Rumor (1 Viewer)

Notch1320

BerserkoBob
Nitro Member
Heard through the grapevine last night that the Winternationals ain't happening in April and will be re-scheduled at a date TBD.

I heard rumblings of June or July on a podcast. I think it was from Jeff Arend on the comp plus a while back.

Current rules would allow 20% capacity. My guess is that is not enough for NHRA, especially with covid results getting much, better the chances of much higher attendance later are pretty good. I still think they might do two Vegas events. Otherwise, if Pomona is out, the schedule would be Gainesville-Vegas-Atlanta which makes no sense from a travel perspective.

That makes sense to me. NASCAR is out here right now doing their western swing minus SOCAL. They did Vegas yesterday and they will do Phoenix this coming weekend before heading to Atlanta and then Bristol.

Current rules would allow 20% capacity. My guess is that is not enough for NHRA, especially with covid results getting much, better the chances of much higher attendance later are pretty good. I still think they might do two Vegas events. Otherwise, if Pomona is out, the schedule would be Gainesville-Vegas-Atlanta which makes no sense from a travel perspective.
I was thinking the same thing when they canned the Phoenix event. I was expecting Vegas to be added to fill that hole but when they moved Atlanta to the open weekend after the Phoenix event, I figured that wouldn’t happen. Since we’re about 4 weeks away from Pomona we should get an announcement one way or another very soon.

Otherwise, if Pomona is out, the schedule would be Gainesville-Vegas-Atlanta which makes no sense from a travel perspective.
I retired from the transportation business in 2016 after 26 years and still don’t understand the routing for some of the National events.
Somebody at NHRA needs schooling in transportation logistics, to help cut down travel as much as possible.
And, no, I’m not volunteering for the job. That job sucks your brains right out of your head, and I’m lucky to have what is left.

I retired from the transportation business in 2016 after 26 years and still don’t understand the routing for some of the National events.
Somebody at NHRA needs schooling in transportation logistics, to help cut down travel as much as possible.
And, no, I’m not volunteering for the job. That job sucks your brains right out of your head, and I’m lucky to have what is left.

I think the NHRA tries to not compete with NASCAR as far as scheduling events too close to each other. It's why in a normal year you dont see Pomona-Phoenix-Vegas.

As far as the rumor from what I was told by someone close to our local top fuel team is there was a meeting scheduled with teams last week and they were going to discuss Pomona and it was looking like it was being postponed, not cancelled just postponed. I also asked about running Vegas back to back weekends and he said that didnt sount too likely either so I'm guessing that means Pomona may run in the summer during the western swing like Chris speculated?

Last edited:
There are a lot of factors that have to go into the scheduling of a year long racing series and it isn't always going to be the best way logistics wise. That is why teams look forward to having the schedule as soon as possible so they can figure out the airplane flights, motels, car rentals, and the logistics of getting the haulers to each race track. Plus the smaller budget teams that doesn't have a full time crew has to be able to get the schedule to the crew so they can get those days off from their regular job. That is one reason rain outs and rain delays can be so much more of a burden on an independent team then it is on a full-time team. Just about any schedule will work for a team based in the Midwest where most of the teams are but it can really affect a West Coast team much more logistics wise. If I get an energetic moment maybe I will figure up a logistics schedule and mileage for a West Coast team.

Last edited:
If I get an energetic moment maybe I will figure up a logistics schedule and mileage for a West Coast teams single driver hauler for the 2021 tour.
Don't do it Eugene. You're retired. Stay as far away from logistics as you can.
I'm finally enjoying holidays again.

Very doubtful as major league baseball just got the ok to have a limited number fans in Calif.

I really dont see why this is such a rumor as we all know that there is a whole lot of uncertainty with in any type of crowd these days.

Yet the NHRA web site where racers enter the Winternationals based on grade points is full speed ahead.

The only good place I see for the "Winternationals" is the week before Denver making the swing a 4 race swing. If you put it after Seattle, you would have 6 weeks straight racing. Anything before then is not far enough away to believe anything would change with California policies.

they could have them all at Vegas...instead of at the end of the year VEGAS, week off POMONA just have
VEGAS x3 last year they had INDY x3 i bet nobody would complain about going to VEGAS
if POMONA is a go for the finals they can still do 2 at VEGAS and still finish on schedule
at POMONA... 😵

why even have the race if it doesn't fit in schedule? how many people are going to show up to spectate a pomona race in the hot summer when the show
will be there again in november? the sportsman fields are capped. is there enough gate money from sportsman racers to hold a financially feasible nat. event?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back