So is nitrous dead in Pro Mod? (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member

I don't think the NHRA wants it to be dead, but weight and cu in is the only adjustment they have for these cars .... so weight is what gets used when they don't like the MPH/ET. Turbo cars have to have the highest MPH or they can't be competitive (In my view at the moment), so I think they don't like seeing the nitrous cars own the high mph. The problem facing the NHRA is that the nitrous cars make at least 50% of their own atmosphere ... so in bad conditions they are going to have an advantage because they displace moisture rather than compress it. To me, I don't think they've taken that enough into account with the latest adjustment (says the guy trying to switch from nitrous to nitro....)

The only thing that can save the nitrous car counts is the 959 engine. I‘m not an expert on the subject but I think NHRA is the only organization with the 903 cubic inch maximum. If they were to change the rule it would open up the class to a large base of nitrous racers. Chad Green was for the change but Bob Rahaim was fighting it. Not sure how Ricky Smith feels about it. It’s a big investment for the three currently running to change combos.

If NHRA did allow the 959, I wonder if they would allow more boost to the turbo & blower motors? I think the 959 would give at least .10 & probably more & maybe a couple MPH. I know the PDRA nitrous cars are knocking on the door of the 3.50's and 210 in the 1/8 mile, but are also lighter. Ya gotta wonder what a PDRA legal nitrous car could run in the 1/4 mile.

If NHRA did allow the 959, I wonder if they would allow more boost to the turbo & blower motors? I think the 959 would give at least .10 & probably more & maybe a couple MPH. I know the PDRA nitrous cars are knocking on the door of the 3.50's and 210 in the 1/8 mile, but are also lighter. Ya gotta wonder what a PDRA legal nitrous car could run in the 1/4 mile.
At this point, I doubt the NHRA does anything that involves speeding up the cars. It seems like the racers are already running times/speeds that are raising red flags. If the 959 combo were to be allowed, I bet they will just get weight added to keep them in line with the current cars. And then someone will complain because x-combo is getting an unfair advantage/is being unfairly picked on, and we'll be right back to where we started (sorry, I'm cynical).

I think any moves regarding maintaining parity should involve slowing down the outperforming combo, rather than speeding the others up. Maybe I'm wrong, but suspended door cars that weigh what the PM cars do, probably don't need to be going a lot faster than they are now. JMO

whatever happened to
"Here are the rules for the year. Run according to this and to the winner go the spoils"
"Here are next years rules. Please note the new changes for the classes. Run according to this and to the winner go the spoils"

whatever happened to
"Here are the rules for the year. Run according to this and to the winner go the spoils"
"Here are next years rules. Please note the new changes for the classes. Run according to this and to the winner go the spoils"

News flash - for the 2020 season, everyone gets a championship. This, of course, is sarcasm. I don't think that would ever fly in drag racing.

whatever happened to
I agree! Changes should only be made in the off season except in the name of safety. I certainly wouldn't be adjusting rules so deep into a season.

If you think rules need addressed look at the TAD regional at Virginia
Let's see, we have a cold front come through and drop the dew point into the forties on a super smooth non porous track and you've got tuners who know they have to throw a ton at it to keep from weak shake and you are surprised the guys with really deep pockets are going fast? The downforce and lack of suspension in TAD and TAFC doesn't compare to pro mod, they are running the top fuel tire, I'm confused. Is there a lot of carnage in the TAD class out there?

Dan's 60 ft in Q3 being a tick from .899 is pretty cool! That track has a lot to do with the ability to run that fast (and not have carnage ... you are keeping a nitro engine consistently loaded and its gonna make power).

Last edited:
Let's see, we have a cold front come through and drop the dew point into the forties on a super smooth non porous track and you've got tuners who know they have to throw a ton at it to keep from weak shake and you are surprised the guys with really deep pockets are going fast? The downforce and lack of suspension in TAD and TAFC doesn't compare to pro mod, they are running the top fuel tire, I'm confused. Is there a lot of carnage in the TAD class out there?

Dan's 60 ft in Q3 being a tick from .899 is pretty cool! That track has a lot to do with the ability to run that fast (and not have carnage ... you are keeping a nitro engine consistently loaded and its gonna make power).
Thank you mister White for your great insight -Mike Kosky

So, we have blown, turbo, and nitrous cars, with possibly pro chargers in 2020. Why, then, can't NHRA also allow an a-fuel combo in Pro Mod? For example, would 95 or 96% with appropriate weight allow for parity with the other combinations?

So, we have blown, turbo, and nitrous cars, with possibly pro chargers in 2020. Why, then, can't NHRA also allow an a-fuel combo in Pro Mod? For example, would 95 or 96% with appropriate weight allow for parity with the other combinations?
Why not Nitro alky funny car?

If you had a nitro motor in Pro Mod with 96%, the car would weigh 3000 lbs...... There was a team that wanted to run a nitro motor in P/M some years ago, & NHRA said 50% max. So much for that car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back