Snake InnerView in DRO (1 Viewer)

"Like I said, I’m really pleased with the thousand-foot thing. I was pretty amazed they would do that, because that’s been a sacred number, because the sport was built on 1320 feet. I’m amazed how little affect it’s had on the spectators. I’ve not heard one spectator say that it was a bad show because you didn’t run an extra three hundred and twenty feet".

I guess he never really talked to any of the spectators.

it was a damn good read. Congrats as always Darr, no softball questions! Now can we get you to retrain the mainstream media on what journalism is really all about?

it was a damn good read. Congrats as always Darr, no softball questions! Now can we get you to retrain the mainstream media on what journalism is really all about?

Rich, It is always a pleasure to interview the veterans of drag racing about our situation today. Since 1963 the nitro needle has been very deep for me.

Thanks for reading!

Darr

There's very few people who can be called "A legend in their own time", Don Prudomme is one of those people. Excellent interview Darr.

Great job Darr, thanks. I loved the comparison that Snake made between the early days, and nowadays. I think if I were able to rewind my life to the 60s, but exclude going to any drag races, and just start going now, I'd never go a second time. It's the old days, the history, the legend, the mystique, the way it sounded and smelled and looked back then, that keeps me going back today.

Drag Racers were the cowboys of the mid-1900s. They barnstormed, they raced at every dangerous, short-shut-off-dump of a track and packed the people in 10 deep at the fence, and filled every sun-whitened set of bleachers in the country!

I'm so honored to have been part of that, so grateful to have those memories and experiences logged away in memory! When Snake ran his Final Strike Tour in 94, I approached his souvenir trailer. He was signing shirts and hats. I'd just purchased a black Final Strike t-shirt. He said he'd sign it. Then he looked for the gold-ink Sharpie. "Where's that damned gold pen?" He yelled at one of the girls in the trailer. The pen appeared, he signed, and handed the shirt back to me. I looked at him and said, "What I'd really like is to say thanks." I offered my hand, he smiled and shook it . He made my day, and I think I made his, just a little.

Nice InnerView Darr, thanks.
But handicap start fuel cars???? come on Snake. :eek:

Don always has something that he says that throws me. Thats just stupid. The people who put in the time, money, and hard work deserve not to have to give an advantage to others. Let me ask yall this, since it was in reference to car counts. Would you rather have 8 to 10 strong capable cars show up or 8 strong car and 8 leakers with alot more chance of oildowns/messes?

thank you DRO for all your 'innerviews'. i read each one, whether
i am familiar with the person or not.
always insightful.

Good read, thanks for posting that. The thing that struck me was the reference to what I believe is Hillary Will's ride possibly being parked. That would be a shame.

Yepper Dar

Thanks, Since I read it the day it was posted, I've used a couple of his points.

d'kid

"Tony, what's his name"...classic!
"the guy snuck into a race"...hilarious (better than monkey shirts).

Gotta love The Snake.

I agree that was a great article. Pretty funny how he talked about Kalitta being in another world when talking about money.

Aside from the heavy duty topics, there is one part where he talks about the old days of drag racing.
Man, I really really lament not having been born early enouhg to have experienced all that. Especially being here in CA.
The nostalgia events out here are way cool.

....when his team was handing everybody their a$$e$ a couple of years ago.

Good times, good times. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back