type act... 'hey alan who's the guy driving aj's top fueler'?
'yes'!
'so what's his name'?
'i dont know'
...both together...
'ask the agent':) ...oh and a swimsuit and talent portion would do well for ratings!

Wow, these acceptance speechs must really be long. That's all I'm really interested in. From what I saw on TV, the most humorous speech was Mike Neff's. Who da thunk that?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back