Specs for TF/FC rev-limiter (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Anybody know where to find the specs (and link) for the NHRA mandated MSD rev-limiter for TF and FC? I looked on MSD's site, CompPlus, DRO, NHRA.com, etc and can't find a damn thing. You'd think **** like this would be easy to find. :mad:

Last edited:
Anybody know where to find the specs (and link) for the NHRA mandated MSD rev-limiter for TF and FC? I looked on MSD's site, CompPlus, DRO, NHRA.com, etc and can't find a damn thing. You'd think **** like this would be easy to find. :mad:

I'm looking at the '08 rule book, so I can't give you a page reference to the '09 book (in my trailer), and of course NHRA shuffled the book's entire order, but this part didn't change and it says:

ENGINE RPM CONTROLLER
Use of MSD 8971 mandatory. Setting: delay, 3.0 seconds; rpm 8,250; retard rate, 50 degrees/second for the first 0.10-second, after 0.10-second, retard at 25 degrees/second to a maximum of 20 degrees.

I'm looking at the '08 rule book, so I can't give you a page reference to the '09 book (in my trailer), and of course NHRA shuffled the book's entire order, but this part didn't change and it says:

ENGINE RPM CONTROLLER
Use of MSD 8971 mandatory. Setting: delay, 3.0 seconds; rpm 8,250; retard rate, 50 degrees/second for the first 0.10-second, after 0.10-second, retard at 25 degrees/second to a maximum of 20 degrees.

Thank you, Chris. I guess they updated since I last looked at it because the last numbers I remember were 3.8 seconds, 8500 rpm and the timing retard was different.

I would have thought this info would be easy to find but it's not. I wasted nearly half an hour using Google and Bing, looked on the websites I mentioned above and looked through old threads here. :rolleyes: If somebody like me knows where to search and can't find info how are people new to the sport supposed to find anything? Makes you wonder.

I would have thought this info would be easy to find but it's not. I wasted nearly half an hour using Google and Bing, looked on the websites I mentioned above and looked through old threads here. :rolleyes: If somebody like me knows where to search and can't find info how are people new to the sport supposed to find anything? Makes you wonder.

Well, it's right there in the rulebook, but unlike IHRA, NHRA doesn't post the rulebook on the web. I guess they figure they can make $10 a pop for them, or hold your NHRA membership as ransom for one. Seems like the rulebook is an awfully petty way for NHRA to make a $...

Well, it's right there in the rulebook, but unlike IHRA, NHRA doesn't post the rulebook on the web. I guess they figure they can make $10 a pop for them, or hold your NHRA membership as ransom for one. Seems like the rulebook is an awfully petty way for NHRA to make a $...

Gee, it was only a buck when I was a pup... back when a drag race was one horsepower and a sled with weights on it....

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back