RIP Bill Simpson (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
A true pioneer who actually raced in the Indy 500
He saved countless lives and continues to do so.
He also lived a VERY Full life, just read his book.
I am proud to say he was my friend, The deck at Rick's Boatyard in Indy won't be the same without him.

RIP Bill

Alan

When I was a kid in the mid '60s, I thought it was the coolest thing to see the cross-form drag chutes blossom at the end of a top fuel run at the drag strip.

There was a really big hill behind our house, and we would coast down that thing on our bikes. We'd be traveling at a pretty good clip at the bottom. Some of the kids wouldn't be able to stop and would dump thier bikes, incurring lots of road rash. I made a pair of drag chutes for my bike and "dumped the laundry" at the bottom of the hill. Did it really slow me down? I doubt it, but my buddies thought it was pretty cool looking.

RIP Bill. Thank you for saving so many lives.

I rember going to his house/garage numerous times to pick up a parachute for our j/f car (Cernys) and took a few tries until it worked like Bill wanted. Helped him in the garage once,. Bill undoubtedly saved more lives in racing than anyone and always worked at making racers safer. I understand that his latest venture was to design a better helmet for football. He had done testing and his helmet was far superior to what is currently used. Just a problem was working with the NFL.
Bill will be missed. RIP

We probably wouldn't have the E.T.'s or speed we see today had Mr. Simpson not come up with a way to stop the cars using just brakes.
RIP Mr. Simpson.

Amen to what everyone has posted. There are quite a number of drag racers still around because of his inventions. I remember the silver colored suits he first produced in the early 60's. The racers grabbed those suits up. Ask Don Garlits what is feels like to be burned. He had a bad fire & all he had was leather jacket, helmet & goggles.

Bill was due to fly to England four weeks ago to attend our annual British Drag Racing Hall of Fame Gala, where he was to receive our Mopar Performance Lifetime Achievement Award. Sad to say, he was unable to travel. Waterbed Fred Miller collected the Award on Bill's behalf. It was presented by Steve Gibbs. Steve and Dan Richins carried it back to California for him, so we hope Bill at least saw it in time.

For all the lives you saved, endless contributions to the advancement of motorsports, I thank you. Your name deserves to be memorialized in all halls of fame and everyone owes a debt of gratitude.
You deserve to rest in peace

Often times we measure the giants of our sport by races or championships won. I am not aware of any significant race that Bill Simpson won but there are very few men as accomplished in motorsport as Bill Simpson. He leaves a giant hole across all of motorsports and he will be missed.

Rest in peace Bill. There is no way anyone could put a number on how many lives you saved and continue to save.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back