Shane Gray ready to begin his Pro Stock career (1 Viewer)

POMONA, Prerace: The newest member of NHRA’s Pro Stock ranks is ready to begin a new chapter in his young career. Shane Gray will make his professional racing debut at the upcoming 50th annual NHRA Kragen O’Reilly Winternationals at the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona.

The 38-year old son of well known racer, Johnny Gray has stepped up from the Competition Eliminator class where he earned a win in Division Four in the Lucas Oil Series and finished 15 in the national point standings last year, both while running a limited schedule.

Gray upgraded his license to Pro stock during the Pro Stock Showdown at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway this past weekend. And the team stayed a few more days to fine-tune the new Jerry Haas Pontiac GXP and to give the new driver more experience and confidence before he faces the competition for the first time while millions of eyes watch.

“Getting in my car for the first time felt good,” described Gray. “Making runs was a little scary the first day; I was really nervous and actually did a terrible job. But the second day was much better. And now that we’ve made a bunch of runs, I’m feeling more comfortable with every one we make. So, hopefully we’ll be okay when we get on the track in Pomona.

“I’m really looking forward to beginning my Pro Stock career at the 50th Winternationals. It’s a milestone race and it will be exciting to be a part of it. Plus the Pro Stock field is the toughest field of classes I know of in any form of motorsports and I will be honored just to get to race with them. If I can pull up and race one of the guys that are in the class on Sunday it will be a special honor for me.”

The second-generation racer knows that joining the professional ranks is a big step not only financially, but that it’s a lifestyle change that takes extreme commitment and support. He is grateful for having that support from everyone in his life.

“I really appreciate the opportunity I have been given,” expressed Gray. “My mother and father have put me in this position because they believe in me. And I’m blessed by God that I have a wonderful wife, Amber, that is my best friend and allows me to do this. She supports me 100 percent and is kind of my mentor in the deal, poking me along with a sharp stick to keep up my confidence and keep things rolling. My wife and my children have to put up with a lot when it comes to my racing, from moving away from the only home they’ve ever known to my being absent from games, school activities, birthdays, quality time and everything else. It’s a very selfish sport that I choose, but luckily I have wonderful parents and wife that allow me to be selfish and do this.”

The Gray Motorsports car and driver are not the only things that are new. The crew is also new. Each is experienced, but the newness lies in their working together as one. Under the watchful eye of dad’s crew chief, Craig Hankinson, things will run smoothly and safely. Mike Earle was promoted from dad’s team to be his car chief.

“I have good faith in all of my guys,” said Gray. “Craig oversees both cars and both teams. Mike is a very smart individual and I think he’ll do great. He came from my dad’s car and knows how our deal works. And everything has been running smooth so far. But we know we need to take baby steps and hopefully we’ll be right in the midst of things in no time.”

The time of being in the midst of things is at hand and Thursday afternoon all the preparation and anticipation will be set into motion as NHRA announcer, Bob Frey will direct all eyes to the Pomona starting line to watch the debut of the newest Pro Stock driver.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back