six disc clutches (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
Yesterday during the ESPN3 broadcast, it was mentioned several times that teams are using six disc clutches. I though they were tested for a while several years ago, but everyone went back to the five disc clutch. Form what I understand, the discs used in a six disc clutch are thinner are and more prone to warping. They must have figured out that problem.

Then there is the issue that the NHRA banned top fuel performance enhancements for this year. Is there a performance gain to be had using one of these clutches, or, if I understand correctly, is it just simply to keep the clutch from welding together?

The clutch discs are the same, the floaters are thinner. One extra disc is more surface area. Having the flywheel carbides or studs shimmed properly to the motor plate becomes paramount, as the extra weight will black the rear main.

Thanks Bross. You had disappeared for a while so I thought you might be working for a team again and had to keep quiet.

Nope...just haven't logged in in a few months. I help my buddy Dean Alexander on his TF Dragster, but I have a full time job, and a family now. Gotta stay home.

I remember the 6 disk is 'softer' when it does lock up(or something to that effect) several teams have been useing them since last year.
Cruz Pedregon explained the differences on one of the NHRA shows and why he was having "hit and Miss" runs due to the learning curve.
Nice to see a explain of what is needed to run a 6 disk Bross. Do they heat up quicker due to the thinner floaters?

When I was at Forces, we only tested with the 6 disc. I can't give you a for sure answer, but I would think it would heat a little slower since there is an extra disc and floater.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back