Rod and piston longevity - Kalitta Facebook post. (1 Viewer)

I wonder what the costs are for just pistons and rods for one season of drag racing?

I think I now understand why they struggle to get a 16 cars in the show in the nitro classes with the costs simply out of reach for many racers.

My prediction is 12 or 14 cars fields are coming in the future!

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Cranks and rods used to last 10-12 runs but not any more. Cranks are about the same number of runs as rods. Rod bearings are usually history every run as are several mains. You have to check everything on a rod and piston after every run. Rods will get shorter and start to fork. A clean run is much easier on parts than a lost cylinder run. A lost cylinder can mean a twisted and cracked crank. Bill Miller used to say you can use a rod as long as it is in spec but check rod bolt stretch every run. It does not take long for both to be out of spec these days.

I wonder what the costs are for just pistons and rods for one season of drag racing?

I think I now understand why they struggle to get a 16 cars in the show in the nitro classes with the costs simply out of reach for many racers.

My prediction is 12 or 14 cars fields are coming in the future!

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

IMO, you will see 8 car fields sooner than later. It's hard for the sport to show light fields and a first round bye.

nhra needs to examine if they are truly pulling a live audience for 3 days that warrants 4 qualifying passes plus raceday.
16 car fields are easily attainable and i do not see this present format changing, but it's time to curb costs......
runaway spending has already lessened the entertainment value of the product; it is not necessary and needs to change.
other drag racing series are capitalizing on 'entertainment' and siphoning off nhra national event attendance.

If they had an all run Chicago style eliminations in the fuel classes, the whole show could happen on Sunday. That would draw way more spectators. If they have to do 3 days, use day 1 and 2 for sportsman.

I've always wondered what happens to the no-good rods and pistons. Do they get sent to a recycler to be melted down into ingots again?
What about cranks, heads, and blocks that are beyond repair?
I can't image they just get thrown into a landfill.

I've seen John Force personally hand out a lot of used up rods and pistons out to kids as souvenirs over the years. I imagine a lot of other teams do as well. Tom Hoover used to sell them. I remember seeing Ma in charge of that. I remember someone trying to barter the price down to half of what she was asking. She was having none of that, and set him straight quick!

I usually give the used up stuff to kids.....cranks for the most part go to the scrap metal pile.....I would say on Pat's car we are averaging 5 runs on a rod and piston.....last I remember asking it's $125 for a rod $100 for a piston $100 for a wrist pin buttons and rings are cheap but it adds up quick if you start hurting it regularly

Some of the stuff can be made into things that can be sold. I have a rod and piston with a clock in the big end, from Darrel Gwynns car, signed bu Darrel. Yes it's old.

I believe some of the top teams have a run limit on cranks, and maybe other parts, then they are cycled out and alky or nostalgia guys can get X amount of additional runs out of them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back